Chapter 23

My Dorky Next Door Neighbor

 

Classic Joke Hurts

"Mommy, I wanna go back home," GuiGui said on the other line. Her mom called to say hello.

She returned to her Uncle Armand's house. After the kiss between GuiGui and Aaron that night, she went back to her uncle to avoid him.

That night, when he stopped kissing her, she thought Aaron felt guilty. It was the only answer to why he stopped and headed back to his house. He thought maybe what they did was wrong. She don't know if Aaron is to blame. He initiated it, he did the first move.

GuiGui didn't see him for four days. Or, he is hiding from her for four days. It will be better for both of them. He don't have any reasons to explain to her.

"Baobei, your dad and I are going there," her mom replied.

"Good for you. But I want to go home. I have to start my business." But her heart was saying no.

"Your business can wait, GuiGui. Adrian told me that it's okay if you stay there for a while. One more thing, it's your uncle's birthday so don't go home yet."

GuiGui didn't protested.

"When we come back, then go with us, darling. Your dad will not agree if you stay alone here. You know the reason, right?"

GuiGui wanted to tell that Wang Zi already found her. But she change her mind because she knew that they will be worried with her. She don't want them to have an additional headache.

###########################################################

It was her Uncle Armand's birthday and a party was held. Lots of people gathered around the house. GuiGui's parents are already there.

She anticipated the arrival of Aaron's family. They were invited to this occassion. The truth is, she's waiting for Aaron's arrival. She was very nervous. She don't know how to act in front of him.

What if he don't come because he's avoiding her? That she didn't think of.

When GuiGui saw Auntie Lena with Uncle Bruce, her neck almost expand, spotting if Aaron is with them. Then her heartbeat thump like crazy when he saw him behind his mom. She will not deny the fact that she's happy to see him.

GuiGui felt went dry when she saw the girl beside Aaron. She was sure it was Hebe. She came back already.

Before Aaron laid his eyes on GuiGui, she quickly avoided him. GuiGui pretended she didn't saw him. She wanted to run and stay at her room. She wanted to cry right at this moment.

Did Aaron brought his fiancee to show at her face that the kiss between them meant nothing?

Hebe's presence brought attention to the people because she is well known. Everyone greeted her.

Aaron's family went to them. They greeted the birthday celebrant.

Then, GuiGui looked at Aaron. He was staring at her. She looked away from him then her eyes caught Hebe. She was smiling to them.

Her mom and Auntie Lena greeted each other. It was shown in their face that they missed each other.

"It's been a long time!" her mom said to Auntie Lena.

"Dui," Auntie Lena agreed. "Our children had grown up. I teased GuiGui to go on with Aaron's promise and get married with him."

GuiGui didn't expect the words that came out of Auntie Lena's mouth. She looked at Hebe and surprise is written on her face. Hebe didn't know anything about that old joke.

"That was a classic joke," Aaron said to his fiancee.

GuiGui looked at Auntie Lena. "A-auntie, don't start." She pouted.

GuiGui didn't know if Auntie Lena intentionally mentioned that joke in front of Hebe. She knew Auntie Lena didn't like her for Aaron. But she doesn't want them to have misunderstandings even though it was just a joke.

GuiGui felt hurt seeing them together but that doesn't mean she will be happy knowing that Auntie Lena liked her for her son.

They were all in the same table. She looked at them secretly. GuiGui felt there's a tension between Aaron and Hebe. It seemed Hebe took the joke seriously. She heard Hebe asking Aaron what is GuiGui's relationship with him.

GuiGui didn't know if she will join the conversation because she wanted to explain to Hebe that it was all a joke. How can she do that if herself was hoping that the classic joke would come true?

And a sad realization hit her. She was falling for Aaron, the groom that wouldn't be hers.