This Is For Now

Was I Dreaming?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I still miss you.” Byul heard the other line said.

She was currently on the phone with her girlfriend for near half an hour before bed. It was a deal her girlfriend came up with that they will have one phone call before ending their day, no matter what. Byul would be lying if she says she didn’t like it when Yongsun becomes so needy of her.

After the incident where Yongsun parents knew about them around a week ago, the two can hardly interact with one another in public without being scared of other people finding out about them. No one knows and the incident happened because they were both being careless, yet the paranoia was a little hard to ignore. Especially on Byul’s side.

“I miss you too but it’s getting late. We both have school. I’ll call you in the morning, okay?”

Each night Byul calls her, Yongsun always tell her that it isn’t enough—that she still misses her. It’s too cute that Byul end up promising her numerous of things so they can end the call. “Fine, but give me a kiss first.”

Yeah, Yongsun’s requests are sometimes a little weird.

“Babe, how am I supposed to do that? I can’t even go near your house in a radius of one kilometers—“

“I don’t care. I just want a goodnight kiss.” The tone was demanding and she can picture the pout she’s making.

With a mental sigh, she tells her, “Okay, close your eyes now.” After a few seconds, she heard Yongsun hums. Then she makes a long kissing sound over the phone. “Sleep well and dream of me, baby.”

Yongsun hums again, satisfied with the ‘kiss’ though it’s not an actual kiss. “I will… I love you, Byul-ah…”

Byul smiles at the soft tone and reply her with the same tone and affection. “Baby, don’t sleep with the phone.” She reminded her when she remembered how two days ago Yongsun whined about her ear felt like burning when she wakes up. Turned out she was keeping the phone on her ear and fell asleep like that.

Yet again, Yongsun let out a weaker whine. “I want to sleep like this.” Yongsun’s tone was getting huskier as she knows the girl was getting sleepier by the minute but she doesn’t want Yongsun to hurt her ear again in the morning.

“Put it on speaker and place it on your bedside table.”

“Promise you won’t hang up until I fall asleep?”

“I promise. C’mon, so we both can quickly sleep now.” Byul heard rustling noises, she imagines Yongsun getting up sleepily from under her comfortable blanket and put her phone on the bedside table. Yongsun mutters a soft ‘done’ and Byul told her to sleep.

This was something a long distance relationship would be. Pretending their other half is next to them and just hearing them breathe as they sleep feels like it was enough for both of them to have enough energy for work the next day. It’s actually a little ridiculous, Byul thought, but she’s enjoying this just as much as Yongsun does.

They were trying to limit their interaction at school, as much as possible, Byul doesn’t want to bump into her anywhere near the school ground. She has been trying to not let the president meet her eyes, even just a little. Yongsun protested after three days, told her how it frustrated her so much and that it makes her missing Byul more than it’s healthy for her. After confronting Byul about her frustration, the latter promised her that she will try and steal her at certain hours at school and she will not try to avoid having eye-contact.

It was basically back to how they are unless right now they’re trying to not be seen together in front of other people.

Wheein and Hyejin will ask Byul from time to time about certain things with the president. Byul already told them about the whole thing and they’re more than concerned about it.

Of course, Hyejin flat out said they should stop. They should break up because Hyejin doesn’t even want to imagine if the parents find out again in the future and that is a hundred percent possible thing to happen. Byul will get hurt again and Hyejin doesn’t want that. Wheein, however for once, not completely agree with Hyejin’s idea. Maybe it was pity she’s feeling knowing how hard to be in her unnies place at the moment.

“Wheein-ah, you should make up your mind. You and me know that if she keeps holding onto this relationship, she will get hurt again. Yongsun-unnie did it once, she can do it again if she wants to.”

Wheein lets out an exasperated sigh. It is a good thing that her best friend is worrying about their favorite unnie to this extent but she doesn’t like the way she talks about Yongsun. Just because she’s not her favorite, doesn’t mean Wheein like her less and Yongsun has always been a good unnie for them too. It’s just when it comes to her relationship with Byul, Hyejin always have a word to go against it and she always been too paranoid with the fact Yongsun can hurt Byul.

It worries her too but she knew there’s gotta be some kind of logic explanation for what Yongsun is doing. For all she knows, the oldest of them all wasn’t doing all that better when Byul skipped school for three days. Hyejin planned to give Yongsun the cold shoulder but soften when she witnessed how Yongsun seemed to be out of it most of the time.

“It’s not entirely her fault and I made up my mind, Hyejin-ah.” She sighs again, deeply this time. “It just doesn’t feel right if we only put the blame on Yongsun-unnie. You’ve seen it yourself. You even heard it from Byul-unnie how Yongsun-unnie doesn’t want them to break up.” Wheein sees how Hyejin clenched her fists so tight that her knuckles turned white.

“Then Byul-unnie should’ve stand her ground.”

“Can you even blame her, Hyejin…?” And she knew it hits her best friend. It hits her hard. “Yongsun-unnie was as deeply in love with Byul-unnie—”

“Then why would she deny their relationship?!”

“Unnie had no choice!” The sudden outburst made Hyejin flinched. Wheein never raise her voice at her nor she ever did to Wheein. When the two of them fight, they would instead have a silent contest or a subtle bickering here and there but never they shout at each other's faces. Yet look at them now.

Wheein soon realized what she has done and quickly hug her best friend tightly in her embrace, burying her face into Hyejin's thick black hair. “I’m sorry… I didn’t mean to yell, it's just—”

“It's okay, I know. I'm sorry too.” She starting to return Wheein's hug, rubbing her back soothingly and little by little, they both relax but still in each other's arms. “Sorry that I acted like a stubborn . I really don’t want Byulyi-unnie to get hurt…but seeing them together…” Hyejin tightens her hold around Wheein's smaller figure. “…as crazy as it is, I'd probably do the same stupid thing if it were you and I.”

Wheein was swooning hearing it from Hyejin but then again, she and Hyejin were such an inseparable pair. If you want to destroy their bond, you might need to be able to move the mountains first before trying that.

“We’d be stupid together, you know it.” She giggles and Hyejin joins in the small laughter. “Listen, whatever happen to them in the future, just promise we'll be there for them. They're hiding and they have no one else to talk to about their relationship but us two. The least we can do is support them, okay?”

There was a pause before Hyejin lets out a defeated long sigh. It's a little hard when it's Jung Wheein talking her out of it and she always has a point, important point. “You know, they should be grateful as hell for having you as their friend.”

Wheein chuckles once they pulled back from the hug. “Yah, Ahn Hyejin, don't let it get to you. I can be the devil if I want to.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter