Amaranth (BaekChen)

One Plus One Equals Three: The BaekChenLay Chronicles

pairing: BaekChen
length: 866 words

Every morning, at seven o’clock on the dot, Jongdae could be seen on his front porch with a giant blue watering can. Various potted plants decorated the porch, brightening up the neighborhood with their colorful flowers and vibrant leaves.

And every day, without fail, Jongdae could be seen carefully watering the plants and flowers, gazing upon them with a soft smile. In this informal little horticultural hub, time seemed to be frozen; for as long as anyone could remember, the flowers were always blooming and the leaves never withered like everyone else’s plants did.

The neighborhood children often whispered to each other, saying that fairies inhabited the supposed magical flora. Because how else could they thrive, even on the coldest of winter days?

Jongdae’s front porch was the subject of envy for many in the neighborhood, who all wished that their green thumb was as prosperous and miraculous as his. And it was beautifully picturesque, watching Jongdae tend to his beloved flowers with so much care and affection.

However, if only the neighbors looked closer at Jongdae, they would be able to see the sadness underlying the smile he always wore while tending to his floral companions. Especially whenever he watered the crimson amaranth that sat on the rightmost window sill. There, it was able to catch just the right amount of sunlight while being perfectly shielded from the rain or any other unfavorable weather conditions.

It was an uncommon choice as a grand centerpiece when most others would choose more eye-catching flowers like red roses or colorful tulips. But there was no denying how Jongdae’s smile automatically widened whenever he approached the crimson amaranth and tilted the watering can towards tassel-like flower, letting a light shower cascade gently down its tiny petals and roots.

Even safely tucked away in such an unassuming place, the crimson amaranth was the unspoken crown jewel of the front porch.

“Do you know what this means in the language of flowers?” Baekhyun asked with a playful smile.

Jongdae shook his head while answering with a slight snort, “Since when did you become an expert on flowers?”

“Since I started dating a horticultural genius like you,” the older male cheekily replied. “We both have to know our flowers if we’re going to beautify the entire world with them.”

“Alright, then enlighten me, O Floral Linguist,” Jongdae quipped while chuckling. “Why is this amaranth so special?”

Baekhyun’s voice suddenly dropped an octave and he leaned over, pressing their foreheads together, while saying, “Because this is my gift and my promise to you.” Tenderly trailing his fingers against Jongdae’s defined jaw line, the older male continued, “This will be a symbol of our everlasting love. No matter the harsh storms we may face, no matter the dark nights that may come, we’ll weather them all together and bloom under the shining sun.”

Jongdae smiled as he leaned into Baekhyun’s delicate touch. “You know you’re a real cheese ball, right?”

The older male grinned mischievously again. “How did you know I also got you a cheese wheel as a gift?”

“No, you didn’t!”

Baekhyun’s grin widened as he gestured to the circular package on the dining table and Jongdae almost fell over from laughing so hard, half exasperated with himself for not noticing earlier and half in disbelief with the older male’s outrageously outlandish ideas.

God, he was never going to find anyone else like Byun Baekhyun, was he?

Jongdae’s smiled slipped, for just a second, as his eyes surreptitiously flicked towards the road. It was bustling with the usual morning traffic—cars rushing to work, children skipping to school, and animals darting all over the trees.

Nothing too out of the ordinary.

But the familiar shock of ash brown hair was missing from the otherwise picture-perfect moment. The familiar silver coat he had gifted three years ago and the person he had gifted it to were nowhere to be seen, no matter where he looked.

The empty space on the porch and the empty space in Jongdae’s chest were both amplified even more by Baekhyun’s prolonged absence. The days had begun to blur together, now that hundreds had passed without any word of return from the other male. Had it not been for the calendar that hung next to the crimson amaranth, each passing day marked with a red pen, Jongdae didn’t think he could remember just how long it’d been since he’d last seen Baekhyun.

And it was a terrifying thought, realizing that he might be slowly losing bits and pieces of who Baekhyun was to him. And their previously shared life, once upon a time.

The cheese wheel was long gone, fed to the dozens of small animals that cheerily visited the porch from time to time.

The left side of the bed was cold and untouched, nary a wrinkle in sight from disuse.

And the merry days of yore were nothing more than memories now, a snapshot of what had been rather than a forecast of what could be.

All that remained was the crimson amaranth in Jongdae’s possession, standing tall as a beacon to lead Baekhyun home someday.

This amaranth promised to be everlasting.

So everlasting it would be.

♈♈♈