Continuity Crap

Mind Over Matter

 

Ugh, my friends came over to my house. Just when I’ve been successful on hiding from them for the past week. Now it leaves me no choice but to admit what I did. “So Iseul, tell us why you keep saying you’re busy whenever we’d want to have a hang out?” Soomi asks. I was currently baking some cupcakes—an order—and I’m on the last batch. Soomi and Hana on the other hand were seated at the high chairs by the kitchen isle. “Yeah, just because you got a man doesn’t mean you won’t have time for us~” Hana teases to which I responded with a snort.

“To break the news to you guys, I didn’t continue on with him.” I answer. “Wait, what??” The two of them exclaim at the same time. I just let out a deep sigh before looking at them. “I rejected him last week. I said we won’t work.” I admit. “But why?” Hana asks like she was the most devastated one. Of course, this was her whole idea in the first place. “Because—” I carry the tray towards the over and open it. “—we won’t.” I finish my sentence as I slam the over close again.

I didn’t want to be in detail anymore.

I am not that ill-mannered to still broadcast Do Kyungsoo’s originality.

It’s him and I don’t have the right to question that.

“For all I felt, he was your biggest shot. You really suit each other. Looking at the two of you alone makes us smile.” Soomi mutter with pout. “You two, seriously. . . you don’t force destiny to come to you. It’ll hunt you unnoticed.” I reassure. “I know but still. . . I actually thought you’ll like him.” Hana said still with that disappointed look. “Nope, I don’t think I would like such a man. I mean. . . not that I’m being negative but he’s too far from my type.” I explain while shaking my head.

“Oh, too bad.” Hana sighs and put a palm over her chin. “Wait—“ She suddenly grabs my phone that was near her. “He texted you.” She tells and my eyes bulge out and I rush to her. “Seriously??” I ask and snatch the phone from her. But when I looked at the screen, there was nothing. Upon realizing what this is all about, I shoot some dagger glares at the two who did a high-five.

“Ooh~ I wonder how far is he from your type?” Soomi chants and laughs with Hana. “It’s not like that. I was just curious. I mean. . . after my rejection, he just left and we didn’t talk since then.” I defended and made a blowfish. “Okay, so you’re actually affected of you rejecting him.” Hana states.

They will never stop, won’t they?

One of the cons of having best friends.

“Of course, he’s still human. What if it offended him?” I said and walked back to the corner of the kitchen where I left the other finished cupcakes to cool up a bit. I start putting their frosting. “Then if you’re worried about that then why don’t you contact him?” Soomi asks. “Why would I do that, I just rejected him and therefore, I should cut the contacts.” I answer back.

“Cut the contacts? Why do you still have his number then?” Hana asks which made me abruptly turn and saw her holding my phone. “Yah—leave my phone alone.” I whine. “You guys, I’m serious. Let’s just stop talking about this okay? There’s so many fishes in the water, why do I need to depend on one?” I ask. “Well if we’re talking fishes, who knows Do Kyungsoo might be like. . . King Triton.” Hana said. “King Triton isn’t a fish. He’s a mer—wait, what the hell are we even talking about?? Guys, let’s stop this.” I exclaim and roll my eyes.

“Alright~” Soomi and Hana uttered lazily in unison. “Where will you deliver this anyway? They’re a lot huh?” Hana asks. “Yeah, A hundred pieces. I’ll deliver it later at the 63 Convention Center. Maybe there’s a seminar there or something.” I answer. “Well, would you go shopping with us after you deliver it then?” Hana asks. They stood up already which made me sigh in relief. No more interviews. “Yeah, sure. Let’s just meet at the usual. Bye~” I turn to them with a smile.

They didn’t bother to give me a B.F.F. hug or kiss anymore since I’m all messy right now.

I just hope they’ll stop talking about him later. I just can’t explain any further than that we won’t work.

I’m just. . . not so sure of the future if ever I did continue on with him. He’s a nice and mature man, that is not a question, but he might be too mature for me. Let’s just say we’re not compatible when it comes to the mind.

It’s just. . . I don’t know, whatever.

 

_ _ _

 

Standing by the entrance of the convention center, I smile awkwardly at some staffs picking up the boxes of cupcakes at the back of my SUV. “Is this all, Miss?” One asks as he carries the last four boxes. “Yes, that’s all. C’mon, I’ll help along inside.” I said. So we all enter and I could already hear some voices through a loud microphone. Good thing, there’s a back entrance so we won’t really be a nuisance to the special event.

I never liked entering such places and make everyone look at you like. . . ‘the hell? Don’t judge, dude! I’m a human who has the right to walk pass you without being scrutinized by your stares!’ like that.  

I really hate the attention.

They brought me to a hall where there’s a few more staffs in there and they were arranging some food. Oh, so it’s like a buffet later one together with my cupcakes? Sounds nice.

“Oh, do you need help or?” I try to go to the staffs who are starting to take out the cupcakes. “No, it’s okay Miss. Please go to the convention’s office department to get the payment. Thank you for your hard work.” A staff said and bowed. “Alright, where’s the office?” I ask and she led me to one corner of the wide hall. “Oh, here. Thanks.” I bow a couple of times before knocking.

“Hello? Dewy Sweets owner here?” I knock a couple of times before actually being noticed. The door opened and it was a female. “Sir, Dewy Sweets. The cupcakes have arrived.” I hear the woman talk as she let me in. I bowed and shyly went in. “Alright, please let her in.” I hear a familiar male voice which made me stop just at the door frame. The female, seemingly the assistant bowed to me one last time before going out.

I turn to my left.

Do Kyungsoo.

O. M. F. G.

He was seated at a wide desk, some apparatus there and a PC. I see another screen and it seems like he was the one managing the big screen and presentations on the event outside. “H-hi.” I mutter and he turns. “Hello.” He stands up and walk to another corner, he grabs a black bag.

“Did you. . . order the cupcakes?” I ask. This is so awkward, I’m still standing here by the door.

“No, the committee did.” He answers without even thinking. He then turns to me while holding his wallet. “I just recommended.” He adds and I pursed my lips together trying to suppress the urge to smile. “Y-you recommended my online shop?” I ask. “Why?” I blinked as he walks to me. “They asked me and I just suggested what I know.” He answers and handed me the payment.

“Did you. . . expect me to deliver it here?” I ask. Instead of answering, he glanced at the desk and just closed his wallet. My eyes moved from left to right awkwardly since I didn’t get any answer. “Thank you for the service.” He said before walking back to the desk. I look down to the money and counted it. “W-wait, it must be the committee who called for order, I actually told them the exact payment online including the delivery. Didn’t they tell you? This is a bit too much.” I say making him turn.

He stands up and walks back to me with his wallet again. He opens it and I see a bit surprise on his face seeing his wallet’s bill pocket completely empty. “You uh. . . you gave me all your bills.” I said as a matter of fact. I held the urge to laugh. Is this man drunk? It’s like he just shoved his hand into the wallet and grabbed everything.

“Please give me back the excess. They didn’t inform me about the amount.” He had his body turned to the left but his hand was out in front of me. “Alright. . . are you okay?” I ask trying to peek at his face. “I am.” He answers. “So is this event lead by your school or what?” I ask while taking out the excess from the bills. “It is lead by the school.” He answers.

“Oh, alright. You mean those people outside are the students—what are you looking at there anyway?” I ask and glanced at the left which is his right. “The screen. I am afraid I will not be able to cue on the next slide of presentation. So if it’s not rude, would you mind making it a bit faster to give it back.” He explains but finally, he turns to face me. His eyes dart down the bills. I just gave a curt nod before looking down again.

I finally handed him the excess money and he gives a quick nod before turning around rushing back to the desk. “Well then. . . thank you for the orders.” I said and look around first. It’s weird that I’m the one thanking him. “You’re welcome. Please, the door’s there. If it’s alright to lead yourself. . .” He politely said pointing at the door with his whole hand. “Y-yes, of course.” I bow again before walking to it and grab the knob.

I turn to him one last time. His eyes were focused on the screen already.

He didn’t even give me a second look.

So I just walk out.

I actually thought of apologizing but he didn’t seem to mind.

Well anyway, we don’t even need a closure. Nothing have started yet so. . .

 

 

_ _ _

 

But I was definitely wrong.

Few days after that unexpected meeting, something amusing happened again. I got an order of a box of sweet tarts, twenty pieces. They were easy to make and so I was able to make it within the afternoon.

The delivery address, Ajou University.

 

And now I am here standing in front of a door with a name plate that says, ‘Dr. Do’ on it. Seriously, what the hell does he really want? Actually, rather than being annoyed, I can’t help but to feel like he wants to tell me something. Ordering only a box of tarts? I mean, he could have just bought in a real shop outside, there’s tones of stores there.

Am I assuming things again or I really hit it this time?

I knock. Within the third, the door opened. “Hi.” I greet and waved a hand while my other held the box of tarts. “Hello.” He opened the door and let me in. He was wearing a white coat, he has gloves on. As I enter, I see a few cages of animals. And the other corner, is a freakin—“Oh my god!” I abruptly turn around to hide when I saw a skeleton model. I didn’t even realize I hid my head on his chest. He quickly back away and walked to that corner.

I slowly turn and saw him pulling the curtains there to cover that side. “I-is that real??” I ask. “No it is not. But if you want the real one, you can go to my other lab—“I’m fine. I’m fine, I don’t want it.” I said and vigorously shook my head “Here’s your tarts, twenty pieces.” I said and forced a chuckle. “Is it for anyone? Or. . . students?” I ask. “No.” He answers while getting some bills on his wallet.

“Oh, okay. . . so do you like tarts?” I ask. That’s when he stops. He placed his hands on the edge of the desk and looked at me seriously which gives me chills. I purse my lips together when he did that. “I-I was just asking.” I murmur and gulp in fear before looking away. “May we be friends again?” he suddenly speaks making me turn once again.

Bull’s eye.

I knew it.

It’s weird that he’s an unpredictable person yet I was able to predict him this time.

“Alright, so it’s not really the tarts?” I ask with a teasing grin. I see him rolling his eyes like he doesn’t like where this is going. He gives me this kind of confidence in myself that I never felt with anyone yet. I couldn’t explain it well but anyway. . . “I will still pay the tarts, don’t react excessively.” He said and walked towards me.

“So you want to be friends again even if I said we won’t work?” I look up to him and did that kiddy tiptoe action like I was shy. “You said it. I didn’t.” He answers before handing me the money. “Woah woah woah~” I put a hand up in defense. “You don’t even know how to flatter a woman with your heart. Why wouldn’t I say it?” I ask, my brows were already meeting.

“I can’t understand why females like preposterous things like that. Flattery words don’t prove anything.” He answers. I try to open my mouth to speak but nothing came out. “What?” He asks. “B-but. . . but still, I—“I am quite fond of you. There, I said it.” He cuts me off. “Woah there?~  That’s all you can say? Quite fond? You had to find a chance to say such thing?” I ask in disbelief.  

He turns to the left pursing his lips together like he was thinking. When he turns back to me, I unknowingly stepped back. “I have never been fond of any female before. Or any human in general.” He said. “Oh-hoh~ I am so flattered then?” I mock while clapping my hands. “I don’t know. But you should be.” He said. “I was trying to be sarcastic.” I scoff.

“Alright.” He backs away and put his hands up in surrender. “I am not forcing. I said what I needed to say. I offered you friendship and you declined. It is not my lost that you declined a superior being.” He said and turns around to walk but then he turns back to me again. “Those are my tarts. Please, the door is there.” He grabs the box of tarts from me and then pointed at the door before walking back to his table.

“S-superior being—wow! You’re not just weird, you’re conceited too!” I said and laughed. “And by the fact that I am being fond of a woman who can’t even appreciate it. I feel less superior now.” He said. “Wah, serious—WOW, you’re unbelievable.” I said, my laugh wouldn’t stop.

“I don’t see anything funny.” He said. “Look at the mirror, you’ll see!~” I said and laughed much harder while hitting my thighs. “I believe you are fond of me too.” He said making me stop from laughing. “Sorry—what?” I ask with a mocking smile. “Your stomach lining is reddening.” He said and I just raise an eyebrow. “Why oh why, Mr. Smarty? Are you a psychic too and saw my intestines?” I ask and laugh again.

“No, look at the mirror and you will see.” He said and sat down. I unknowingly look at my reflection at one cabinet and saw my face very red. “A human’s stomach lining turns red when he or she blushes which is the result of the sympathetic nervous system that increases the blood flow throughout the body. Oh, I wonder why.” He tells and gives me that intimidating look. “I-I am not blushing. I t-turn red when I laugh.” I defend and covered my cheeks with my palms.

He just lets out that smug chuckle and turns to his PC. “If you are really not interested in being related to me in any way, you may leave.” He tells and begins typing. I gulp as I look at him. He might look blank or sound uninterested but everything he just said indeed made my tummy turn.

This decision is a matter of life and death.

Am I ready to risk anything?

I don’t know. . . but I’m going to find out.

I hesitantly walk towards him and by his table, there’s a stool so I sat there. “And if I don’t leave, it means?” I ask making him stop. "Well. . . it means we have mutual interests.” He said. “Alright. But. . . just one last question, I promise I won’t ask anymore.” I said and he nodded letting me continue. “Removing the Mr. Smarty Cover-up of what you said earlier, it means. . . you like me, right?” I ask and gave a light smile. “I believe I have not heard of Mr. Smarty Cover-up before.” He answers. “Ugh, you know what I meant.” I groan and fold my arms. He heaves a sigh before speaking,

“And you know what I meant too.”

 

 

 

A/N: UGH I FEEL MY STOMACH LINING GETTING RED! 

HAHAHAH Nerd alert nerd alert!