Points and Rabbits

Mind Over Matter

 

Side by side, we walk out of the restaurant. The food was nice and all but somehow, I didn’t get to enjoy it much because of how uncomfortable our topics were. In general, Do Kyungsoo is a turn off but somehow he has this unexplainable charm. “Hello.” He mutters all of sudden interrupting me from my thoughts. “Ha?” I ask while clutching both of my hands on my purse. “You are kind of absorbed by some other thought aside from my presence. Are you alright?” He asks. “Uh—yes, I am. I’m sorry.” I fake a chuckle while tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.

“So. . . it was a lovely dinner. Thank you Kyungsoo ssi.” I smile as I stop walking to face him completely. “Does that mean I may fully address our starting relationship as friendship?” He asks with his hands behind him. He looked very formal. “Well. . .”I scratch my hair as I try to find the nicest words to reject him. “What is friendship to you by the way?” I ask first. I want to be careful, he might be a ert in disguise, right? “Friendship between a male and female is a bit more of a serious topic than with those of the same gender. Perhaps. . . being engaged into conversations in a daily basis be it personal or not.” He answers.

Oh good Lord, daily basis?

Does he want to kill me?

“D-daily basis? We need to. . . we need to go out on dates every day?” I ask with my eyes a bit dilated to show him I am somewhat surprised. “I did not mean it like that. Since you have given me your phone number and address, we can communicate through those.” He answers and my jaw dropped. SHIN HANA, she gave him my full information?? I am so fuming with anger right now. “Y-you. . . would go to my house? That is a bit, well. . . that is a big step, you know.” I said, my throat is drying.

A guy visiting me in my house.

The last time I had a guy in my house. . . we didn’t just do talking.

You know what I mean.

And that was Kim Jongin who was my boyfriend at those times.

“Why?” He asks. “It’s a. . . kind of embarrassing, perhaps? I mean that’s my house.” I said and chuckle but it suddenly came out rather airy. He is still a man you know. With the thought of a man going to my house is a big thing, especially for my age. “Are you perhaps a very untidy person?” He asks. “No, it isn’t like that. Uhm. . . how do you explain this. . . I just can’t expl—“If you are worrying about physical contacts such as ual , I can assure you that they’re, off the table, not going to happen.” He cuts me off and my lips went dry at his casual mention of that thingy.

Damn, this guy needs to chill.

He gives me chills.

Damn, I want burger.

I felt a lump on my throat which I tried to clear out through coughing. “Are you alright?” He asks in concern but he was still standing barely a meter from me. “Didn’t you even have a single uncertainty to say that to my face?” I manage to say while chuckling a bit more comfortably this time. “I don’t think we still need to possess such juvenile conventions of pure and childish topics. We are old enough.” He explains. I understand his point but still! Oh my god. “So~ you just text me, maybe. . . since I don’t have your number yet or you want to give it to me?” I change the topic now.

“I will send you a message later when I get home. I shall introduce myself so you don’t have to worry.” He answers. “Alright. Then. . . friends?” I spread my arms wide for a friendly hug. He stared at them for a little while before stepping forward but then he only grabbed my right hand instead and shook it. “Friends.” He answers with a nod before letting go of my hand making it last for only about three seconds.

Wow.

His hand is so soft.

I can touch it longer by three seconds, it makes you feel secure.

But I will still fight on the fact that he is a turn off if he is trying to compete for The Prince Charming contest which, apparently, is non-existent.

On the contrary, he seems to be a nice man. He just needs to learn how to balance himself out. He is too smart for his own good.

 

_ _ _

 

“It’s not funny you guys!”

Glaring at my two best friends who were laughing their asses off at the moment, I dunk my hand on the bowl of popcorn that we’re sharing. “Comparing you to a jellyfish and sharing tons of unnecessary information is funny!” Soomi exclaims and did a high-five with Hana. “You got some walking encyclopedia as a boyfriend~” Hana jokes. “Excuse me, we have agreed last night that we should stay friends first. He is not my boyfriend.” I rebut.

“Yet!~” Soomi and Hana chant in unison. “But admit it, you’ve been worrying about the next man you’re going to date to judge your body. He didn’t.” Soomi turns a bit calm and said. “He didn’t but he pointed out my wrinkles.” I answer and roll my eyes. “In my opinion, he gave you such a good advice. He wants you to take care of yourself.” Hana argues.

I know that.

Depressing myself over that break up, drowning myself with food and add the fact that I make pastries for a living doesn’t help.

It made me feel worse about myself.

"Could you call him? We want to hear his voice!~” Soomi tugs on my arm. “What? I don’t want to, he might be busy. It’s weekdays.” I whine while trying to get them off. “Just a few! Quick, call him!” Hana suddenly snatches my phone. “What—Yah! Give me that!” I try to pry on them but they were two, I am one.

Eventually, they won.

“It’s ringing~” Soomi singsong and I covered my face with both of my hands. “Hello?” After a few rings, I hear that familiar voice making me look up again. I unknowingly moved on the couch closer to my friends. Hana slapped me on the arm signaling me to talk. “Ah—Hey, did I disturb you? You doin’ something?” I ask and hit her back while trying to sound alright.

Friends, they are brutal a lot of times.

“In fact, yes I am doing something at the moment but I don’t want to say you disturbed me. I rather let you know it yourself.” He answers and I close my eyes tightly seeing my best friends’ shocked face at Kyungsoo’s straightforwardness. I warned them, you know. “Uh. . . Sorry. What are you doing by the way? Class?” I ask. “I have no classes at the moment. I am currently studying the baseline fear levels on a rabbit in response to its visual stimuli.” He explains and I see Soomi and Hana having their jaw drops. I have the same expression last night. This man can really surprise people.

“Oh really? I like rabbits.” I chant and let out a cute giggle. I see my friends giving me that teasing look and I just glared back having my mocking expression. “I suppose you do. You seem to be interested in such things.” He answers. “You’re pretty good by the fact that you can still mock me while doing your research huh?~ You must be used to multi-tasking.” I joke.

In all honesty, with his bizarre and over-intelligence, it makes me feel comfortable with him.

It’s because we’re so far from each other that we don’t need to clash nor compete. You know what I mean?

“As a matter of fact, I’m just waiting for you to say what you needed to say which is the reason why you called. Could you tell me now before this rabbit goes berserk?” He asks which made me flinch. I felt guilt all of a sudden. “Oh. . . Uh—I’m so sorry. I shouldn’t have called.” I said and glared at my friends who were all giggling without any sound. I then continued. “Kyungsoo, I’m really sorry. You should continue now. I don’t really have something important to say, I was just. . . bored.” I said and bit my lower lip.

Aigoo, Soomi and Hana look at what you did.

“Alright.” He answers casually. “Oh, and Iseul.” He calls. It was the first time he actually called me by the name so I was a bit taken aback. “Yes?” I ask. Hana and Soomi are now wrestling trying to calm themselves up, they look like fan girls right now. “I only have one class later at three in the afternoon but it’s a three-hour period so I’m free by six.” He tells. I was open-mouthed for a while as I try to process what he was trying to say.

Is he asking me out again?

“Oh, really? Uhm. . .” I didn’t know but I couldn’t hold on my smile. Maybe because my friends are present right now and it makes me shy to be talking to a man while they’re hearing it. “Are you asking me out again?” I ask and nibble on my lower lip. “No. I just want to inform you so that you won’t expect I would answer back if ever you send me a message. . . or call me like right now.” He answers and my shoulders fell out of embarrassment. Soomi and Hana already fell from the couch and were laughing hysterically – still soundless. “Ah, yes of course.” I answer, my voice got a bit high-pitched because I was so mortified that I assumed things too quickly.

“Alright.” He said. “Yes. . . bye.” I muffle. I was about to hung it up when I heard his voice again. “On the second thought, perhaps asking you out isn’t a bad idea too. Do you want to go out for dinner?” He asks. Soomi and Hana’s heads shot up again with their forming grins after hearing it.

I kicked them off.

They are so annoying right now that it heats up my face.

“Well. . . actually I need to deliver an order of pastries in a café later at six so maybe after six?” I ask. “Alright, after six it is.” He answers. “So. . . where do we go?” I ask while blinking. “After having a chance to see you eat in a restaurant, I suggest that you are not used to it. It was obvious by the way you hold the utility knife. So perhaps, in a more casual place.” He explains and again, my friends were laughing quietly. “Oh. . . you even noticed that.” I muffle in embarrassment.

“Yes. . . but you liked the music therefore it means you would like a place where you can relax at while eating the food that you like.” He explains. I’m impressed, he was on point. I like eating at home more while listening to my favorite songs.

Wait. . . just by thinking of it, I don’t think inviting him here isn’t such a bad idea.

I can cook for him, right? It’s a good step on improving our friendship.

“Which leads me to the thought of. . . you coming over here and I cook something for you?” I ask. Soomi and Hana had their eyes bulged out in shock. It’s not that I am making the first move but. . . alright, I am indeed making the first move. But it’s a friendly first move, alright. Don’t judge. “Well then, I would gladly accept the offer since it’s your personal effort to cook for me.” He tells. “Alright then. So. . . later?” I ask. Oh dear, what do I cook?

“Yes, later.” He tells. “Alright, we should really say goodbye now, huh.” I said and chuckled. “Yes, goodbye. Also to your friends there, goodbye.” He said and we’re all shocked. “Y-you know?” I ask. “Yes. I could hear their mouse-like sniggers. It’s alright. Females are pathologically gossipers. Who am I to judge.” He answers. I see Soomi and Hana biting their lower lips in guilt and embarrassment. “Yeah, sorry about that. Anyway, we really need to say goodbye you know~” I said and laughed.

“Okay. But one last thing. . . “He said and I blink in confusion. “Yes?” I ask. I feel so mortified at the many times I’ve been saying goodbye but still we’re here talking. We are so comfortable already and I don’t even know how and when it all started getting very easy for us to talk. Although he mostly say ‘too intelligent’ stuffs, still, I feel like I don’t care anymore. He’s a nice guy. My thoughts were interrupted short when he continued. “I shall bring the rabbit from my lab later to show you. Since you’ve mentioned your interest on it, just a counter-treat for the dish you’re going to make for me. Goodbye.” He croaks absently.

The call ended.

And my heart melted.

I don’t like him yet but it touches my girly feels that he wants to do such thing for me although he considers it as a counterattack or whatever he just called it. I think that's not the word. Still, it's kind of sweet. 

He seems to be trying his best to be more socializing and friendly although it may still come out rather awkward and overdone.

But I’d still give him some real good points for effort.