Thinly Veiled Shock

My Little Heartbreaker.

 

“Move.” I squirmed on my bed and giggled.

 

Hyoseon made a face, poked me in the cheek with her spoon and dug it back into the jar of chocolatey goodness.

 

The hours Hyoseon spent on the flight to Korea were the ‘longest hours of her life’ apparently, but for me, they passed in a whiz.

 

Kibum had kindly given me a ride to the airport, and although I initially refused, he pointed out that I didn’t exactly have any money on me to hire a cab and so therefore, he would drive me.

 

When Hyoseon had stepped off the plane, we didn’t hug each other to bits and scream like crazy, in fact, we were the total opposite; months spent apart had distinguished our personalities even further and made us different - in a good way.

 

But my sister had obviously matured a billion times faster than I had. 

 

It didn’t matter that she was almost three years older than me. The way she dressed made her look like a woman, while I was still stuck in the crazy, fan girl, immature little doll age.

 

She had her hair tied into a tight ponytail and her eclectic selection of clothes made her stand out from the hoard of business men and women trying to push their way past me.

 

Of course, all those thoughts were washed away the moment we recognised each other, and to my utter embarrassment I sobbed loudly and almost a little hysterically when she reached me.

 

“Hey.” I whipped my head around to see her staring at me.

 

“What?” 

 

“Nothing.”

 

How I missed these pointless conversations.

 

My bed covers were draped over the two of us, and we snuggled together close enough to feel each others warmth but far enough to keep the jar of Nutella propped up and stable.

 

Hyoseon took another scoop with her spoon and it.

 

“You know, I never thought that you’d get married before me.”

 

The spoon almost dropped out of my hands. “Shut up.” I muttered almost bitterly. “You’ve had your fair share of hunks get thrown your way.”

 

She snorted and bonked me on the forehead as lightly as she could. “You’re one to talk. And besides,” she sniffed disdainfully, “the boys were all . God the male race has really been decimated by the introduction of television sets, laptops and just pure laziness.”

 

“You’re aware that what you just said did not contain a of sense?”

 

She glared at me. “Just cause you’re a smarty pants.”

 

“And really,” she threw her leg over mine and adjusted the covers, “boys these days are just... eugh.”

 

“They wear their pants under their asses. I mean come on, really? They drink and party and all they seem to have time to do is to have with s.” 

 

Automatically, like the good younger sister I was, I nodded. 

 

But my brain wouldn’t obey. With every single complaint she listed, my thoughts would bounce back, telling me that ‘no, Jae Joong doesn’t do that’ or ‘no, Jae Joong isn’t like that’.

 

I guess though, she saw completely through me.

 

“Hey.”

 

“What?” 

 

I hid my face in my pillow to refrain myself from laughing.

 

“I’m guessing your toyboy is different now isn’t he?”

 

I could just feel my ears turning red. “No. He’s not different.”

 

She didn’t need to prompt me to talk more.

 

My anger bubbled over. “He’s so ignorant of me and has no sense about what I’m supposed to like, he just expects me to turn into a perfect wifey after what, months of marriage, he expects me to grow accustomed to his superstar life and I can’t do that!”

 

“Jae Joong’s a . He’s a ing moron. I hate him and he’s not worth it. But he...”

 

“Jae Joong is so... perfect.” I rolled onto my back and huffed. “He can cook and I can’t, he’s so... dedicated and I have no idea what I’m doing, and he infuriates me by the way he says one thing but does another and I have no clue about how I’m supposed to get close to him!”

 

In a moment of childish frustration, I kicked the covers and put my hands on my head, messing with my hair.

 

Hyoseon propped her head up on her arm and gave me an amused look, “You’re in love with him.”

 

Well, there was no denying it.

 

“And what if I am?” I sighed.

 

“You’re so dumb.” I kicked her shin. “.” she hissed. 

 

She spoke after she recovered. “No seriously. When you’re in love with a guy and he’s off promoting some or whatever, what do you do?” she tapped my head. “Throw a hissy fit and get him back!”

 

“It’s not like he’s gonna cheat.”

 

Oh. Hadn’t I told her about Sohee?

 

“It’s not that easy.” I said. 

 

Hyoseon rolled her eyes. “God what now? Don’t tell me his ex is back in town and out to get him?” Her sarcasm unfortunately hit the mark.

 

Right. On. The. Mark.

 

Hyoseon measured my expression.

 

“Ffff!” she swore loudly and I clamped my hands over in an effort to keep her volume down. “Jesus Seohyun! What the hell have you done?! I’ve only been away for a few months!”

 

“Well half of this isn’t even my fault!”

 

“How can it not be?” she countered, sitting up and pulling me with her.

 

“I mean, some comes back into your husband’s life claiming that she owns him and that he’s meant for her-”

 

I amended, “Sohee didn’t say that.”

 

Hyoseon threw me a sharp glance, “Well Sohee did with her actions.” Her tone was spiteful and scathing.

 

My sister gripped me by the shoulders. I could feel the rings and her fake nails digging into my skin. 

 

“Seohyun! Man up sis! This Kim Jae Joong is a dickhead of a guy but you obviously love him so you gotta go back and get him! Use your force okay? You can do it!”

 

And this was why my sister was so different to me.

 

I, Hamasaki Seohyun would NEVER be loud enough to just waltz back into my husband’s life and stamp him as my property. One, my personality just draws the line there, and two, seeing as I was the one who walked out, shouldn’t he be coming for me?

 

“No.” 

 

Hyoseon’s jaw dropped at my refusal.

 

“What?” she shrieked.

 

My resolve wavered for a moment but I picked myself up. “No. I’m not going back for him. It’s his fault that he hesitated when Sohee was back and I’m not going to apologise for it.”

 

She ran her hand over her face. 

 

“Look, I never said you had to apologise, I said you were to go and get him back before his ex does!”

 

I thought about it for a moment.

 

“No.”

 

“Jesus christ!” Hyoseon threw her hands up in the air and got up and off the bed. 

 

She slammed her hands down on the squishy mattress and sent the nutella jar rolling off the bed. My eyes followed it until it reached the ground with a loud slapping sound and I stared through it.

 

“Seohyun. You can’t be so thick headed! Go back and get him sis! Don’t let him slip away from your grasp.”

 

The frown in my face deepened as I thought about it.

 

“No, no, no, no, NO!” I yelled, finally getting enough.

 

I stood up quicker than she did and pointed at her, yelling, “You don’t get it! I was the one who walked out, I was the one who left him and I can’t just go back after disappearing for a few days and just settle myself back into his life!”

 

“It just doesn’t work like that Hyoseon! I”

 

“Wait.” she put her hands up and shook her head. “You were the one who walked out?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Sis.” Hyoseon came over to my side and held my hands. She squeezed them lightly and tears sprang into my eyes.

 

“I don’t know what your husband is like, but he’s an indecisive little . You obviously need to start wearing the pants in the relationship because if you don’t, that Sohee girl is gonna come and give you a wedgie that’ll last for the rest of your life.”

 

-

 

Hyun Joong opened the door.

 

“Seohyun.” mild surprise coloured his voice and I shifted uncomfortably under his gaze.

 

“Um, hey. I came to give you this.” I passed him a beautifully decorated lunch box from a wonderfully quaint and organised shop a few blocks from his apartment.

 

He took it with shiny eyes and thanked me whole heartedly. My lips stretched into a kind smile, one that made my heart ache. His kindness and honesty was just too good to be true.

 

“So what’s this for?” He asked.

 

“For sending me to Shinee’s dorm.” My answer was whole hearted and truthful. I owed him for dropping me off at their place. It gave me time to think.

 

But not enough time.

 

“Oh. Um,” he wet his lips nervously. My eyes narrowed a fraction. “Seohyun, I-”

“Hyun Joong-ah.”

 

A soft voice called him from inside. 

 

My heart almost stopped beating before it picked up and accelerated to a dangerous speed. That voice. It was too feminine to be a man, but far too husky to be a woman’s. 

 

Hyun Joong sensed my shock and realization and before I could sprint away from his door, he caught my wrist with his iron grip.

 

“Just wait.” he gritted his teeth when I began to pry at his hand, desperate to leave.

 

“Let me go!” My voice was laced with pain and a hint of anger.

 

I had to get out of here before Jae Joong - my husband - saw me.

 

“Nugueyo?” His voice rang in the hallway again.

 

My eyes searched Hyun Joong’s but he wouldn’t meet mine. “Please, just let me go.”

 

Stubbornly, almost like a child, he held on. If even his grip got tighter. 

 

“It was part of your plan wasn’t it?” I hissed angrily. Hyun Joong shook his head violently and I softened a bit.

 

Just a bit.

 

Of course, how could he have known that I was coming? I didn’t even call before hand. 

 

But now I knew what he was doing. He was stalling so Jae Joong could come and see what was taking his friend so long.

 

I searched my brain for a plan to get out. Before I could even register what I had done though, my body acted and I used my free hand to tickle Hyun Joong’s side. He bent over in a spasm and the lunch box nearly toppled out of his hand.

 

His grip slackened for an instant and I used that as a leeway to run.

 

Ripping my wrist from his hand, I grabbed my bag and dashed to the elevator. “Come on.” I muttered as I hastily pressed the down button.

 

It wasn’t coming fast enough.

 

“Hey-” My head darted towards Hyun Joong’s direction again and caught the eyes of another. Jae Joong stood at the door way, his left hand stuffed in his pocket and the right holding a glass of cold beer.

 

The moment our eyes met, it seemed as if we were in slow motion. Emotions I couldn’t decipher flickered in his eyes.

 

The bottle of beer slipped from his grasp and smashed on the floor. 

 

The sound of the glass breaking into big shards snapped me out of my daze and I hurtled my way past the elevator and to the stairs.

 

There was no sound as I hurried down the staircase, cursing the amount of floors I had to get down. 

 

I was already down two floors when the door from Hyun Joong’s level was about to close, but before it could, someone pushed it open again.

 

Jae Joong looked at me, and in that instant I ran faster, skipping stairs two, three, four in a row in a frenzied attempt to leave.

 

“Seohyun!”

 

Just his voice terrified me to no end.

 

I could hear his footsteps getting louder, closer and more careless, and at the back of my mind I worried that he would twist his ankle or something, but I guess that applied more to me.

 

The door.

 

The door to the last floor was in sight and my hand reached out to grab it...

 

I was so close...

 

 

 

-

 

So I had this massive speech lined up, but scrap that.

 

I just want all OUR readers to know that you should thank N-MA_Nightingale for this.

 

It was through her effort that this fic was possible, and without her, Jae Joong wouldn't have been as y,

 

 

Yoochun wouldn't have been as infuriating,

 

 

Hyun Joon wouldn't have been as dreamy

 

 

and Seohyun... would have ceased to exist.

 

Without her input, this just would not have been possible.

 

To be honest, i'm a little worried about how this fic will go after she leaves.

I fear it will nose dive into oblivion without her.

 

Thank you Nima, you are just... special.

 

I swear when I saw her message I cried.

 

 

 

Nima and I don't live in the same country...

But our partnership and friendship will live forever on.