Cheerios and Furs

Mind Over Matter

 

“Kyungsoo, wait!”

I rest from running for a while and held onto my knees. I chased my now boyfriend—oh god, it still makes me shudder—until we got out of the very theatre. He was there rushing to his car already at the parking lot. “Hey! I said wait!” I call again. I saw his head face up like he was sighing before he turns around. “Why did you leave your date?” He asks, a bit louder since we’re meters apart. I slowly start taking my steps again while still panting.

“Wait a sec—haaa.” I stop right across him and patted my throbbing chest. “Why’d you make me chase you??” I yell when I have calmed down and he flinch in shock of my voice. “But you have a date. I was an interruption.” He answers. “Do Kyungsoo.” I point a finger at him and he backs his head away as he stares at my finger making him look cross-eyed.

“If you’d interrupt in that way, might as well do it all the way. Alright?” I made my voice clear enough. “And also, I just want to tell you that. . . he’s so not intimately going out with me. That boy’s thirteen.” I’ve decided to admit since things have gone down to how I wanted it to be. “You are very much aware that is child-abuse, right?” He asks, his head tilting to the side with his judging look. “I know, stop judging. I just. . . I just needed to wake you up.” I murmur and look away as quick as possible.

“I’m awake right now.” He defenses. “I know, I mean. . . this.” I place a palm onto his chest and he just looks down to it. “But a human heart doesn’t sl—“Geez! You know what I mean!” I cut him off and he cringe again. I look up to him, our bodies closer than ever before. We’ve never been this close to each other. “Are you going to kiss me?” I ask, my voice was soft enough to make me shudder myself. I don’t know why.

He shakes his head.

My lips curved down into a frown. “And why?” I sounded firm this time as I cross my arms on my chest. “Because. . . we might not be. . . ready yet.” He answers. “What the hell, Do Kyungsoo. We’re twenty-six and it’s twenty-sixteen for crying out loud.” I hiss. “I do agree. You’re twenty-six and you’re going out with a thirteen year old. Wow, twenty-sixteen is without a doubt mind-boggling.” He answers back and I gave him a dagger glare. “Since when did you learn sarcasm?” I ask. “Oh my, I just did sarcasm?” He asks in surprise and covers his mouth.

He looks so cute right now.

I let myself be drowned of his stares.

I’ve never been this close to him and it gives me so much view of the structure of his face.

Although he’s very annoying at the moment, I never knew he’s this handsome up-close. . .

“Do Kyungsoo. . . ugh.” I cover my eyes with my palms while groaning out of irritation.

But that was until I felt a soft sensation against my lips. I freeze on my spot, my hands slowly leaving my eyes.

His lips on my lips. Am I dreaming? He gently pulls away and our faces met inches apart. He gives me the sweetest smile I have ever seen from him.

And Snap!

I flinch and blink my eyes tightly. Kyungsoo was right across me snapping his fingers. “Are you alright?” He asks. , was that a daydream? “H-huh?” I ask and my hands reached to my heated face. “Anyway, you should go back to the kid. It’s not fun to watch alone, you go now as I go too.” He tells softly. Our eyes met and somehow, I couldn’t move anymore.

That daydream gave me chills, how more would I react if I feel his lips for real?

But the place doesn’t give the best vibe, maybe some other time.

“Kyungsoo. . .” I call and he looked down to me again. He had a calm face on, like he’s lending me all of his attention right now. All mine. “A-are we really a couple now?” I ask. He gave me a nod without further thinking. “So I hope you would enjoy watching the movie. I got to go now, I left my work there in the lab.” He tells, his voice was so soft. Soft enough to make my knees turn jelly. “U-uh. . . Kyungsoo, than—“ I couldn’t finish my sentence when he gave me a very quick peck on the cheek before completely shoving himself into his car and closed the door. He gave me a honk before driving off.

I touch the cheek that his lips have just landed on. They were so soft. As soft as his eyes were whenever he looks at me.

But back to reality. . .

My boyfriend just pushed me back to my date.

What the hell. He’s not human at all. He’s a penguin. That’s right. He is officially a penguin for me.

A cute one. Cause I bet that simple kiss on the cheek gave him panic attacks inside. I mean. . . that’s a human contact and we all know his weakness, everything social. And that doesn’t except the girlfriend, especially the FIRST girlfriend.

I should be patient, he’s working hard. Actually, kissing me on the cheek is a big step for him already. I should let him get used to holding hands first. That is. . . if he won’t mock it as a preposterous girl thing again.

Patience is a virtue, Han Iseul.

Anyway, I’ll go back to Joon. That kid might sneak off to somewhere and Hana’s going to scold me.

 

_ _ _

 

“I know right? I never imagined he would come.”

On my working space in the kitchen, I cut the cookie dough with a cookie cutter. I have an order for some night café. They ordered a bunch and so I’ve been preparing this for over an hour or two already, and I’m on the second to the last batch of tray. At the moment, I’m on a speaker phone group call with Hana and Soomi. The two girls went out on trips—both business trips, but separate trips—and so they couldn’t go here to talk about the news personally.

“Tell us how he confessed!~”

I blink rapidly as I try to process the words Kyungsoo said the other day. “Uhm. . . can I skip that? I’m not smart enough.” I answer while laughing. “My goodness, how smart did he confess anyway?” Soomi snorts. “It doesn’t matter. What matters is that he did and it was the cutest confession ever.” I said and squealed.

“Well, we’re gonna ask you seriously. Are you really ready for this? You won’t give up in the end?” Hana asks. “Guys, just trust me on this. I’m not making a wrong move here. I deserve a good guy like him.” I explain. “We know. . . we’re more concerned of your own patience than what he is as a person. You sure you have enough patience in your bag?” Soomi asks. “Yup~ and it’s a big damn luggage of patience.” I grunt back proudly.

Ding dong.

I turn my head to the door and hitched a breath. “Hey guys, I think it’s him~” I hush trying to suppress my squeal. “Talk to you later, muah muah love ya guys.” I said in a rush before pressing the end button with my clean finger before running to the door. Oops, my hands were all gooey with dough. I put both of my wrists around the knob and with my skills, I turn it open.

I laugh shyly when I succeeded to open it and saw my boyfriend standing there holding a cage of dog—a cage of dog?? I shot my eyes down at the cute puppy there. That’s when I realize Kyungsoo was wearing a black mouth mask, and his surgical gloves. “W-what is this??” I ask in disbelief. “A dog.” He answers, his voice was faint since his mouth and nose were covered.

“I-I know, but. . .”I look down to it again. I wanted to touch it but I still can’t understand. “It’s not mine and it’s not going to be yours too. I borrowed it from my co-professor’s lab so you could play with it. Her name is Choco, here.” He handed me the cage and I hesitantly hugged it out with my arms since my hands were dirty. “Come in.” I said but he didn’t move. “No, you play with her I stay here.” He says while adjusting his mask even higher.

“B-but. . . what’s the point of going here then?”

“So I could bring her here. Choco can’t go here alone, she’ll get lost.” He explains. I just gave him a sulky look. “If you can’t tolerate this, why do this then.” I murmur and heaved a sigh while looking at him in concern. “I have no apparent reason.” He answers.

“I just saw her in Dr. Kwon’s lab—he’s a veterinary professor—when I passed by and since I am acquainted with Dr. Kwon, I told him I have a girlfriend who would like to play with a pet. I initially thought of borrowing his pet Iguana but I thought you might not like to play with it because it’s. . . disgusting for a girl’s point of view, I assumed.” He explains while slowly stepping backwards, away from the cage, before continuing.

“My second choice was the turtle but then if I borrow it, I might not have the heart to return it anymore because I would like it. And there were other more choices but they’re all not cuddly. So Choco is the only choice, wait a minute—there was another one but it’s a hedgehog and I think you—“ Kyungsoo, sweetie. Do Kyungsoo—pause. Rest. Breathe.” I calmly and sweetly cut him off because he was barely breathing already.

I think he’s having panic attacks being near the dog cage so I quickly put it down by the wall, away from his sight for a while.

I watch him inhale and exhale for a matter of seconds while looking at me but he didn’t dare pull down the mask. “You shouldn’t have done this if you can’t.” I said. “Does it also apply to I shouldn’t have entered a relationship because I can’t?” He asks back which left me speechless.

I walk close to him, out of the door step and chuckle. “You’re sweating. I bet you ran all the way here while holding the cage didn’t you?” I tease and wipe the sweats on his forehead with my forearm. “Just go in and play with it, quickly. I’ll just stay here.” He tells eagerly. “Kyung, see my hands are messy right now. I’m making cookies.” I said and showed him my hands. “It’s alright. I told Dr. Kwon, the latest possible time I’ll give Choco back is until tomorrow. You still have time but I can assure you, you’re running out of it.” He tells and I respond with a hearty laugh.

“Are you sure you don’t want to enter?” I ask. “No, thank you. You go play with Choco while you still can. Petting an animal especially cute dogs help reduce production of the stress hormone, Cortisol.” He tells. “Oh, is that why you brought her to me? How about you? Don’t you want to play with her?” I ask. “No thank you. I’m not stressed. I’ll be fine here.” He answers. “I have Cheerios inside.” I said. I see his eyes move from left to right and on to peek inside my condo.

“And you have a dog inside.” He answers back letting out a smug and skeptical chuckle. “Alright then—“ So bring me the Cheerios here if you may.” He said and offered his hand. “Are you serious?” I ask and laugh. “What is wrong with that?” He asks. “You’re not going to just stand there while eating a bowl of Cheerios. I’ll feel bad.” I said as a matter of fact. “Then I have another suggestion to propose.” He said, putting an index finger up. “Alright, shoot it.” I said.

“You stay here outside and play with Choco, I go inside and eat Cheerios. Is it settled now? You second the motion?” He says. “YAH!” I grunt and he rolls his eyes. “I dislike arguments.” He said and covered his ears. “Gosh, you dislike everything!” I said and stepped back into my house and shut the door. I look down to the dog and sighed. “Damn, he’s so sweet to do this.” I murmur while biting my lower lip out of guilt.

So I run to the kitchen and wash my hands first before opening my pantry and grab the box cereal. I pour some in a bowl and since Kyungsoo always told me he likes eating it without anything, I just leave it like that and walked back to the door holding it. I open the door and peek outside, I saw Kyungsoo there a few meters away sitting down the stairs that leads to the third floor. “Here squishy squishy~ here boy, come here~” I say like he’s a dog while stretching my arm out showing the bowl. He frowns at me when I did that but eventually stands up. “That is not a humorous thing to do, mind I tell you.” He tells when he arrives in front of me and grabs the bowl.

“Stop complaining and just wait there. If you want to come in, you could, no one’s stopping you.” I answer back. I turn around to walk in again when he called my attention. I turn my head looking up to him.

“So. . . did you like it?” He asks. My lips formed a smile right away seeing his hopeful eyes and I could sense he was smiling behind that mask. So I pull it down, I was right. “Well. . . more than the apples, yeah.” I say and chuckle before stepping in again. I see his lips threatening to curve up more but he was suppressing it. “Come here boy~ here squishy squishy~” I chant again like a moron while clapping my hands making his frown come back, even worse.

With that, he shuts the door himself making me laugh.

He’s so fun to tease.

It’s funny how we stayed exactly the same from the past three months yet it still feels more intimate without the actual intimacy itself.

Well. . . we'll arrive there too. Hopefully, soon.