Knowing each other

A Fear To Overcome

  “What’re the boys taking so long to buy fruits,” Hongbin sighed.

  “What’s wrong?” she asked.

  “What?” he looked confused.

  “You were sighing so heavily just now,” she pointed out.

  “Nothing, that was nothing,” he said.

  “I didn’t know you could talk to me as if we know each other,” she said as she handed him a cup of water.

  “What do you mean?” he asked and started drinking.

  “Oh you know… when someone was brought over to a new environment, wouldn’t he or she takes his or her time to adjust? Unlike you… you just go with the flow,” she said.

  “Ah that… I just want to know myself quickly. Just like you, I bet you want my memories to come back to me as soon as possible so I could be myself again,” he said smiling.

  “But don’t force yourself,” she continued.

  “Sorry?” he begged his pardon.

  “Sometimes memories don’t come back when you forced them to. You just have to let them be,” she concluded and he nodded.  

  “By the way, the doctor told me that I could be discharged tomorrow!” he exclaimed.

  “Hey that’s great news! There’ll be many people welcoming you back, trust me,” she congratulated him.

  “Oh my… I should really get used to this. People that I don’t even know are welcoming back like I’m some kind of a family member,” he faked a laugh.

While the both of them are talking, Eugene has been checking her phone and Hongbin realized that.

   “Are you waiting for a phone call or something?” Hongbin asked.

   “Oh nothing, just worried that my dad could call me anytime,” she responded.

   “Tell me about yourself. It has always been me that we’re talking about,” he started out a new topic.

   “What do you want to know about me?” she said looking at him.

   “What do you do? What do you like?” he started interviewing her.

   “Well, I don’t usually tell people what I do cause it’s kinda confidential, but since I somehow trust you, I’ll tell you,” she took a deep breath.

  “Wait, are you sure you can tell me this? It’s okay if you can’t, I was just asking,” he interrupted.

  “It’s okay, I can tell you. I can trust you right?” she doubted.

  “Yes, you can. You have my word,” he made an action of zipping his mouth.

  “My dad runs a hotel in both Seoul and Busan. If you’re wondering what it is called, hm… it’s called Park Hyatt Hotel. You can find in on the internet,” she said, pointing towards his webbed screen phone.

  “‘Runs a hotel’ that already tell me how fortunate you are,” his jaw dropped.

  “I guess I shouldn’t play around with you,” he joked.

  “What? Were you having plans in the first place?” she squint her eyes jokingly. “You’ll be dead if I catch you doing so,” she continued.

  “Oh I can clearly see that,” he surrenders.

  “Hahaha! I was joking. Don’t ever think that money brings you power. It brings you greed actually,” she chuckled.

  “Yes, lady boss” he joked around. “Do you have a boyfriend?”

  “Nah… I realized I didn’t have the time for that,” she cornered her lips. “Are you planning to be mine?” she asked jokingly.

  “Should I?” he joked back.

  “Nope, don’t,” she said shaking her head and this time, she was serious.

  “What? Why? Don’t girls always want a boyfriend?” he asked out of curiosity.

  “Why bother having a boyfriend when you know your relationship is just temporarily?” she had a sad smile.

  “Ugh… I shouldn’t have asked that question. I must’ve reminded you about your ex,” he commented.

  “No, of course not! I just don’t like talking about lovey- dovey things, it doesn’t suit me,” she admitted.

Just then the boys came in, including Ravi. They stood back, having a feeling that they were interrupting something.

  “Sorry, are we-” Hyuk couldn’t finish his sentence.

  “No, you weren’t. Come in,” she helped him carry the fruits in.

  “Were you picking fresh fruits from the farm or something? What took you so long?” he jokingly asked.

  “Yes we were picking fresh fruits! We wanted the best for you,” N exclaimed.

  “Aw, thanks hyung,” he smiled.

Having Eugene to stand behind those boys, she had her finger over lips, making a ‘Sh’ sign, referring to him to keep his promise about her identity. Just then Hongbin responded with a wink. After serving the boys some fruits that they have bought, Eugene took a step forward.

  “Oppa-deul, I guess it’s really time for me to go. It was nice having you guys around for quite some time. Looking at how Hongbin is progressing well, I guess my time here is done, I have to go,” she pouted.

  “You’re leaving already? But we didn’t have the time to know you better,” Ken pouted too.

  “Well, if you ever need some help from me- which I doubt so, you can ask Hongbin,” she pointed Hongbin with her eyes.

Hongbin eyes widened.

  “Oh haha yeah… I guess,” he laughed awkwardly.

  “But before you go! Will you be in Seoul… or Busan?” he asked.

  “I’ll be in Seoul. Just say my name and I’ll come for you,” she smiled.

  “Wait wait! I need to write down your name somewhere. What is it again?” Hongbin pondered.

  “Jeong Eugene,” she said it clearly.

  “Oh right…okay you can go now!” he acknowledged.

  “Write it down somewhere,” Ken instructed.

  “I did,” Hongbin responded.

  “Where?” Hyuk asked.

  “Here,” he pointed towards his heart.

Not just the boys cringed when Hongbin said that, Eugene did too.

  “Please don’t do that,” she cringed. “You know it’s not my thing,” she continued. “I’ll get going, bye guys! Nice having you around!” she bid goodbye.