Twenty-Three

Push-ups
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

When Taemin came out of the room one morning, with a runny nose and puffy eyes, Jonghyun sighed. Jinki had been keen on keeping Taemin away for those couple of days he had his cold, but Taemin always ran into him and settled in his lap, all snuggled up, watching tv. Also, he usually just climbed between them later in the night and since Taemin always cuddled against Jinki’s tummy, stopping the flu from spreading was actually a lost cause.
 

He was a little dull, walking around without that skip in his step, lips dry and chapped because he was breathing from his mouth, sniffling every now and then as he finally climbed into his chair and started waving his little legs, watching Jonghyun make coffee.
 

Jonghyun finished it up and approached Taemin, spreading his arms for Taemin to climb in. Taemin stood up on his chair and hugged Jonghyun, his arms barely reaching Jonghyun’s back and his fists holding onto his tee as he nuzzled into his father. Jonghyun picked him up and Taemin dropped his head on Jonghyun’s shoulder, his eyes drooping.
 

“Let’s give you a warm bath, hmm?” Jonghyun said softly and Taemin replied in a nasal, muffled voice, “wokay~”
 



Jinki had left for work by the time Jonghyun and Taemin were out of the bath. Jonghyun dressed Taemin up in warmer clothes than he usually wore and after drying his hair he left him in front of the little heater they had bought. Taemin, now feeling fresher and active, ran to the closet, letting out cute breaths as he ran (because he was breathing from his mouth) and grabbed a blanket and his picture book from the table before snuggling in front of the heater with it.
 

Jonghyun called him out later for breakfast and Taemin switched off the little heater carefully before running to the breakfast table and sitting in his chair, pouting on seeing sunny-side ups on the table.
 

“It’s gonna help the cold go away, Taemin.” Jonghyun said, tapping his pouty lips gently. Taemin’s eyes widened, “Really?”
 

Jonghyun chuckled, “Yes. C’mon now eat up.”
 

But Taemin shook his head, “Appa feed me.” He said, “I sick.”
 

Jonghyun knew Taemin was taking advantage of the situation but his expectant eyes and cute nasal voice had melted him. He dragged his chair closer and shifted the plate towards himself, “Okay,” He picked up a bite, “Ahh~”
 

Taemin giggled before taking in the bite and ate the rest of it without complaints, telling Jonghyun the story he had formed around the pictures of his book in between his bites.
 



When Jinki got home, Jonghyun saw that Minho was following him timidly, his soccer ball bag on his back, as his excited eyes roamed to find Taemin. Jonghyun had completely forgotten that Minho was coming over for a couple of days now that the kids were on break.
 

“I picked him up on the way home. It would save the Choi’s a trip.” Jinki explained, ruffling Minho’s hair before gently ushering him in. Minho jogged forward and greeted Jonghyun before placing his bag in the closet.
 

Jonghyun watched him find Taemin, asleep on the couch, all snuggled up in his blanket.
 

“Aw, he’s asleep?” Jinki asked as he loosened his tie, halting to have a look at their son.
 

“Yeah. He was fine in the morning but,” Jonghyun sighed, a little weary. “He grew irritated in the afternoon and started crying. Maybe his head was hurting because of the cold or he was just feeling stuffy.”
 

Taemin stirred and Jinki overrode his plans to change and instead sat on the couch beside Taemin, waiting for him to open his eyes, holding his arms out so he could climb in.
 

“Jinnie,” Taemin whispered hoarsely and climbed into his lap, clinging onto him, closing his eyes and drifting back to sleep.
 

Jinki kissed his head, softly his back wh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter