Chapter 8

My Dorky Next Door Neighbor

 

I Love To Make You Cry

Before the clock strikes twelve noon, Aaron was already in GuiGui's front door to pick her up. He wanted to make sure she will come to have lunch with him.

"Ready?" Aaron asked as she opened the door.

"You should bring the food here," GuiGui said. "I felt lazy walking to your house."

"You're not a princess, missy," he turned back and walked back to his house.

GuiGui followed him with a sour face. When they reached his house, she wanted to back out as soon as she saw the dog welcoming them. "Not that dog again!" she hissed at Aaron.

"Relax, GuiGui," he said and hold his pet. "Rufo is nice."

"Eventhough," she said and walked faster to his door. "I don't want to take a bath with his saliva."

Aaron laughed as he let go of Rufo. He opened the door for her.

The interior of Aaron's house was nice. She can't help but noticed it. "You design this?"

"Only the house structure. I hired a designer for the interior." he guided her to the kitchen.

The food was prepared on the table. Her eyebrows raised. If his Mom was not here, it means he's the one who cooked. "You know how to cook?"

"What do you think of me, a bumhead?"

GuiGui shrugged off her shoulders. Saute'd shrimp with pineapple chunks is their lunch. She can't believe he cooked it.

"I know how to cook. Mama taught me," Aaron said when he noticed she's not convinced.

"It's quite unbelievable," GuiGui confessed.

"Well, it's up to you if you don't believe me," he said and sat next to her. "Anyway, I apologized if this is all I have. Mom didn't bought some groceries before she left yesterday."

"Where is Auntie Lena by the way?" she asked.

"In Kenting, with her boyfriend."

"Boyfriend?" she asked in surprise.

"Yeah, boyfriend," he replied casually.

"It's okay with you?"

"Why not? I know Uncle Bruce."

GuiGui nodded. She left Taiwan for a very long time, she didn't know what's going on with their family friends.

"When did they, uhm... when did they start dating?" GuiGui asked shyly.

"Two years already."

GuiGui stopped asking. They ate lunch silently. In fairness to Aaron, the dish was delicious. In fact, his cooking was more decent than her.

After they ate, he invited her in the backyard. A wooden swing caught her attention. It was in the middle of the bermuda grass and covered with wooden roof.

"You made that, too?" she asked.

"Yes."

"Pretty, huh!"

"Thanks. You like to go there?"

GuiGui nodded and they went to the swing. Aaron sat next to her.

Silence filled the air for a few minutes.

"How are you?" Aaron suddenly asked.

"I'm fine."

"You're still good in speaking Mandarin," he noticed.

"That's because I speak the language most of the time."

Aaron smiled. "Really? I thought you adapted American language."

GuiGui smiled too. "Crazy! We speak Mandarin in the house. Adrian, my bestfriend in Chicago was Chinese too."

"So, what's it like living in a foreign country?"

"It's okay. I was young when we went there so it's not difficult to adjust. Besides, I'm with my parents."

"What do you do in Chicago?"

GuiGui shut up when he asked about that. She don't have any answer to his question. What does she do? Nothing. Admittedly, she was a bummer. But only because she knew she had a better plan for herself. She planned on building a supermarket. She and Adrian thought about it. That's why he's working hard and saving in addition for their capital.

GuiGui thought about Aaron. He was an architect and he seemed very good at his work. It was obvious from their house that he made. She felt envious of him. Who would have thought a naughty boy who only knows how to tease would be successful in his chosen career?

"Don't ask," GuiGui answered.

"Why won't I ask?" Aaron said.

"Honestly, I don't have a good job like yours," she answered casually. "I'm planning to build a supermarket in Chicago. Me and my friend are partners. We have project plan already. We're just waiting for the capital."

Aaron nodded. "It's good for you then."

GuiGui rolled her eyes. "Yeah, I'm expecting you'd say I'm nothing but a bummer."

His forehead crumpled. "Bummer? You're not a bummer."

"What am I then?"

"Ahm..." he paused for a while. "Your family can afford those type of businesses so you don't need to work in a company."

"Whatever you call it," she said.

"What were you thinking going back so suddenly?"

"Nothing. My Dad wanted me to," she just can't tell about her comeback in Taiwan. It was embarassing. He will just rejected love life while he's already getting married.

Speaking of which, "I heard from Auntie Rose you're getting married. Who's the unlucky girl?" GuiGui pretended she didn't know the girl's name.

GuiGui didn't know if he heard her or he doesn't wanna talk about it. "So, you have a love life in Chicago?"

"You didn't answer my question," she said.

He laughed." "Oh, what's your question again?"

GuiGui repeated what she said.

Aaron's smile faded. "She's someone who's so busy with her career."

GuiGui stared at him. He sounds so bitter. He didn't mentioned Hebe's name. "When is the wedding?"

"No definite date," he shrugged his shoulders. "By the way, do you have the itinerary while you're on vacation?"

"Why? You'll accompany me?" GuiGui asked him. He doesn't want to talk about Hebe. Maybe they had a misunderstanding.

"Why not? You came back once in a blue moon so it's better I accompany you. I'm dying to make you cry."

GuiGui pouted. "So you finally admitted that you're happy to tease and make me cry."

"I love to make you cry."

GuiGui's eyes grew smaller. "That's what I hate about you, Dork. You're so mean."