Alien Parasites

Mind Over Matter

“So. . . what shall we do tonight?”

Flopping down the couch beside him, I placed our mugs of coffee down first before shifting my body sideways to face him. “Uhm. . . how about let’s just slack off here and chat?” I answer and lean my head on the head of the couch – trying to act cute. “Mignon.” He mutters before grabbing his mug. “What?” I ask and shifted my jaw to the side to lean my ear closer. “I thought you wanted to try possessing a pet again. Since you failed the last time.” He says before taking a sip on his coffee.

“I know but. . . what do I do, they’re all so squishy and fluffy and I can’t.”

I see him tap his fingers on his lap like he was thinking. “You know I’m not forcing you to prevent furry animals in your house. I can just stop coming.” He tells. “Would you stop coming?” I ask back. It was silent for a while as he looks down to his mug. “I am yet to sort it out in my mind.” He answers. I roll my eyes and scoff.

“How about sort your feelings out.” I muffle under my breath while twirling my finger on my hair. “Pardon me?” He asks and I fake a laugh. “Ahh~ nothing.” I said and just looked around. I am trying to find the chance to tell him about the date. “By the way, I brought a basket of apples. Just a small one since I passed by a fruit stall on my way here and thought I could buy you some. I already put it in your counter when you went to the restroom earlier.” He speaks cutting the awkwardness off.

“Huh? Apples?” I said before breaking into a loud laughter. He just watches me in silence making me stop right away while pursing my lips together. “Thanks. . .” I murmur and rub the back of my neck. I need to tell him now but I’m nervous. I want to know how he would react but at the same time, I am scared to see.

What if it doesn’t affect him?

What if it’s alright with him?

My mind was full of what if’s right now but I need to do this.

It is now or never.

“Actually, Kyungsoo. . . I have something to tell you.” I start and my chest was pounding within seconds. He puts his mug down and faces me, just like my position as of the moment. “What is it?” He asks. He’s drowning me again with that look. He really looks in the eyes when communicating and it always makes me lose my breath.

I gulp in the lump that’s been growing in my throat.

You can do this, Iseul.

“We’re friends right?” I ask to which he responded with a nod right away. He didn’t do something bad but I felt a slight stab when he did that. “You know. . . just this morning when I was out, a. . . a guy friend uhm. . . kind of asked me out.” I said. His face stayed the same but he nodded signaling me to go on. I my dry lips as I calm myself down.

“So uh. . . we’re going out to watch a movie. Tomorrow afternoon. It’s like a. . . date.” I said and observed his expression. He turns to the low table across us, his eyes darted down his mug of coffee. “I-it’s alright with you?” I ask while peeking at his face. He grabs his mug again and took a sip before looking at me again. “Yes, of course. Which movie are you going to watch? Is there a new one?” He asks calmly and my heart sank.

I clear my throat. I want to cry. I feel like crying.

I can’t cry. He’s there.

I exhaled deeply before smiling. “U-uhm. . .”I look away while having my fakest smile, also faking my thinking expression. “Maybe. . . W-whatever movie, maybe the new ones there. A-as long as we w-watch it together right? He’s. . . he’s a nice guy. A-and. . . a fun one.” My voice came out shaky and so I stand up quickly. I can’t stand to be near him right now for more than a minute.

“Anyway~ I need to have my beauty sleep for tomorrow. I’m p-pretty excited. Sorry, could you go home now?” I ask. He stands up still carrying the mug. He gave me a curt nod but before that, he suddenly gulped in the coffee. “Hey, it’s hot.” I wanted to push his hand down but then I couldn’t seem to touch him.

I am about to cry and if I feel him, I would surely do.

He surprisingly managed to finish the hot coffee with multiple but big sips. He lets out that deep breath when he finished before putting it down. “Thanks for the coffee. I don’t want to be disrespectful and leave it full.” He said. His lips were very red, maybe because of the coffee. “Y-yeah, sure.” I said and looked away. “Bye. I hope you enjoy your date.” He tells before turning around to walk. My lips began quivering as I watch his back figure walk to the door.

But before stepping out, he turns around again making me hold my tears back again.

I fake a smile and waved a hand.

“By the way. . .” He speaks. He glances at my kitchen before turning to me again. “Apples are part of the Rose family so I assumed right away it would give the same effect with the flower but it turns out to be different. I learned new information tonight. Thank you.” He tells before completely going out and close the door.

I collapse down the couch and finally let my tears crawl down my cheeks.

I don’t know how to feel right now.

And he just made it worse.

How I wish I could read minds and know his.

 

_ _ _

 

“Seriously, he didn’t react?”

Letting out a blowfish, I lazily straighten my hair out with a flat iron. Soomi, Hana and even her young brother, Joon, is inside my room right now waiting for me to get finished. Even if the test was technically failed, Hana gave her brother a few bucks and so might as well watch a movie with him for real. It’s not a bad thing too, I mean he’s just a kid. “Not that he didn’t react, it was just. . . fine with him.” I answer, trying to sound unaffected. I have cried my lungs out earlier, I can’t bare to cry again today.

I don’t want to cry because of him anymore.

It’s confirmed that I should stop liking him pretty soon.

His social skills have improved a lot since we became friends and if you’d think about it, he technically used me to do this. And I think his capability was only until friendship.

Painful reality that I would have to accept from now on.

“It’s alright, Noona. We will enjoy Deadpool.” Joon speaks but his eyes were focused to his phone, playing games. “Shut up . If I didn’t pay you, we wouldn’t have continue this.” Hana said and rolled her eyes. “Yah, Noona. I also need a guardian to watch Deadpool, alright. It’s R-16 so I really need Noona. This is my chance. Don’t tell Eomma, alright?” Joon argues. I just force a smile as I look at them.

“Yah, not because you have a guardian you will be let in. We’ll watch Zootopia.” I said earning a sullen look from the boy. “Oh man! That’s so childish. . .” He groans and frowns hard. Soomi and Hana looks at me with their sympathetic smiles. “Are you really alright?” Soomi asks in concern. I gave them a light nod and smile before finishing off with my hair.

I want to at least relax my mind from all the crying I had last night so watching a movie today—at the same time babysitting this baby giant—is not a bad thing.

 

_ _ _

“Noona, I swear I don’t have a girlfriend!” Joon whines as I tackle him on the neck while walking to the theatres. How I wish I have a brother like him but at the same time, no thanks he’s too naughty. “No, really I won’t tell your sister.” I continue teasing the boy who already had a sulky expression.

“Ahh, Noona stop.”

“Alright alright, you’re getting secretive huh? I still remember we used to kiss you on the lips when you were just five. Do you know that I am one of your first kisses?” I ask and laugh. “And now you won’t even tell Noona your secret girlfriend?” I add and poke his sides. He already starts laughing as we make our way to the ticket section.

Although I seem playful right now. . .

Believe me, I’m just distracting myself.

Distracting myself from the thoughts of Kyungsoo.

He hasn’t even texted me once for this whole day.

“Noona, we still have fifteen minutes ‘til the movie starts.” Joon interrupts my thoughts. I realized we’re already there in front of the ticket section and so I bought two tickets for the cartoon movie right away. “I really want Deadpool. Why do they still need to rate it anyway. As if youngsters nowadays are still pure? Like duh.” Joon murmurs as he glares at the Zootopia tickers. I tapped him on the cheek. “Wait for it online.” I say and ruffle his hair.

“Noona, let’s sit first. I’m tired of walking.” Joon grabbed me by the wrist and drags me towards the waiting couches. Aigoo, such a tall kid. How can they get so tall like this at such young age? If I didn’t know him, I would really think he’s a grown man. So we sit down beside each other and I playfully lean my head on his shoulder. “Let’s make others think we’re a couple, kiddo.” I said and even locked our arms together.

“Ugh, I’m sure they will feel sorry for me, Noona.” Joon answers back making me lift my head to shoot him some dagger glare. “Kidding~ how about let I palm-read you?” He asks and shifts his body sideways and grabs my hand. “Oh really huh? Alright, you read my palm.” I said mockingly and let him do it. He was looking intently down my palm and I just snort. “Oh I read something, Noona.” He looks at me with an amazed face. “Oh really now? What is it?” I ask.

“You just got dumped.” He said and I frown hard and smack him on the head. “You seriously need to stop bullying me already. Okay? Or I won’t treat you for lunch later after the movie.” I scold and he just scratches his head while pouting. “Even if I do aegyo?~” He asks and put his knuckles up to his cheeks and leans closely and playfully trying to give his cutest expression. I just laugh while trying to push him off. “Yah~ you think you’re cute huh?” I ask while laughing.

Our fun noona-dongsaeng time was shortly interrupted when someone sat beside us. Joon automatically stops out of embarrassment and I turn to my left to see the least person I would want to see right now – Do Kyungsoo. Apparently, I am at the middle right now, in between him and Joon. “W-what are you doing here??” I ask, my eyes dart down to him. He was wearing his usual working suit but what I noticed the most was that he was wearing his surgical gloves.

“D-did you come from work?” I ask. He turns to me and nods. “W-why are you. . . the gloves?” I ask. His eyes shoot down to his hands and suddenly sits up straight removing them quickly. He hides it behind him and looks away. “E-excuse me? What is happening here?” Joon speaks making both of us turn. “Ah. . . Joon, this is Do Kyungsoo.” I said and eyed him knowingly. “Oh. . . Is that so, Iseul-ah.” Joon suddenly speaks in a very charismatic way and I secretly eye him again.

Aigoo, this kid.

I then turn back to Kyungsoo again. “How did you know I was here?” I ask. “This is your preferred theatre place and so I assumed.” He answers and clears his throat. “Alright. . . then why are you here?” I ask with my firm tone. “Dude? Actually, we’re on a date so could you please make this fast, if that’s okay?” Joon speaks and I sneakily bump our knees together. “Lend me at least five minutes. I just wanted to state something.” Kyungsoo speaks.

“Alright, five minutes.” I mutter and eyed Joon again to signal him to shut up. “Alright, start.” I said and turn to Kyungsoo once again. He was looking straight ahead and I could see his Adam’s apple bobbing up and down. “For the past few months, I think my Serotonin and Oxytocin levels have been boosting up excessively causing me to feel different and my heart rate has been abnormal. I don’t feel normal anymore. At first I thought I had alien parasites in my body especially in my stomach these past few weeks but that seemed too far-fetched. . . And last night, I felt the worse kind of symptom, I felt nauseous and sick and I couldn’t sleep at all.  So I wanted to inform you. . .” He tells.

I furrow my eyebrows as I hear it.

“Oh my god. A-are you alright? Are you sick?” I ask in worry. I hear Joon stifle a laugh and so I gave him a brief glare. “I’m not finished.” He turns to me while breathing heavily. “Oh—sorry. Go on.” I murmur and bit my lower lip. He glances at his watch before speaking again. “And so I wanted to inform you that. . . I need to cure this immediately. So. . . I want to alter our paradigm of relationship as of the moment and ask if I may officially eliminate your label as not my girlfriend.” He tells.

My mouth was left hung open as I stare at him.

Oh my god, is he. . . OH MY GOD

My lips were threatening to curve up already but I suppress it. “Alright.” I murmur and he gives a curt nod. “Three minutes left. D-do you have something to say?” He asks but still, his face was facing straight. “Yes, I have a request.” I murmur and I felt a nudge from Joon but I ignore him. I could already imagine him having a teasing smile. “Alright, share it.” Kyungsoo mumbles. “Could you ask it without your Mr. Smarty Cover-up?” I ask and I see his I’m-so-done look and rolls his eyes.

“I can’t. It’s difficult.” He answers. “Alright then. I’m easy to talk to.” I answer and turn to Joon. He had a smile on and he wiggled his eyebrows. “Do you wanna buy popcorn or we just cuddle while watching?” I ask and tapped his cheeks while winking. “Fine fine fine.” I suddenly hear Kyungsoo’s groan and sulky voice making me turn back to him again. His eyes finally search mine and he sighed. “Alright, shoot it.” I said while clasping my hands together.

“Han Iseul.” He starts and looks straight again while holding onto his kneecaps. “Will you be my girlfriend.” He muffles with his mouth barely moving. “First, you should look at me and second, you should make it clear.” I order and I hear his groan again. His ears were so red already and it was so cute.

I myself could feel my chest pounding already because of so much happiness.

He finally shifts his body sideways completely facing me. Our eyes met and I see him gulp. “Iseul, will you be my girlfriend?” He asks. “Yes.” I answer and he quickly looks away and did that loud blowfish while hitting his own chest with his knuckles.”I knew it. It’s not alien parasites. I knew it, this is your fault.” He said and sighed in relief.

I couldn’t help but laugh in delight when he looked damn relieved like he was alive again.  “Are you freaking serious?” I ask in between chuckles.

He looks at me and gave me a nod. “I’ll let you get back to your date. Thank you for the time, uh. . . girlfriend.” He tells and stands up. I look at him in disbelief when he just briskly walked away like nothing happened at all. “Wow. Hana Noona was not lying at all. That guy is weird.” Joon speaks and I laugh. “It seems like I didn’t get dumped, Mister.” I said and chuckle. “Well what are you doing here? We still have ten minutes before the movie, chase him.” Joon said. “Huh? B-but. . . why?” I ask. “Wow, Noona, you’re weird too. You need to say you like him back.” Joon says.

“Huh? But he didn’t say he likes me.” I answer. The kid rolls his eyes before turning to me again. “I am still an active student unlike you, oldie. Let me explain briefly. Serotonin is the feel-good hormone and Oxytocin is also known as the love-hormone and he just said it’s been boosted up. Meaning? Hm hm hm~” He explains and my heart skipped a beat. “So now, go tell him Noona, I’ll wait here. If you don’t come back I’ll watch alone, you give me my ticket.” Joon said and snatched the tickets from me.

I stand up and did an excited hop. “Go get him Noona~ And watch Deadpool together!~” Joon chants teasingly. I gave him a light kick on the leg before running away to where Kyungsoo left off. I’ve officially fallen in love with this amazing weirdo who makes things so complicated.

He had just boosted my. . . whatever hormones up so much.

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Sorry it's a pretty long chapter, Kyungsoo took too much time. ROFL DISH ISH LOYK DUH CUTESHT THEEENG EVUUUUUR. I am literally mouthing them words like this, oh my god do I have alien parasites too...