Chapter Thirty-four

Nae Idol

She wasn't sure how long she sat there, but when her toes were becoming numb, she dimly thought about getting up and going home. Just when she thought that, she felt a warm finger brush a tear from her face.

Yoongi?” she whispered, and opened her eyes to see Jungkook crouched down in front of her. He was looking at her intently, and in a way that made Seung Hee think that he was looking at her like you would look at a hurt wild animal – carefully and slowly, afraid to hurt or to startle.

Yoongi, huh?” he he said softly. “Seung Hee, get up now. You're freezing.”

He helped her up and took off his coat. He put it around her carefully and she asked, “How did you know that I was here?”

Yoongi hyung told me what happened, and asked me to come get you since he couldn't come back.”

Why not?” she demanded.

Seung Hee, people here recognized him-”

He pushed me away,” she said. “I tried to hold on but he pushed me away!”

He can't be seen with you-”

Is he still that ashamed of me? Am I really so bad that I can't be acknowledged?”

You know that's not it,” said Jungkook. “I know that you're upset, but think about it: what will happen if you are seen getting into Yoongi hyung's car?” Jungkook gave her no time to answer. “A scandal will break out, that's what. The entire band will get affected and I know groups who had to disband because no one wanted anything to do with them anymore because of a scandal. BTS could be ruined – do you want that for Yoongi?”

No,” she muttered. “But it's not fair...”

Life's not fair,” said Jungkook. “And there's nothing you can do to change that.”

He turned the heat up in the car and began to drive to Yoongi's apartment, and Seung Hee realized how cold she really was. Anyway, Jungkook was right, but that didn't take away the hurt.

Have you got any idea how upset he is?” asked Jungkook suddenly. “He called me, and you know the first thing he said? He said, 'Jungkook, I'm useless, I can't even take her with me.'”

He waited for that to sink in before saying, “Don't hurt Yoongi hyung. I didn't give you up just so that you two could fight. Please don't make me regret giving you up.”

Seung Hee was taken aback - she had never really thought that Jungkook had actually let her go, but of course he had – he had stopped calling every day, he had stopped saying bad things about Yoongi, he had stopped trying to take her hand, and he had never repeated his confession. How stupid of her not to realize! She had always thought that she and Yoongi got together naturally – but in fact, Jungkook had helped. He had made her realize how she felt about Yoongi that day when he had locked her and Yoongi up in his flat. What could she say to Jungkook now?

The atmosphere between them grew heavy, and at last they reached the underground parking lot of Yoongi's apartment building – and someone was waiting and ran towards the car.

Seung Hee got out and that person, Yoongi, worry etched on his face, pulled her to him and checked to see whether she was hurt.

Oh, gods,” he said frantically. “I was so worried – yah, are you ok? Are you hurt?”

His concern soothed her – Jungkook was right, Yoongi had no choice and there was no point in getting mad.

I'm fine,” she said. “Really – I'm just cold.”

Yoongi immediately took his scarf off and wrapped it around her neck.

Wait,” he said. “This isn't your coat.”

It's Jungkook's,” explained Seung Hee. “I was really cold.”

I see.”

She took off the coat and walked to the driver's side. Jungkook rolled down the window and she held out his coat.

Thank you,” she said.

Jungkook took his coat with a smile, but it was wrong somehow – it seemed forced.

Yoongi put his arm around Seung Hee and said, “Yeah, thank you, Jungkook.”

He nodded and backed out. Seung Hee waved until the car was out of sight, and Yoongi said, “I'm so glad you're back.”

I wasn't gone for a long time,” she said.

He pulled her into a tight hug. She could feel his body heat though his coat and buried her face in his chest. She loved it when Yoongi held her, she loved his warmth, his smell – in fact, being in Yoongi's arms like this was her favourite place to be. Whenever he held her like this, so securely, she felt as though everything would be all right as long as he was there, and she never wanted him to let go.

But he did, and suddenly fumbled around in his pocket. “I got you something...”

He gave her a small white cardboard box. Inside, nestled in pink tissue paper, was a chocolate person. It had red hair, a black jacket open over a whit T-shirt, dark skinny jeans, dark eyes, and a tiny smile. Seung Hee couldn't believe it - Yoongi had gotten it right.

Is this it?” he asked, suddenly anxious. “I wasn't sure, but…. Do you like it?”

I love it,” she whispered. “But how did you figure it out?”

I just thought… when you said 'nae idol', I thought that you maybe you were talking about me – because I'm an idol, and because I'm yours.”

Seung Hee couldn't speak – it was so unexpected that he would say something like that…

Because I'm yours…

I'm yours...

So,” he said, almost timidly. “Did I do well?”

You did perfect,” she said – that guy was nervous! What an idiot, really. “Thank you, Yoongi.”

Yoongi's cheeks turned pink. He looked at her, then at the floor, and the corners of his mouth twitched.

Yah, Yoongi,” said Seung Hee. “You did perfect!”

She smiled and gave him a thumbs up.

This worked: he finally looked at her, and his warm eyes turned into little half-moons as a small smile played at his lips.

 

* * * *

 

When Seung Hee woke up the next day, she immediately felt that something was different. Of course – Yoongi! Last night, Seung Hee had snuggled up to him, and he her hair until she fell asleep. And the best part was that he was still here.

He was still here – she could not get over this fact. He had stayed with her, and for the first time, they were waking up together. Well, he was still sleeping, but they were together.

Yoongi's chest rose and fell rhythmically, and she listened to his even breathing. Unthinkingly, Seung Hee traced his lips with her finger. Those lips had stretched upwards yesterday, in a smile just for her. She knew it was just for her, and felt like hugging herself.

Yoongi's eyes fluttered open. “You ert.”

Yah!” she yelled, withdrawing her hand. “I'm not!”

Only erts like you do weird things to people while they sleep.”

I wasn't doing weird things!”

"I'm going to take a shower now, so don't sneak in.”

YAH!”

He grinned and got up and went to the bathroom, and Seung Hee rolled onto his spot. It was warm and smelled just like him. Why did he smell so good? It wasn't like it was perfume or anything.

She was dozing back to sleep when Yoongi tapped her on the head, frowning impatiently.

Yah,” he said. “Hurry and make breakfast, I'm hungry.”

"Why should I make it?” she asked sleepily.

I made it last time! It's your turn today.”

That actually sounded logical. Taking turns at making breakfast with Yoongi… there was something that seemed special in that.

Ah, fine!” She rolled off the edge of the bed and got up, and he gave her a push towards the door, and she got the message and went to the kitchen to find something to eat.

She finally settled on toast – Yoongi wouldn't mind as long as there was plenty of jam – and she was right in the middle of making his coffee when he appeared, breathtaking as usual.

Yoongi's hair was wet and hung in his eyes, which seemed more intense and fiery today. He wore a grey sweater which showed off his collarbone and even in the morning, when most people would look like zombies, he looked like a model – which he was, she noted.

Seung Hee found that she could not look him in the eye – he dazzled her. Why did he always have this effect on her? She could never get used to him – after a day of being with him, she thought that she was used to him, but then bam! he'd dazzle her again.

Do I look weird?” asked Yoongi, a small crease appearing between his eyebrows.

She blushed. “No….”

Then why won't you look at me?”

Aish, that idiot… this was so embarrassing!

It's just,” she said nervously. “You always… dazzle me…. I can't get used to you-”

Hey, you got years and years to do that.”

Y-years?”

Why? Are you planning on leaving or something?”

N-no...”

So you have the rest of your life to get used to me." He half-smiled, a little mischievously. “I know I'm very good-looking.”
“Whatever,” she huffed. “All I know is that you-”

Yoongi stopped her words by putting his arms around her.

"Shut up,” he murmured, but not in a mean way. “I'm too sleepy to argue with you over something so small.”

Yah-”
“I can't get used to you, either,” he said, and her heart skipped a beat. “I still can't believe that you're with me – and you know what? I don't know if I've ever told you this before, but you're really beautiful.”

She smiled and was about to say something when the toaster pinged. Yoongi let go of her to put the toast on a plate.

Feeling slightly awkward but incredibly happy she joined him at the table.

You're a ray of sunshine now, huh?” he commented. How could he keep such a neutral expression? Seung Hee was smiling so hard her face was going to split.

Listen,” said Yoongi. “We need to talk.”

Seung Hee went from soaring in the sky with joy to crashing back down with apprehension. It looked like bad news…

I've been thinking a lot about what happened last night,” he said. “And it hit me that I can't be the only one there for you – you need someone else to turn to. I'm not home all the time, sometimes I can't even answer the phone, and when I work I always worry about you – like whether you ate, whether you're ok.”
She wasn't sure where he was going with all that, but she was touched anyway.

I know that you miss her. I know that deep down you want to forgive her. Your mother…. she really wants to make up with you.”

No!” cried Seung Hee, and Yoongi grasped her by the shoulders.

I know you want to,” he said earnestly. “Listen, I know that what she did was something no mother should ever do – you have every right to be angry. But you know what? She regretted it. She regretted it so much that she came back. You know… I have may faults, and I've treated you badly. If you can forgive me, you can forgive her.”

You and her are different,” said Seung Hee fiercely. “She's my mother-”
“Everyone does something they'll regret. How about this? I have a schedule today, so I'll take you to her apartment and you listen to what she has to say. Maybe then you'll understand better.”

Seung Hee shook her head. “I don't want to understand. And… and you have no right to tell me to make up with her – you hate your father. How can you-”

Do you know exactly why I hate him?” asked Yoongi. “I hate him because he cheated on Eomma, because he abandoned a child he fathered from an affair.”

Seung Hee squeezed her eyes shut. She did not want to hear or think about it – little Yoongi, watching his father walk away.

But he wasn't finished yet. “How could I forgive when Eomma hadn't yet? When they were so distant with each other?”

But she went with him now,” said Seung Hee. “They're starting over.”

I know. That's why, maybe, when he gets home, things will be different between us. But right now, I'm worried about you. Seung Hee, do you trust me?”

She opened her eyes to meet his – they were full of warmth and sincerity. She didn't even need to think about the question before finding an answer. She nodded.

 

* * * *

 

“Have you thought about the offer?” asked Namjoon in the van, on the way to the recording studio.

Yoongi shrugged. “I never wanted to be an actor.”

But this is a huge drama!” exclaimed Taehyung. “Do you know how big the budget is? And it was written by the best screenwriter there is!”
“I know,” said Yoongi. “It's just that… never mind.”

It's just that Seung Hee won't be there,” said Jimin, eyes narrowed. “Hey, your career is more important. I mean, this is what you've worked so hard for, right?”

But it's for a year,” said Jungkook. “What is she supposed to do while hyung is in Japan for a year?”

That's why you should have just divorced or something!” huffed Jimin. “Don't get me wrong, I like her, but she's blocking Yoongi hyung's career!”

Jungkook glared at him.

What?” said Jimin defensively. “I'm just saying the truth! You all know how this industry works, right? I'm just saying that at some point he'll have to choose what exactly he wants. Because he can't have both – not in this work.”

I choose both,” said Yoongi. “I won't give up either of them.”

When you get revealed, don't drag me down with you.”

I won't get revealed.”

You will and when that happens, I'm going to say that I had no idea about this.”

Jimin...” said Namjoon, appalled at the tense atmosphere. “What are you doing?"

I'm going to protect my place,” replied Jimin. “I suggest that you all do the same.”

I will never get revealed,” said Yoongi.

We're being careful,” said Namjoon. “I'm sure this won't get revealed.”

Hoseok suddenly spoke up. “Unless that source speak again.”

What?'

Remember how there is already a rumor about his marriage?”

But who was it?” asked Seokjin, frowning. “I mean, it had to be an insider…. But I don't know anyone who would do that.”

Jimin looked around mistrustfully. “Don't you dare drag me into this!”

Are you suggesting that it's one of us?” demanded Taehyung

No one here would do that,” said Namjoon. “We're family – you know that.”

Yoongi looked at the tensed faces of his bandmates. No…. none of them would betray him like that. He knew they wouldn't….

Ow!” cried Jungkook, suddenly spilling some coffee onto his front:

Namjoon quickly began dabbing at the stain with a paper towel while Seokjin picked up the cup.

Are you nervous or something?” asked Hoseok. “Yah, Jeon Jungkook, your hands are trembling!”

Are you sick?” asked Yoongi. “Can you do the recording today?”

Jungkook nodded, his hair wet with sweat and his face deathly pale. “I'm fine,” he muttered, not looking at anyone. “I'm fine...”