What IS Air

Mind Over Matter

 

“What else do you think I should put away?”

Holding onto the door of my fridge, I turn halfway to glance at my boyfriend. He was sitting on the chair by my kitchen work space while reading the newspaper that I regularly receive but never read. He twirls the chair from side to side as he puts away the newspaper from his face.

My goodness, why is he so kid-like today.

Is it because it’s Saturday and there’s no work for him?

Wait, that is so unrelated.

“The sodas.” He answers. I’m actually starting to put away some unnecessary snacks inside my fridge. “There’s no sodas here, see?” I open the fridge wider to show him. He just looks at me with that accusing face making me stomp my feet. “There is no soda here.” I repeated myself. He jumps off the chair and walked to my pantry. I try to block it but then he already opened it, revealing the cans of sodas I just bought.

I gulp in embarrassment.

Why does he have such keen eyes?

This is so unfair.

“Sometimes, I like it better back when our sense of privacy was still important and you won’t ever have the guts to open my pantry.” I grunt and with his blank expression, he stuck his tongue out before closing the pantry again. He walks back to his chair and sat down. “You were asking me, I just answered.” He said and continued reading.

I tiptoed to the kitchen counter right across him and leaned half of my body there.
“Kyungsoo?~”I singsong in a very cute manner and I see his eyes moving up to meet mine but his position remained like that. “I’m not going to take it back.” He answers and my shoulders fell again. “Ugh! You don’t appreciate sodas at all.” I groan while pulling my own hair in frustration.

He didn’t budge and just went on to reading.

I tapped my fingers on the counter and in a few moments, he looks again. “No, I am not going to drink soda.” He said and I jump in so much frustration when he read my mind again. “Geez, alright!” I gave up and just went to the dining table and sat down. I shot a glare at his direction and although he was facing the newspaper, I see his eyes looking back to the left, to my direction as well.

I am not even kidding you; he hasn’t drunk soda his whole life.

He was so young when he found out that it wasn’t really healthy.

And he thinks the contents of it are plain stupid. He calls it water with sugar.

I lean my head down the table, in sideways as I continue looking at him. “Kyungsoo-yah. . .” I call. He puts the newspaper down again and twirled the chair to face me. “I’m so bored I think I’m going to die soon.” I murmur with a pout. He jumps off the chair and walks to me which made me shoot up straight again. I grin while looking up to him and he’s looking down to me.

He reaches for his car keys on the table. “Where do you want to go?” he asks and I stand up excitedly. “No no no, no cars. Let’s walk outside and hold hands.” I said and grinned. He looked at me closely and lets out a skeptical look. “The news broadcasted that a storm is expected to arrive in a few hours.” He tells and glances at his watch.

“Huh? Really? Omo, then go home now.” I said and began pushing me to walk. “I am not saying no to that then. I just thought you might want me here because you have mentioned your fear of storms.” He speaks casually and indeed began walking to the door until realization hit me. “Ahh, you’re right!” I yelp in shock and chased him. My arms unknowingly wrapped around his waist from behind.

We were both left frozen on our spots.

My jaw dropped as I realize what I am doing.

It’s weird, we’ve been a couple for a while now and a backhug is such a big deal for us already. I feel his hands slowly touching mine and he removes my arms from his waist. He turns around and I see his flustered look. “So do I stay or not?” He asks, his voice was soft enough to pierce through my chest and make it pound. I glance at my window and realized it’s pretty dark already when it’s barely five in the afternoon.

I look back to him again and gulped.

Our bodies are so close right now.

I can take this chance to get his first kiss.

Ugh, but nah. I sound creepy, whatever.

“Well. . .” I rub the back of my neck as I try to find the right words to say. “Maybe at least until the heavy ra—“ My words were interrupted by a loud thunder sound. “Ahh!” I screech in fear and hold onto Kyungsoo’s shoulders. We both turned to the window and it’s starting to get windy outside. What I hate the most about stuffs like this is when the wind has a sound, you know that sound? That spooky high pitch sound it creates when it’s very serious and my windows start cracking along it.  

I had that kind of fear.

Usually when it’s like that, I’d call Soomi and Hana over. Or in the past, my ex-boyfriend.

But now that I have Kyungsoo. . .

“Spooky spooky spooky spooky.” I began muttering it over and over again and hid my head on his chest. “Okay.” Kyungsoo hushes and began walking forward ignoring my tight grip on his shoulders, so technically, that made me step backwards. We arrive at the couch and I feel his hands gently tapping the sides of my head. Again, there was a thunder. I cringe and covered my ears. Since I have let go of him, Kyungsoo shifts to walk but then I screech again.

“No no, stay here.” I murmur. So we stood so close in front of each other and he just looks down directly to me, he didn’t even bother looking at different directions. It was like he was simply waiting for me to calm down. Within a few minutes later, we could already hear the heavy pour of rain. “Do you know. . .” Kyungsoo speaks making me look up to him. “That humans who have Oxytocin running through their veins are around eighty percent more generous?” He finishes.

I blink.

Why the hell is he saying a random fact.

“What does it have something to do with the sto—“ My eyes dart down his hand which got into his pocket. He took out something, it was a bar of—“Snickers!” I exclaim and quickly snatch it from him. Oh my god, I have been avoiding eating too much sweet. Why the hell did he bring this and now I can’t help myself. I look at him and he just rolled his eyes while putting on a smug smile. “Is this mine?” I ask.

“Your pattern of possession is out of place. Before seizing, inquiry of ownership must come first. You seized it like a hungry lion and now you are asking me like a pitiful bunny. What a ludicrous creature.” He said before flopping down my couch. “Yah~ That’s rude.” I sit down beside him and began opening the packaging of Snickers with my very excited state. “Muggle.” He says and folds his arm. “Yah.” I hit his arm lightly while taking a bite.

“I know what muggle is now. I searched it up and it’s like. . . an incapable person.” I tell and gave out a glare. “Silencio.” He puts his index finger up, made a circular motion and suddenly points it to me making me flinch in confusion. “What the hell was that?” I ask in between chews of this gooey heaven I have in my hands right now. “It seems like I have succeeded.” He tells making me tilt my head. “Of what?” I ask and took another bite. “You forgot about the storm. I have diverted your attention to something else. Since eating is so significant to you, your attention diverts really well to it.” He explains.

“That eating is so significant to you is surprisingly offending, Mr. Smarty pants.” I said and again, took another big bite of heaven while glaring at my boyfriend. “You get offended by everything. You’re a girl. That’s your nature, so I don’t have a say on that.” He tells and looks straight ahead. “Uh-huh? Now I am more offended.” I scoff. “Oh by the way, I can make you laugh.” I said excitedly while finishing off a few more bites of the gooey chocolate. I eat them real fast cause, well, they’re heaven.

“You speak like I am not a human who can laugh.” He tells. “When was the last time you laughed?” I ask back proudly. “I was at home so you couldn’t see. I was reminded of that time when you almost fell of the bike when we were out in Han River to cycle. I laughed and it lasted for ten seconds, I counted it.” He answers. “Okay so you’re saying you laugh alone? That’s spooky.” I said and mockingly looked at him.

“What’s spooky is when you laugh at everything even when it’s not funny. It’s not only spooky, it’s insane.” He tells. “I don’t laugh at everything!” I defend. “I believe I did not mention any names but thank you for taking the honors.” He tells with his winning face while nodding. I gave him a glare but he wasn’t faltered and instead, looked back still with that mocking smile.

And out of nowhere,

Without any warning,

As if we shared one mind,

Our lips met.

It was a gentle lip-lock but it stayed for a few seconds. We then slowly pull away and I open my eyes to meet with his. “T-that was. . . nice.” I muffle. I did not expect that at all. I have been planning for the perfect, most romantic chance to do it. I did not expect that the urge from both of us would come out of nothing, without any significant moment.

It was just the two of us, chatting about random things.

But somehow, it felt all right.

He turns his head away but he had that calm smile on as he folds his arms. “You are making me more and more generous each day and I’m not used to it.” He speaks, his legs were casually swinging back and forth like a kid. The fact from earlier, Generous. . . Oxytocin—is he saying I love you right now? No, wait I don’t want to assume things. Let it move nice and slow. My heart’s pounding so fast, his lips linger on mine, still. I don’t know if it was the Snickers or his lips that tasted sweet on my lips.

All I know is that, my lips are all sweet right now.

“Kyungsoo.” I call and he turns to me. “C-can I. . . can I kiss you again?” I ask hesitantly. “No.” He answers and stands up. I frown and look up to him. “Why not?” I whine as I take the very last bite of the chocolate before crumpling it’s packaging into my hands. “I have no apparent reason.” He answers and walks to the window. He was checking the condition of weather.

“But you’re going to be here ‘til the rain stops. . . what are we going to do?” I ask with a pout. He turns around to look at me and scoffs. “You mean you want to kiss the whole time there is rain? That is a very bizarre thing. I laugh.” He tells. “What laugh, you didn’t laugh.” I snort. “Haha.” He gave me the shortest possible laugh but it wasn’t sarcastic, he literally laughed for that long only before turning to the window again.

When can we be a very intimate couple?

I mean. . . like. . . touches, cuddles, kisses will be very normal to do, however and whenever we like it?

And one more thing, that was his first kiss. He didn’t even give me the reaction I was expecting. Like. . . I don’t know. He just smiled. I couldn’t even tell if he liked it or not. “Kyungsoo, I am mad.” I speak making him turn. “For the reason?” He asks. “You come back here and I have an agreement to make.” I said and without further ado, he walks back to the couch and sat beside me.

“I know you make everything nicely, surely done. Everything has a pattern, schedule or whatsoever. But I am telling you, being a boyfriend doesn’t need all that.” I said. “Is that an agreement?” He asks. “I am not yet finished. Shut the hell up or I will feed you my sweater’s fur.” I warn and he purse his lips tight again. “I propose that we will kiss or cuddle whenever I like.” I said. “Counter-proposal. We will not kiss or cuddle whenever I don’t like.” He tells lifting his index finger up. “Counter-proposal, we will kiss everytime we first see each other and then we kiss at the end of the day before parting.” I try again.

He tilts his head while thinking. “I ruffle your hair whenever I first see you on days and then we share a high five.” He tries out as well. “Ruffle my hair, high five and then we kiss.” I add. “I pat your hair, and the—“HAA SHUT UP!” I cut him off with my frustrated voice.

“Deal. I shut up whenever we meet. Iseul, are you sure? Relationships don’t mean anything without communication. Are yo—“ RIGHT NOW! I mean shut the hell up right now!” I exclaim. He heaved a sigh but he didn’t answer back anymore and just looked at me. I know it’s not that he doesn’t want to kiss me, it’s just his nature and personality to be uncomfortable to any human contact. But having this eye-contact with him right now, I could see how much feelings he has for me.

And only I could see that.

But I still want him to learn.

“Just one peck everyday.” I try again. “On the cheek. Deal.” He said. “On the lips.” I say while shaking my head. “On the forehead.” He counterattacks. “On the cheek near my lips.” I fight back. “On your eyelids.” He says. “On the nose.” I said and I start to get frustrated again. “That is gross. On the hair.” He tries again. “On the neck.” I murmur and he had his I’m-so-done expression on. “Why do you hate me so much.” He asks, he shoulders falling.

“I was kidding on the neck. Just—aish. . . I was jus—“ My words were interrupted when he suddenly grabs both of my wrists and pulled me to his body. He hugged me. My eyes bulge out as my face lands on his chest. “Uhm. . . w-what is happening?” I ask. “This, you don’t prefer this?” He asks. “Kyungsoo, it’s not an awful thing to do but you might suffocate and eventually kill your girlfriend.” I muffle on his chest and he quickly pulls away. He leaned more on the couch and looked in space.

He looks like he’s having a hard time.

I never thought someone could have feelings for a person but is uncomfortable to touch them.

Or rather, he simply doesn’t know.

So I move closer to him. I grab his arm and put it over my shoulders. He turns to me in his flustered face. “This is a fine cuddle without crashing your girlfriend.” I said softly and smiled. I move much closer until I could feel his body’s warmth against mine. “Do you feel uncomfortable?” I ask, our faces inches apart when I looked up to him. “A little.” He answers. “Do you want to let go?” I ask. He shakes his head. “See? It’s just your mind. But you want to.” I said and leaned my head on his left shoulder near his chest and placed an arm over his waist.

The perfect couch-cuddle position.

I like this cuddle so much, especially during rainy times like right now.

“How do you feel?” I ask, smiling as I enjoy his touch. “Warm. . .” He muffles, his voice was deep and soft. “I know.” I giggle softly and close my eyes so that I could linger, spoil myself into his warm and relaxing feel.

Slowly, I found myself drifting off to dreamland.

 

I sit up, eyes slowly opening. I’m on the couch. Oh my god, was that a dream? ! I turn to the window and it was moist. It rained for real? I look around, I was alone. I threw my legs down to stand up until I realize I had a blanket on. “Wait, I really slept here?’ I ask myself. I glance at my wall clock and realized it’s already midnight. I must be sleeping for so long already.

And apparently, dreaming about my boyfriend. I remove the blanket from my body and stood up. I placed down the blanket back to the couch and that’s when my eyes landed on a plastic wrapper – Snickers. “O. . . M. . . GEE!!!” I scream as I pick it up. “It’s real it’s real it’s real!!! It’s real!!!” I start jumping like a madman. I slapped my own face trying to wake myself up. “Ouch. . . I’m awake! I’m awake!” I squeal and collapsed back down the couch and started kicking in the air.

I can die happy now.

They were all real. The kiss. . . the cuddle. . . the warmth.

I sit up again while biting on my knuckles because I was grinning too widely already. I look insane, my hair was still all messy and I even have a drool. “W-we kissed. Oh my god!!!!” I squeal again. Sorry to my neighbors, I know it’s midnight but I just can’t control it. I look around, while fanning myself up. But then, my hand stopped from moving when my eyes landed on my kitchen counter. There was a can of soda there. I stand up and rushed to it with my twitching eyes. As soon as I arrived there, I lift it up. It was ing opened and empty.

My eyes bulged out, my lips curving up even more.

“AHHHHHH!!!! He drank soda! Oh My god! What is air what is air??~”

He is so gonna get it once we meet again.