Chapter 2

My Dorky Next Door Neighbor

 

Two Miserable Hearts Meet Part 1

"What happened to you man?"

Aaron didn't mind the question of his friend, Jiro. He took another shot of vodka and drank it straight up.

"Dude, what time are you drinking?" Calvin asked, one of his friend too.

He knew his friends were worried about him. He wasn't being himself lately. But he wasn't as pathetic as his friends thought he was. He just wanted to drink. The truth is, he only started a few minutes ago.

Chun took the bottle and closed it. "That's enough, Aaron."

Aaron didn't protest. He stood up from his minibar and sat at the sofa. His friends followed him. They were at his house. They called him and said that they were coming. Jiro have an important announcement to make.

"I'm not drowning myself, guys." He's not a drinker. They're just exaggerating. But there's a reason behind it.

"Has Hebe talked to you?"

He smiled bitterly. "No. She called quickly. She said she's in Australia. The last time she called up, she was in New York."

Calvin sat on his side. "She didn't say anything?"

Aaron shook his head.

Hebe was his girlfriend for three years. But it looks like they're together for two years only because she left a year ago. She left without saying goodbye. When she called, she was already in America. She even said to wait for her. She never said "sorry" for leaving him.

Of course, he was mad when he learned that. Did she thought that he will be happy on what she has done? Of course he will get angry.

They were supposed to get married. He proposed to her and she said "yes".

After a month, she was already in the US.

Hebe was already a ramp model even before he met her. He fell in love with her. He courted her and after two months, she was his girlfriend. After two years, he asked her to marry him. She agreed because her two-year contract with the agency was finished.

But now, she was everywhere. Hebe had gone international. She set aside the opportunity of being with him and choose to expand her career instead.

The day Hebe left, she made two phone calls only. When Aaron went to New York, she didn't bother to talk to him because she was so busy. Or maybe she's just avoiding him. Either these two reasons, he don't know.

He had nothing against her dream. It was her dream. Who was he to stop her? But she promised him, set her words. And Aaron was waiting for over a year. He's waiting for unsecured promise. He's tired of waiting. He don't know when she's coming back or if she's really coming back. He wanted assurance. Is it that hard for Hebe to give? He don't know which is her first priority. Because if she cares about him, she will consider his feelings.

"What about your wedding? You've postponed it for how many times! What did she say about it?" Calvin asked.

"She doesn't wanna talk about it," Aaron answered frustratedly. "Let's not talk about her anymore."

"This is a bad sign," Chun commented.

"So, what's this meeting all about?" he asked Jiro.

"I'll go ahead with you, bro," he answered. "Rainie and I are getting married."

He got even more frustrated.

###########################################################

GuiGui was still crying on the way to her Uncle Armand's place in Greenhill Valley at Taipei. He was her Dad's brother. She was already crying nonstop inside the plane. She was deported back to Taiwan--- by her own parents.

She was pissed because her parents took her back under the guidance of her Dad's younger brother.

They're so unfair! GuiGui thought.

She can go back by herself without the guidance of an older person. She was twenty, for crying out loud! She can live by herself without a guardian.

Is it her fault that her boyfriend, Wang Zi, is already married and she didn't even know about it?

She frustratedly brushed away her tears.

That jerk!

If not for that stupid guy, her supermarket business would be open. But it was all gone because her parents took back the capital and "deported" her. All the good opportunities waiting for her in Chicago went gone because of that guy!

GuiGui and Wang Zi was in a relationship for three months--- a Chinese-American--- when her parents saw him with a girl eating in a restaurant. Her parents talked to him angrily and they were so embarassed when the girl said that she's Wang Zi's wife.

When her parents went home, she got tons of sermons. They thought that she knew about Wang Zi's wife. If they're surprised about it, what more could she react? If her parents didn't caught him, that Wang Zi jerk would continue fooling her.

Good thing they found out soon. Good thing she didn't surrender her ity to him though he asked for it several times.

What makes her cry was, her parents don't trust her anymore. They're thinking that she will meet with Wang Zi again whenever she like. So they decided to deport her to Taiwan and she can come back to Chicago if she totally forget about Wang Zi.

They don't need to do that actually. She could get over Wang Zi in no time at all. In fact, she wasn't even thinking about him. Her parents was thinking that they would make up again. So they let her go vacation to her Uncle Armand, who's a few blocks away from their house.

What makes her mad was, the business plan with Adrian, her Chinese-American friend. Adrian was her best friend. He's the same age as her. He's the only person in Chicago who's very fluent in Mandarin eventhough he was born and raised there.

He had a secret that only GuiGui knew. Eventhough he's a real man in looks, he's a real girl at heart.

They both finished Business Management at University of Chicago, but unlike him she didn't bother to find a job after they graduated. She thought her parents would allow them to do their supermarket business. She went on easy with he life. Even her apartment was paid by her parents.