Chapter Five

Nae Idol

 

Yoongi went straight to the practice room after getting his tux—and getting the shock of his life with the kid's transformation. The others were already there and as soon as he changed they began to practice. For three hours, they practiced the choreo for their upcoming concerts.

At last, Namjoon said it was enough, and after a quick shower they all piled into the van. They took turns drinking from the two bottles of water Manager Woo gave them as the van made it's way through Seoul to the dorm.

All of a sudden, Yoongi's phone pinged; he had one new message from his mother. When he opened it, he humphed and Hoseok leaned closer to look. His eyes bugged and he exclaimed, “Wow, who is that? She seems familiar...”

"Who?” muttered Jimin sleepily from the backseat.

Hoseok passed the phone to Jimin, who was suddenly wide awake.

"I know her!” he yelled into Taehyung's ear, who winced, and grabbed the phone. He scratched his head and frowned as if trying to remember something. His face suddenly lit up and he snapped his fingers. “Ah! It's your wife! She's really pretty!”

"Is this that kid?” asked Namjoon, looking at the picture. “She looks so… Cinderella-ish.”

"Cinderella-ish?” repeated Taehyung, and Namjoon explained, “She was just some normal kid and bam! She looks like a princess now."

Yoongi snorted while Jungkook quietly took the phone. He studied the image for a while before saying, “It's Lee Seung Hee.”

He noted the way she leaned away from Yoongi as if preparing to run away, the way she very lightly held his arm as if not wanting to touch him, and her expression…

"What happened, Kookie?” asked Seokjin. “You look so serious."

Jungkook gestured toward the phone. “What did you do to her, Yoongi hyung? She looks so sad, but she's smiling to hide it. I don't think she's all right.”

"Go write a book or something. This is not a drama,” said Yoongi darkly.

Jimin took the phone. "She's cute," he said. "But why are you all making such a fuss? She's not that pretty."

Yoongi suddenly snatched the phone away. "I know your type, Jimin, and let me tell you that those girls you like are plastic—from their faces to their personalities. This kid… she's innocent, she lives for herself; she's the complete opposite of your type.”

There was a brief silence in the van following this outburst, until Jimin said, “Sheesh, I never said that she was fat or ugly, did I? Anyway, since when have you liked innocence? Your type is the same as mine!”

"I never said I liked her.”

"Then why did you yell at me like that?”

"I didn't yell at you.”

Hoseok quickly interrupted what looked like waas going to end up in a fight. He was always the one who interrupted fights - the other members just watched unless it was a fistfight. It was up to Hoseok to prevent them from wanting to beat each other up.

 

"Yah, c'mon, Yoongi hyung," he said. "Admit it."

"Admit what?"

"Admit that you like her! I should've known it - you didn't really put up a fight against the wedding, and it's because you like her!"

"You idiot,” said Yoongi, and the other members laughed. “I'll get you...”

He grabbed Hoseok and the two wrestled until the latter  cried, “Ok, you don't like her!”

Yoongi released him, grinning, but frowned when he looked at the picture. The kid…. she was so pretty right there in that dress, but Jungkook was right - there was something wrong about her expression.

 

Namjoon watched Yoongi press the delete button, his thumb hovering over yes when the do you want to permanently delete this item? sign popped up. Finally, he sighed, pressed no and put the phone into his pocket. He crammed on his headphones and shut his eyes.

Seokjin nudged Namjoon. “Did you see that?”

Namjoon smiled. “I think things are about to get interesting...”

 

* * * *

 

When Seung Hee came down for breakfast the day before the wedding, Mrs Min noticed that she had been crying but said nothing. They drove to the beauty salon in Gangnam, where every bit of Seung Hee's body was scrubbed, waxed and moisturized. Even her hair was given a trim and a treatment. Everyone told her to sit back and relax, after all she wasn't pampered like this every day. Seung Hee kept quiet, her face blank, and did not even wince when hair was ripped out of her body. She felt as though all this was unreal, it could not really be happening to her, she was watching someone else get ready for a wedding.

They stopped at the hospital to visit Grandfather on the way back. Things became even more unreal there.

He was not awake. The nurses said his situation had become unstable. Seung Hee did not hear a word of it. She sat by her grandfather's bed, holding his hand.

This was all unreal, she knew it. Grandfather would wake up. He would be all better. He would cancel the wedding. Actually, it was enough if he just woke up...

* * * *

 

Namjoon found Yoongi in his apartment, snoring, on the wedding day.

"Yah,” he said, shaking him. “Get up.”
Yoongi rolled over.

"Yah, get up! It's today.”

Yoongi muttered something indecipherable.

"Your wedding, idiot! Get up!”

"Go away.”

Namjoon sighed. “Why didn't you stay at the dorm last night?”

Yoongi didn't reply.

"You should stop,” said Namjoon. “The others really think you're a player.”
“Don't tell them...”
“What?” demanded Namjoon. “That you always ditch the girl when you get out of the building? That you always come here instead?”

Yoongi didn't say anything.

"I don't understand,” said Namjoon. “Why are you still pretending to be a player?”

"I don't know...”
“Usually, people pretend to be something good – why are you pretending to be something bad?”

Yoongi finally snapped. “Just go away! And how did you get in?"

Namjoon snorted. "You didn't change your code! And by the way, what kind of code is 'suga09393?'"

"Better than yours - 'rmjoon12994!'"

Namjoon tore the covers off. “Get up! Now!”

Yoongi groaned and buried his head under his pillow.

Stupid Yoongi… Namjoon had been wise to come wake him up early. He was just about to drag Yoongi off the bed when a phone rang.

Yoongi pounced on it.

Namjoon smiled – he was up! Mission accomplished. His smile faded, however, when he heard Yoongi on the phone.

"Eomma,” he was saying. “That's not right. I don't care if it was his dying wish or whatever, but she should know!”

There was a pause. “When will you tell her?” he asked. “You should tell her now – she has the right to know. OK, but right after the ceremony, you have to tell her!”

He cut the connection and searched his contacts.

"What happened?” asked Namjoon.

"Looking for the airport's contact number...” muttered Yoongi.

Namjoon punched him lightly on the shoulder. “Man, you are lucky! I can't believe the company actually is actually letting you go to Jeju Island for three days!”

"They know perfectly well that I deserve a break,” muttered Yoongi.

"Seung Hee is going too, right?”

"Yeah. It's just some stupid trip we have to make – to 'get to know' each other, according to my mother.”

Yoongi found the number and called. “Hello? I would like to cancel two plane tickets to Jeju Island.”

Namjoon's mouth fell open.

"What are you doing?” he demanded when Yoongi got off the phone.

Yoongi's expression turned blank. “We won't need the tickets anymore,” he said.

"What do you mean?”

"It's her grandfather...”

* * * *

 

Mrs Min did not allow Seung Hee to visit Grandfather on the wedding day. “There's no time,” she said. “You have to get ready.”

That morning, Seung Hee had one email from each parent. 'Congrats on your wedding- Dad' and 'I'm sorry- Mom.'

She deleted both. Her mother was sorry? For what? For abandoning her like that? Did she really think that two words in an email could fix everything?

Come to think of it, the wedding was their fault - if they had stayed together and kept her, she wouldn't be in this situation at all. Grandfather must have told them about it, but still, why bother to even send an email? It was the first they had sent for six years...

At the church, before the ceremony, Mr Min pulled Yoongi aside. “Listen,” he said. “I know that you were forced to do this – however, certain things must be taken into consideration and obeyed. You cannot take the wedding vows lightly -"

Yoongi rolled his eyes. "Whatever."

"I am your father and I must tell you.”

"You are not my father," said Yoongi, his jaw set stubbornly. "You don't consider me as a son, either, so why even bother to pretend?"

Mr Min's face darkened.

"Are you angry?" Yoongi inquired. “Are going to start hitting me again like in the past? Go ahead, Eomma's not here - you're safe.”

His father raised a hand, then dropped it before glaring one last time and leaving. Yoongi smirked and turned to the mirror, brushing his long fingers through his blond hair and looking at his reflection with satisfaction – he looked perfect, as usual.

It's almost time for the guests to start arriving,” said his mother, coming in. “You should get ready to welcome them.”

"Guests?” repeated Yoongi. “I thought that no one would know about this!”

"Relax, Yoongi. The guests are close friends, your band and your manager.”

"You invited Manager Woo? Eomma-”

"Yoongi, just go.”

Yoongi decided that he might as well get going, but as he passed his mother he said, “You seem a bit down.”

She sighed. “It's just - oh, nothing.”

"Tell me,” he insisted.

"It's Lee Seung Hee… I just feel so bad for her.”

"Don't you feel bad for me?” he asked. “You know that I'm only doing this because you asked—I don't care if Father was a close friend of that grandfather or not.”

She hugged him. “I know… I'm sorry.”

He detached himself hurriedly. “Eomma! You'll wrinkle my tux!”

Mrs Min gave a weak smile - only Yoongi could worry about clothes in this kind of situation. He seemed as though he didn't care at all, though... Had he forgotten?

Anyway, the time to bring it up was after the ceremony. That way, it was better for everybody - especially for Seung Hee.

* * * *

 

Before the ceremony, Jungkook came to see Seung Hee. He was dressed in a formal suit and for some reason seemed subdued.

"I won't congratulate you,” he said. “Because I wouldn't mean it.”
“What do you mean?” asked Seung Hee.

"I cannot sincerely congratulate you on getting married.” He suddenly smiled, and it was as though the whole room lit up. “Don't look so worried. It just means that I won't be your boyfriend. Or… shall we date secretly?”

Seung Hee suddenly felt very uncomfortable and he laughed. “I'm kidding! But still, we could. Yoongi hyung wouldn't care.”

Before Seung Hee could decide whether he was still joking around, Mr Min came to take her to the ceremony.

  Jungkook winked. “See you later! Did I tell you that you look pretty?"

His words set butterflies fluttering in her stomach - not the vicious ones she had all day, but warm hopeful ones. However, they lasted barely a second before Seung Hee felt like throwing up.

Mr Min led her down the aisle as she had no male family member to do so. She did not look up at anyone or else she might cry, and concentrated on taking one step at a time.

After what seemed like forever, Yoongi took her hand lightly, barely touching her. Seung Hee looked up for the first time and noticed that Namjoon was best man. Ha Na was there, too - she hadn't even seen Ha Na before the ceremony. And Yoongi… how could such a mean person look so good all the time? She suddenly felt grubby in spite of her time at the salon…

  Namjoon announced that as there was no priest, they would be saying their vows themselves. Yoongi said them first: “I, Min Yoongi, promise to love Lee Seung Hee in times of happiness and in times of hardship, until death do us part, and respect my elders and be a dutiful husband.”

He nudged Seung Hee slightly with his elbow, and she began, trying not to let her voice tremble. “I, Lee Seung Hee, promise to love...” Her voice trailed off and Yoongi had to nudge her again, this time harder, for her to continue. “… promise to love Min Yoongi in times of happiness and in times of hardship until death do us part, and respect my elders and be a dutiful wife.”

The rings were brought out; Yoongi slipped it on her finger, whispering, “Ugh, your hand is so cold and sweaty.”

She made a face at him and in turn she put a ring on his finger. His hands were big and warm, the kind you would feel safe in except for the fact that they belonged to Min Yoongi. Her own hands were trembling so much she nearly dropped the ring and he smirked and whispered, “Stupid kid.”

She looked up at him to glare, but didn't as she discovered that he was in fact looking at her with a weird expression - he was looking at her with something close to pity. He offered her his hand, and she took it, wondering what happened to him. She felt his hand close around hers tightly, and as they walked down the aisle together he squeezed gently. Was he trying to be reassuring? Something was wrong with him; he was grinning and high-fiving the BTS members...

The reception had an intimate, informal atmosphere as there were so few guests, and most of them knew each other. The awkwardness of the newly-weds was apparent only to someone who really knew them well, as Yoongi managed to cover it up. He kept his hand firmly around Seung Hee's, spoke charmingly to the guests and pretended to pay attention to her.

  Seung Hee was grateful that Yoongi did all of the talking, but as time wore on she began to resent him. She hated the way he held her hand so tightly and used it to steer her towards guests. What was even worse was the way he pretended to know her. Once he offered her food she disliked and said, “I know you love these.” He even kept telling her to be careful, to watch out. She wasn't some clumsy kid! She wouldn't trip all over the place if he didn't warn her to look out!

He even introduced her to Manager Woo, a middle-aged man with unfeeling eyes and a cold smile. She could almost sense his calculating mind trying to figure out how to wring every bit of profit out from his idols.

He smiled when he shook her hand, but it did not reach his eyes. “Ah,” he said. "Yoongi's er, wife. I trust that you will not make trouble for us, and I hope you do not have a blog or reporter friends.”

  Seung Hee turned red. “I wouldn't-”

"I believe that this was arranged, it is no Cinderella story.”

"I'm aware of all that," she said, more bravely than she felt. "Please keep in mind that I am even more reluctant about this arrangement than Min Yoongi.”

"I am pleased that you have not deluded yourself into foolish beliefs. If you had... well, you would be disappointed.” He inclined his head. “My best wishes to you."

"How could you?” she demanded, after Woo had started chatting with someone else.

"Hmm?” Yoongi appeared to be unshaken by the exchange.

"How could you just stand there and do nothing?”

A shadow crossed his face. “I told you, we have nothing to do with each other in private.”

"Your manager-”

"Manager Woo is aware of that fact - so are the members. There is no need to pretend in front of them.”

"That's no reason to be nasty!” she fumed.

"You,” he ordered. “Hold my arm; I'm tired of dragging you around by your sweaty hand.”

Stung, Seung Hee took his offered hand and after he whispered, “Don't let go,” he steered her toward the cake.

They cut the wedding cake and Seung Hee found the perfect way to humiliate Yoongi: she scooped some icing onto her finger and dabbed it on his nose.

"Yah!” he yelled, outraged. “Stop it!”

His reaction encouraged her to dab more onto his cheeks, his chin. The guests were all watching and chuckling so there was nothing he could do. Even better, Mrs Min snapped a picture of them; Yoongi's face full of icing and Seung Hee grinning. He cringed with embarrassment, got a napkin and wiped his face, glaring at her.


 

"You. Come here.” He tried to grab her but she wriggled away. Seung Hee didn't know whether it was an accident or not, but he stepped on her skirt the same time he grabbed her arm, sending them both on the floor - well, Yoongi on the floor; she landed on him. For one second they looked at each other, horrified, then burst into laughter at the same time. Yoongi still had some icing on his finger, and he dabbed it onto her nose.

"Gotcha,” he said, and Seung Hee laughed all over again. For the first time that day, she was happy.