The Press Release

We're All Mad Here

It didn't take Giri more than a couple days to get in touch with his friend at SBS and even less for his friend to set up the interview. Chess was still wary of the entire idea but she was slowly grasping onto a stronger resolve to just be honest and get it over with. She had always liked her privacy and now she was going to sacrifice all of that for the chance that a guy was going to see it and change his mind. When had she become a pathetic high schooler again? Chess shook her head to rid herself of those thoughts. She wasn't pathetic. This was probably the strongest and bravest thing she would ever do. She was going to risk everything she was and everything she had worked for, yes, but she might end up getting something much more valuable in return. That still sounded like what every high schooler would say but given the fact that she hadn't even come close to feeling like this about anyone other than her fiance, she could say that this was worth it. At least she hoped it was.

Giri's friend had made sure to let Chess pick where she would be most comfortable to have the interview and she had chosen the studio. It had felt too intrusive to have it in the dorms. So at ten o'clock in the morning Chess headed out of the dorms and to Starship. She had decided to be fully comfortable and not try to dress up or even really look her best. This was going to be hard and it was going to make her cry so there was no use in putting on make up that would just make her look even worse after words. When she finally made her way into the lobby there stood a man all on his own with a couple camera bags and some audio equipment. She made her way over to him and he smiled.

"Annyeonghasaeyo, Cheshire. It's nice to meet you. Kang Jin Hyuk-ibnida," He reached out to shake her hand after they exchanged bows. "Kamsamnida for letting me interview you."

"Honestly, I'm not really going to let you interview me. I'm just going to tell you everything. I might not really be up to answering questions after. Mianhe," Chess sent him a weak smile and Jin Hyuk easily returned it.

"No worries I don't think I'll have too many questions anyways. I just want to help you as much as possible. Giriboy seems to think there are a few that I'm going to have to ask though so will that be okay?" Chess simply nodded and motioned for him to follow her. They went up to RI5E's studio where Giri was waiting outside in the hall.

"Annyeong, thought you might need some moral support," Giri gave her a tight hug and she nodded at him as she unlocked the studio and held the door open for both of the guys. As soon as they were inside Jin Hyuk got his equipment set up and asked Chess to sit down and get comfortable. After everything was set up and Giri was sitting down behind the equipment, the interview started.

"Annyeonghasaeyo, Kang Jin Hyuk ibnida. I'm here with Cheshire from RI5E who has agreed to allow SBS to be the first to hear her full story. Kamsamnida for joining us in supporting her to the fullest. Kamsamnida Cheshire for doing this. I'm ready to listen whenever you're ready to start," Chess had to admit she was a bit surprised that as professional as he was that Jin Hyuk had become friends with Giri, though she was happy for his professionalism.

"Annyeonghasaeyo, you all probably know me as Cheshire from RI5E but Beck Scarlett ibnida. This is the first time in three years that I have introduced myself that way and surprisingly it's sort of a relief. For almost the entire time that I've been in Korea I've hidden away everything in my past and I have finally come to the point where hiding it is just more of a hassle than it's really worth. 

"I've always had a hard time with really trusting anyone but for the first time I'm going to fully trust all of my fans and all of Korea. I just recently started trusting my best friends with all of this and I hope that my trust in the citizens of Korea will be well placed. What I've been through in my life... It's... It's pretty tragic to be honest and I have a hard time understanding it myself but I ask for your understanding and support.

"I grew up in a city called Raleigh in North Carolina on the east coast of the United States. I grew up in a fairly normal household with my eommunnie, appaji, and oppa. I had a very typical American life through my childhood and teenage years. When I turned nineteen I went to a University in North Carolina and I met a man that I can still say had been the love of my life. I had fallen head over heels for him and he was everything to me. We were engaged to be married after four months of being together and the only bit of this story that I am ashamed of is that I dropped out of school to be able to stay with him. He had received a job offer in Massachusetts which is just over 1100 kilometers away from where I was in school. I hadn't wanted to leave his side and had decided I would simply continue my school after we got married.

"In the time between us moving states, we stayed with my parents who were more than happy to help us out. We were threre for about six months and were planning to move after my birthday on January 1st. We did this so that we could easily spend Christmas with them since it would be hard to after the move. My parents house ended up completely filled because my Oppa and his wife had come to stay with us too. We had always been a close family but even close families can get on each others nerves but for the first time that I could remember Christmas was a smooth day and we hadn't had any problems. It was nice," Chess felt the tears forming in her eyes and tried to force them back taking a few deep breaths to calm herself down. "On December 28th I was trying to go to sleep because it wasn't too long before my fiance and I were supposed to start packing and sending movers with our things up to our new place. I was completely restless that night and I've always thought that it was just because the house was so full and had been so noisy for so long but now I'm not even sure anymore. Maybe it was a premonition.

"I decided that a quick walk around our neighborhood might make it easier for me to sleep. It wasn't a very large neighborhood. Only about seventeen houses on the more country side of the area. We had never really seen too much crime or even had a burglary in the area so I hadn't had any second thoughts about the walk even though it was very late at night. As I had made my way about halfway down the neighborhood though I had a nagging feeling. I wasn't quite sure what was wrong but I knew something wasn't quite right. I ran back home as fast as I could. When I finally got back to the house I found the front door kicked in and... umm... I'm not... I'm not so sure I can say this for tv's sake..." Chess's tears were falling freely now and Giri handed her a full box of tissues from behind the cameras. Jin Hyuk simply nodded and motioned for her to continue. She figured he meant he'd edit it out if it was too graphic. "I ran in after I heard gunshots. I saw... I saw my daddy he... he had been shot... I ran over and tried to help him... I ju... I just didn't know how... He... He looked at me and said how he was happy he had been able to protect me his babydoll. He died in my arms. He had been shot in a standoff with the man that had broken into the house... The man hadn't started with my appa though... He... He had killed ... He... They... He killed all... all of them... I lost my entire family and happiness in one unfortunate night. I lost everything I was. I saw... I saw them... I saw them all... It is... a horrific image embedded in my memory that I will never escape. Even that wasn't the worst though. The police had investigated me because they had thought that I... That the orphan and widow before even experiencing the happiness of marriage... That I had hired the man to kill my family. It all was for nothing though because I had nothing to do with it and they finally proved that I didn't months after everything that had happened.

"Shortly after my name was cleared and everything was restored, I sold everything. I sold the house, all the cars, all of the heirlooms, everything. I have my parents and my Oppa and sister-in-laws wedding rings and I have my engagement ring but nothing else. I don't even have any of the same clothes anymore. I sold everything and moved to Korea. I left everything I was and everything that I could have been back in Raleigh. I hadn't planned on trying to be an idol. I just went to the audition to pass time... I... I hadn't planned on being alive... Not for... Not for this long... Being accepted to Starship... It literally saved my life... I don't think anyone knows that bit yet... I had come to Korea as part of my bucket list and because if I had died here it wouldn't burden anyone back home anymore... I owe the entirety of what's left of my life to Si Dae Sajangnim. I have met beautiful and wonderful people because he saw something in me... I... I learned to love people again... I learned that I would always have a family somewhere... I found that I wasn't alone..." Chess wiped her eyes and took a few more deep breaths.

"Cheshire," Chess cut him off.

"Please... Call me Scarlett... I haven't been able to claim that name for years and I want to accept it again now..." Jin Hyuk gave a soft smile and continued.

"Scarlett, kamsamnida for sharing this with us. Jeseongnida that you even had to experience something so horrific but I think I can say that we're all so happy that you're still with us and that we're so thankful to Si Dae Sajangnim for seeing your talent. The only question I think that I really have for you is this. What made you decide to finally open up about this?" Giri gave a supportive look past the cameras to Chess who simply nodded and began her answer.

"I found someone who makes my heart soar and because of all the lies and secrecy in my life I had to cut it all off. I couldn't let it grow past a simple crush. I think that I may have already not only destroyed my one chance at that happiness but I also think... Ani... I know I hurt him. I never intended to and it was not something that I wanted. I'm just hoping that if I do this that at least he'll be able to see that I do still care and that I'm willing to change the things in my life that aren't honest or that are just hurtful in general. I want to become better. Even if that means being better on my own and not recovering what this secret has made me lose," Chess gave a sad smile to the camera and Jin Hyuk.

"Scarlett, kamsamnida. I don't think you have anything to worry about. I think we will all be supporting you in your quest to be better," With that Jin Hyuk cut the cameras and let her know that he was going to edit it and prepare his piece for it and that if all goes well it should be aired within the week. After the door closed and Chess and Giri were left alone, all the strength left her and she fell to her knees. Giri swiftly had his arms around her in support as she cried.

"You did amazing. I don't think there's anyway that anyone could ignore your sincerity. Everything will be fine," Chess simply buried her face into his shoulder more and nodded. She really hoped that this was the right path for her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N Sooo..... I know that this is a lot of recap of what was said in Chapter 22 but still I felt it needed to be emphasized again because while it's been an issue we haven't talked too much about it and now I'm hoping this is going to open a whole new can of worms lol... As always Thank You for Reading! Kamsamnida!