Chapter Twenty-one

Nae Idol

Jungkook gave Seung Hee a tour of the dorm, and showed her his room.

"I share with Taehyung,” he said. “Except sometimes I go crash with Namjoon and Yoongi hyungs.”

The room was quite small, with just enough space for twin beds, two desks, and two cupboards. Posters of SNSD, Blackpink, BIG BANG, G-Dragon, and American rock stars plastered the walls.

"We're pretty big fanboys,” said Jungkook sheepishly.

  Taehyung yelled that dinner was ready, and just when he removed the lid of the pan, the door slammed shut and someone came storming in. Seung Hee could recognize him just like that, and cried, "Yoongi!"

Sure enough, it was Yoongi– glowering and exhausted.

"Ok,” he barked, glaring at everyone. “Who's the idiot?”

Seung Hee shrank back, her gladness fading.

"Who brought her here?”

Jimin and Taehyung pointed at Jungkook. “He did! Not me!”

"Did you see all those fans outside?" Yoongi demanded. “You think they wouldn't notice a girl coming out of our dorm? Are you trying to expose this?”

Namjoon came between them. “All right, break it up,” he ordered. “Yoongi, those fans arrived after Seung Hee came here. Jungkook didn't know, ok? And don't worry, you won't get exposed.”

Namjoon's words seemed to calm Yoongi down, and he continued, “We'll have dinner now, and if the fans are still there, Seung Hee will be our guest for the night, too. It's not such a big problem, is it? And Seung Hee kept asking about you.”

Seung Hee blushed as Yoongi's eyes turned to her.

"Really?” he asked.

Taehyung snickered. “It was the first thing she said when she got her.” He made his voice go all high-pitched, imitating Seung Hee. “'Where's Yoongi oppa?'”

Jimin poked him in the ribs and Seung Hee protested, "I did not call him oppa!"

They sat down for dinner; Jungkook next to Seung Hee and Yoongi pushed Taehyung, who was about to sit on Seung Hee's other side, to sit there instead. Namjoon sat on the other side, in between the other two.

"Try this,” said Taehyung.

He picked up a dumpling with his chopsticks, and was about to put it on her plate but Yoongi blocked him with his chopsticks.

"What?” asked Taehyung. “I'm just-”

"She can feed herself,” snapped Yoongi.

Taehyung made a face and Jungkook quickly put a dumpling on her plate.

"Thank you,” she said, and was about to pick it up but Yoongi snatched it up and ate it.

"Yah!” she cried. “That was mine!”

Yoongi tried to say something, but coughed and turned red, choking. Seung Hee banged him on the back and a glass of water into his hand, which he gulped down.

"Serves you right,” said Seung Hee.

"My back,” he gasped. “It hurts!”

"Wimp,” commented Namjoon, and Taehyung said, “Seung Hee, hit him some more – he stole your food!”

"Shall I?” She grinned and raised her hand.

"Alright, fine!” yelled Yoongi, and deposited a dumpling on her plate. “There! Now leave me alone!”

The rest of the meal passed by quickly, with bantering and teasing. They played rock-paper-scissors to decide who would clean up – and Namjoon lost. Seung Hee offered to help him, but Yoongi pulled her out of her chair and commanded, “Shut up, you! Go watch your drama!”

Her eyes sparkled and she squealed, “Cool! I thought I would miss tonight's episode!”

"Drama?” said Jungkook. “I'll watch with you!”

"Ok! This one is really good. See, it's about-”

The two went into the living room, Seung Hee chattering excitedly to Jungkook.

"Yah!” shouted Yoongi before following them.

Seung Hee found the channel and pulled Jungkook onto the couch beside her. Yoongi's eyes narrowed and he nudged Jungkook. “You go sit somewhere else.”

"Don't be mean,” said Seung Hee. “There's lots of space.”

Not beside her, though – she was against the armrest. Jungkook shot him a small smirk, and he sat on the armrest.

"Yah!” she cried. “Go sit somewhere else!”

Yoongi shook his head. “I like this place.”

Seung Hee felt crammed, sandwiched between two people. It was all right when she had been leaning against the armrest, but Yoongi was there now and had no intention of moving. Jungkook noticed her plight and moved over a bit. She smiled gratefully as she moved away from Yoongi, but then he slid into the small space in between her and the armrest. There really wasn't enough room for him there, and he was half on her lap.

"What is wrong with you?” she exclaimed, trying to push him off. Jungkook made more room, and Yoongi reached over and hit his head.

"Ouch!” cried Jungkook.
“Min Yoongi!” said Seung Hee, successfully pushing him off her. “Seriously, what's gotten into you?”

Yoongi sulked for the first half of the episode, and for the other half he made comments like, “Oh, please, is that guy even a man?” or, “How cheesy! How can you watch this garbage?”

Seung Hee slapped his hand every time he made a comment, but the more she slapped, the more he said.

Jungkook got super excited during one of the commercial breaks.

"That's me!” he yelled, pointing at the screen, where an adorable guy – Jungkook – was eating ice-cream and acting cute. Yoongi huffed and said something about it being babyish, but the two ignored him.

"You're so cute!” Seung Hee kept squealing. Jungkook made one of the cute faces from the ad and she squealed all over again.

When the drama ended at 10:15, Seung Hee told Yoongi, “I'm never watching anything with you again.”

"Urgh, are those guys in there for real? I mean-”

"Drop it, please,” said Jungkook wearily. “Girls love dramas – and they'll kill you if you say anything against it.”

Yoongi glared at him and stood up. “Bedtime, kid.”

"Um,” said Seung Hee timidly. “Just where… am I going to sleep?”

That question stumped Yoongi for a moment, but Jungkook immediately exclaimed, “You can use my room!”

"You kidding me?” growled Yoongi.

"I'll sleep on the couch,” added Jungkook. “Or with one of the hyungs.”

"I'll sleep on the couch,” said Seung Hee. “I like it – and I sleep on couches a lot.”

A pang of guilt hit Yoongi. But…. what had he done to feel guilty? His couch was big and comfortable! Here, at the dorm, the couch was smaller and he just didn't want that kid to sleep there. Neither did he want to leave her alone – Jungkook was hanging around.

He argued with her, and he won in the end – of course. Seung Hee had no other option than occupying one of the member's rooms – it was easier since two were not around.

The next thing Yoongi pointed out was clothes. Seung Hee was in jeans with a sweater over a shirt – and he insisted that those clothes were too nice to sleep in.

"I'll lend you something,” said Jungkook.

Yoongi shot him a death-glare and grabbed Seung Hee and pulled her to his and Namjoon's room down the hall. He didn't answer their questions of what he was doing, and made Namjoon jump off his bed in shock when he barged in.

Yoongi pulled her to one of the cupboards and took out a red hoodie and black sweatpants.

"Mine will fit better," said Jungkook.

 "He's right, you know,” observed Namjoon. "He's a lot closer to size than you-"

"Shut up,” said Yoongi. “And he's sleeping in here tonight.”

Jungkook explained the sleeping arrangements while Yoongi pulled her out of the room and pushed her into the bathroom. “Change quickly, kid.”

The bathroom was surprisingly spacious – there was even a bathtub and a shower stall. Seven toothbrushes stood together in a glass on the sink, each one a different colour to know whose was whose.

Seung Hee quickly got out of her clothes and pulled on the hoodie. It was really soft, and smelled like sweet, clean laundry and the scent of Yoongi that she was beginning to like. But it was much too large – her fingers weren't even visible.

Yoongi was waiting outside, leaning on the wall with his hands in his pockets. He half-smiled when she came out, and said, “It suits you, kiddo.”

Kiddo? Now she was kiddo?

"It's too big...” she mumbled, embarrassed for some reason - she could not believe that Min Yoongi was actually lending her clothes.

"You dumb kid," he said, but not in a mean way. He reached forward and began to roll the sleeves up. "There." He looked at her face carefully. "Yah, what is it? You look weird..."
"Nothing," she mumbled.

He grabbed her arm and pulled her into Jungkook and Taehyung's room - the plastered-wall room.

"Sleep here,” he said, and turned to leave.

That was it? It seemed so cold...

"Yoongi?” she called.

"Yeah?”

"Where will you be?”

He almost half-smiled. “In Jimin's room. Why? Want me to sleep here?”

She shook her head. “No! I just wanted to know!”

"Go to sleep now, ok?”

He left, closing the door behind him.

*   *    *   *

 

 

It was midnight. Usually, Seung Hee would be snoring at that time, but tonight she was wide awake. The American rock stars glared at her eerily from their posters – it was too dark to see anything besides those posters. And it was cold. But worst of all, there was a thunderstorm.

 

She knew her fear was irrational, but each clap of thunder, each beam of lightning, made her jump in fright and even yelp. She was sitting up in bed, clutching the covers and cowering, waiting for the storm to pass.

She almost screamed when the door opened and Yoongi came in.

"Not sleeping?”

 “Not tired,” she lied.

"Sure.You're not scared of thunder, are you?”

The last thing she needed was him to know that she was a scaredy-cat. She was scared to death of thunder, but he really didn't need to know that. So she grit her teeth and said, firmly, “I'm not.”

As if to prove her wrong, the biggest thunder-clap yet exploded, rattling the windows and making her shriek.

Yoongi laughed, but it wasn't the mean kind. “Liar! You are scared! Yah, don't be scared – it can't hurt you.”

Another clap of thunder sounded. Seung Hee couldn't help it, she covered her ears with her hands and a whimper escaped from her.

"Yah,” said Yoongi softly. “It's all right...”

Lightning illuminated the room, and she flinched.

"This won't do,” he said. “Move over.”

"H-huh?”

"Move over, I'm coming.”

 

The bed was quite small, and even though she moved, when Yoongi came next to her, their shoulders touched. They said nothing for a while – Seung Hee had to concentrate on breathing, because what with the thunder and Yoongi's sudden proximity, it was all overwhelming.

Finally, he said in a low voice, “My older sister… she was scared of thunder, too.”

Seung Hee stopped breathing, afraid of missing something he said. This was the first time he even mentioned Eunji… and she wanted to hear more.

"Her name was Eunji,” he said. “When it stormed, I would sit next to her in the bed, just like now, and stay with her until it passed.”

He didn't say more, and Seung Hee was far from satisfied.

"What was she like?” she asked gently.

"She was amazing,” said Yoongi. “She could always see good in any situation, and she was so happy when Eomma brought me home – the rest of the family, even my father, hated me. She could have easily hated me, too, but no. I was her little brother since the beginning. You know the first thing she said to me? She said, 'You're my little brother, right? I'll be a good sister to you.'”

Seung Hee smiled. “You are really lucky to have had such a nice sister.”

"I know. Except I didn't fully realize until…. Until she was gone.” His voice became heavy with emotion, and she touched his arm.

"I think everyone who lost someone feels like that,” she said. “Me, too, I wasn't good to my grandfather all the time – and I was so mad at him at the end, for making me get married.”

"I'm grateful to him,” said Yoongi.

"Why? Did you know him?”

"He left you with me.”

Seung Hee's heart skipped a beat. Never, ever, had she and Yoongi had such an honest conversation…

"Don't you hate me?” she asked softly.

He actually ruffled her hair. “Who can hate you?”

Seung Hee could think of several people. “Um, Manager Woo.”

"He's insane, don't count him in.”

She  giggled even though there wasn't anything that funny. Her insides were jumping and singing, He doesn't hate me! He really doesn't hate me!

A sudden clap of thunder made her flinch, and Yoongi pulled her against his chest.

"I'm here,” he whispered. “I'm here, ok? Remember that I will always be here.”

Seung Hee calmed down, and so did the storm – the latter rather slowly, but she wasn't afraid anymore, Yoongi was there. She even fell asleep in his arms, and he tucked her in. Instead of returning to the couch, he got into the other bed, telling himself that she could wake up and since she really was a kid, she would be scared without him.

But deep down, he knew that wasn't it. He just wanted to be near her - in any way possible...

 

* * * *

 

Jungkook woke up early. The first thing he did was check on Seung Hee, but stood stunned when he saw the scene in his room. Seung Hee was snuggled up in the blankets, sleeping soundly – that was fine, except that Yoongi was sleeping in the other bed.

This would be the second time Jungkook found them sleeping together - it just showed that they had become close. And it hurt – disappointment stabbed him in the gut like a knife. If she was scared of the thunder or something, why hadn't she called him? Or why hadn't he gone to check on her last night? Why was it Yoongi who was there, in his spot? Jungkook was the one she was supposed to turn to – not Yoongi.

It wasn't fair – he had seen her first, he had liked her first. He was the one who had always been there by her side.

Jungkook wanted to pull Yoongi up, and just smash his fist in his face – but he didn't. He couldn't hurt Yoongi, and he didn't want Seung Hee to see that side of him. But it all hurt... 

It hurt so much he couldn't stand it. Blinking back tears, he got into his car and began to drive. He didn't know where he was going, and he didn't care – all he cared about was going as far away from them as possible.