A Sweet Treat (BaekLay)

One Plus One Equals Three: The BaekChenLay Chronicles

pairing: BaekLay
length: 1155 words
A/N: Written at the request of ShaMusume and zaikenhuo! Hope you guys like it!
Part One: Frozen in Time

Before coming to Korea, I didn’t know what patbingsu was. Now that I’m here, I think it’s the best dessert ever created and I want to give a big hug to whoever came up with this brilliant creation.

It’s a little regrettable that I have to let go of Baekhyun’s hand. It’s such a beautiful hand and so comfortable to hold. Our interlocked fingers fit together perfectly, like a finished puzzle. Without him, I’m not complete.

Ooh, that gave me the shivers. Seriously, only Baekhyun can turn me into this sappy, poetic mess. I can feel my dimple constantly indenting my cheek, because being with Baekhyun just immediately puts me in a great mood.

Once our hands are untied, courtesy of the nice MBC employee that helped us, I reach into the ice bag but Baekhyun stops me and gives me a hand wipe. My heart melts, because he’s just so inherently considerate and I wish people wouldn’t overlook his politeness. Sure, he can go a little bit overboard sometimes with teasing people, but that’s just his way of creating a comfortable environment. Baekhyun’s a little kid at heart, but he’s also one of the nicest guys I’ve been blessed to have in my life.

After we clean thoroughly clean our hands, we start fiddling with the shaved ice machine. Baekhyun looks so attractive as he stares at the contraption with his puppy-like facial expression. Even the way he naturally moves his body as he grabs the ice from my hand, which sends little tingles throughout my arm upon contact, reminds me of an energetic puppy that’s curiously sniffing around something for the first time.

Baekhyun boldly grabs the huge piece of ice that I had dropped into the shaved ice machine and tries to smash it with his thin hands. I hurriedly root through the bag to find smaller pieces so that he doesn’t need to bother with that stupidly large piece. But he suddenly reaches for the bag of ice in my hands and just as I’m about to protest, I momentarily get distracted when I hear Kris and Shindong say my name. So Baekhyun is able to swoop the bag away from my grasp and he starts pounding it against the leg of a nearby chair.

I’m confused as to why they’ve mentioned my name, so I ask the female MBC employee who’s filming Baekhyun and me. But then I remember that I should be helping Baekhyun instead and I look back to find him diligently smashing the bag. I try to reach for it, since sweet little Baekhyun shouldn’t have to worry about this dumb ice, but he moves it out of my reach and continues trying to break the ice on his own.

He finally decides that the ice is small enough to use and I stick my hands into the bag so that he doesn’t have to hold the chilly ice. I grab a piece that could be broken up into smaller pieces and try to split it with my bare hands, so Baekhyun won’t have to break it himself. But his eagle eyes catch me and he swiftly takes that piece of ice away from me to drop it back into the bag. And that small caring action sets my heart aflame, because why is he so nice?!

I don’t want to be useless, so once he fills the shaved ice machine, I immediately take the helm and begin grinding the ice. After several moments, Shindong asks us to quietly crush the ice since the noise is interrupting the broadcast. Baekhyun, that sweet polite soul, apologizes as he continues gripping the machine so that it stays steady while I crush the ice.

As I continue grinding the ice, I can see Baekhyun look up and laugh every few seconds out of the corner of my eye. And that causes me to have a giggling fit, because seeing Baekhyun so happy and lively is what keeps me going. Seeing him smile so brightly makes me happier than I could have ever imagined and I can’t stop laughing to myself once I start.

The bubble of joy inside me is growing bigger and bigger with every passing second, and it all peaks when our gazes lock onto each other. Baekhyun’s endearing expression is giving me so much life right now. I don’t even know why I’m laughing anymore. He’s like a drug, bringing me up to unimaginable heights, and my barely controlled laughter is the result of this sudden high.

I think I’m going crazy.

But it’s a good kind of crazy.

I’m crazy in love with this adorable kid.

And if Byun Baekhyun really were a drug, I would get high off of him every chance I get. He’s just that addicting.

And I love it. I love the feeling he instills within me.

Just as I love him. Wholeheartedly.

Shindong admonishes us again for being so loud and I burst out laughing, unable to contain the silent giggles any longer. But after that, I’m able to properly compose myself and I return my focus to making the patbingsu. I can’t keep getting distracted by Baekhyun and his perfection, especially since this is being broadcasted later on.

We finish grinding enough ice for one bowl and begin preparing for the second bowl. Baekhyun grabs the ice bag before I can and plucks out as much ice as he can while blocking my attempts to help him. I wish he’d let me help, because his beautiful hands need to be kept unharmed. I’d never forgive myself if he somehow hurt his hands while making this patbingsu.

After he fills the shaved ice machine, he’s about to help me steady the machine again, but I don’t want him hurting himself. So I tell him to prepare the misugaru, the roasted grain powder, while I grind the ice and thankfully, Baekhyun listens to me obediently. He then tries opening the can of red beans, with a lot of trouble, and I’m about to take the can away from him but that stubborn boy just won’t let me help him. So once I finish preparing the second bowl of shaved ice, while he’s generously adding spoonfuls of red beans to the first bowl, I snatch away the canned fruits to open so that he doesn’t have to hurt his fingers anymore. After all, those precious fingers must be protected at all costs.

I feel so relaxed and content, making the patbingsu with Baekhyun by my side. As we decorate the treats with copious amounts of fruits, condensed milk, and tteok, small little rice cakes, it’s like we’re a married couple making dessert together. I’m just so happy that my first time making patbingsu is with Baekhyun, because I’m having so much fun doing this together.

What I need, forever and ever, is Byun Baekhyun. He is the sweetest treat I could ever have.

♈♈♈