Chapter 19

Secret Love Song
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It had already been a week since Jongin and Soojung had broken up, but only their closest friends and members knew about it.

Jongin did not want to think of it as the end of their relationship, explaining why he was so adamant that everyone who knew about the breakup kept it to themselves. He absolutely did not want the company to hear about it, because they would be too happy to give the information out to the media. And that would mean that him and Soojung would not have any more chances to fix this.

Soojung left to go to Italy for yet another photoshoot with a famous Italian based brand, while Jongin was getting ready for the Seoul Dream Concert.

After Soojung hung up on him that night, she refused to pick any of his calls for three whole days. The only time she replied to one of his attempts of reaching out to her was when he texted her that he understood and accepted her decision now.

He did not really mean any of it, but he just wanted her to reply and talk to him. To say something. Anything.

She did reply by saying 'Thank you'. A simple yet very clear response that made him torture himself for days, trying to understand what she meant. He did not know how to take those two words. Did she mean that everything was really over? Or did it just mean that she was glad to know he understood, and that she would think about it?

Jongin had so much going on during that week, but not a day has passed without him thinking of Soojung, and missing her. He went home a few days ago, and he could not resume to tell the truth to his mother, who was eagerly asking about Soojung. Everything and everyone around him reminded him of Soojung, and it made things even harder. He could not believe how insensitive he had been to her feelings in the past weeks, and how he did not realize how much he missed her even before loosing her.

It would have usually been complicated for someone to focus on work during such an emotionally confusing time, but being the dedicated artist he is, Jongin has still managed to pour his heart into creating the best stage for his long awaited comeback.

The boys were all at the venue, waiting for their turn to perform. Some of them were watching other people's stages from the common hall across from where the stage was, and others were still having their make up done in another room. Jongin was absentmindedly looking at his phone's inner screen, with Soojung's picture.

He did not even realize when Sehun sat across from him, with his arms crossed against his chest.

Sehun: Jongin.

He seemed to break out of his transe, as he looked at his friend.

Jongin: Mm?

Sehun: Text her, if you miss her that much. Don't just sit back and look at her photo.

Jongin: Who?

He tried acting as though he did not know who Sehun was referring to, while putting his phone away in his pocket.

Sehun: Jongin, please stop the act already.

Jongin: Sehun, what do you want to say exactly?

Suho, Xiumin and Lay who were also in the waiting room started paying attention to the two boys. They have constantly been bickering over every little thing for the past few days, and it was starting to get ridiculous.

Sehun: You're obviously not happy, lately. So own up to your sh*t and just fix it.

Jongin: You're talking as if it was that easy. Everything is perfect in your little cute and cheesy relationship, so you think you can give me lessons about how I handled mine, but the truth of the matter is that yours is doing so well because no one knows about it, and you're free to do whatever you want. So don't assume that you would not have been as helpless as I am right now, until you actually go through the same situation.

Xiumin: Boys, don't start with this again. This is not the place.

Sehun stood up and stared at Jongin, before speaking again, completely ignoring his Hyung's words.

Sehun: How can you even utter those words? The fact that my relationship is still a secret is not a blessing only, Jongin! Feeling like everyday could be the day when I have to explain myself to the world, for being in love, is one of the worst feeling ever and you should perfectly know that, considering that you were in the same situation not too long ago.

Suho: Sehun. Calm down. You guys can talk about this at home, later. I don't like to see you two argue like this.

Sehun turned to his three Hyungs.

Sehun: Why isn't anyone telling him the truth, instead of always sugarcoating everything? What are you so afraid of?

He turned back to Jongin and spoke again.

Sehun: Jongin, you're my brother, and I love you, but what exactly are you questioning here? You should have been there for her, you should have realized that she needed you, and you should have made time for her, because at the end of the day, you guys no longer have nothing to hide. That's why I don't think you have any excuses to justify the situation.

Jongin: Sehun, what exactly do you want me to do? She decided that it was over, so what should I do?

Sehun: If you love her, you fight for her, dammit! Staying like this and hurting yourself will lead to nothing!

Lay: Okay Sehun, that's enough. Come with me. We don't need this just before going on stage.

Lay grabbed Sehun by the arm and gently pulled him out of the room, leaving Xiumin and Suho with Jongin.

Xiumin: Don't misunderstand his intentions, Jongin-ah. It may look like he is just defending Soojung, but he really is looking out for you too. He is the one who hangs out with the two of you the most, so he must feel that it would be a shame if everything ends like this.

Suho: And you obviously miss her very much, Jongin. So much that you don't even realize that it is taking a real toll on you. So after we're done with this performance, take some time to go see your family or hang out with your friends. Take some time to clear your head. Okay?

Jongin stared down at his hands for a long moment, before heaving a heartfelt sigh.

Jongin: I'm scared that she will find it easier to be without me, if too much time passes. I mean, she will no longer receive hate from my fans, and she will never have to feel like she is doing something wrong by being with me. Maybe she really wants to move on.

Xiumin: First of all, if they hate on her and hurt her feelings, they are not your fans. Because it would mean that they don't mind hurting the person you love, and therefore, hurting you.

Suho nodded his head, completely agreeing with Xiumin's statement.

Jongin: Well, none of this will matter anymore if she wants us to be over.

Suho: Jongin, she doesn't want it to be over either, and that's what Sehun has been trying to tell you non stop, for the past few days. I don't know if it's because he is one of her closest friends that you don't take everything he says in consideration, but you seem to forget one important thing. Sehun is your brother, so he will always have your back. You know him better than that, Jongin.

Xiumin: I think Soojung just wants some time to think about the relationship, but it doesn't mean that she wants it to be over. And trust me, you're not helping by not talking to her. On the contrary, you're giving her too much space and if you don't act, maybe she will start thinking that you don't really want to be with her anymore.

Jongin: I do want to be with her, but I don't know what to do. She doesn't let anything appear; she doesn't give me any hints on what she wants us to do. I'm lost.

Suho: Yes, she does. Why do you think she didn't tell the company about it yet? If she really felt like you guys were over, she would have let them know about it right away.

Jongin started thinking about it, and realized that Suho was right. And it's what Sehun had been trying to tell him all this time, but he refused to listen.

Someone knocked on the door twice, before walking in. It was Taemin, closely followed by Ravi.

Xiumin: Hello, hello!

Taemin: Hello, Hyung!

Suho: Ravi! How are you?

Ravi: I'm good, Hyung! How is our young friend right here, doing?

Suho: He is as grumpy as ever.

Suho chuckled while playfully ruffling Jongin's hair.

Jongin: Haha, not funny.

They both came to sit next to their pouting friend, before giving him two brotherly hugs.

Suho: Xiumin and I will let the three of you talk. Join us in ten minutes, Jongin.

The two older boys walked out of the room, leaving the three friends together.

Taemin: Feeling any better?

Jongin: Yes, don't worry... How is she doing?

He asked, looking at Taemin, knowing that the two of them had probably spoken thoroughly about the situation already. They are very good friends, after all.

Taemin: She is doing good, to be honest.

Ravi: Didn't you hear from her?

Jongin: No... I thought she was at least going to text me to wish me luck on my first performance back, but I guess she must be seriously upset.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter