Catch The Feeling

Mind Over Matter

 

So what’s the score?

That question replays in my mind over and over again when my friends asked it and it’s only been a second ago. “Hey!” A thud sound woke me up from my trance and I saw Hana and Soomi across me, looking intently while tapping their hands on the table. Today, we’re on our girls’ hang out in our usual café. “What’s the question?” I ask although I heard it. “I asked what’s the score between you two now? It’s been like. . . three months? What now?” Soomi repeats in a clearer way. “Yeah, what’s the deal?” Hana adds.

“We’re still friends.” I answered. “Are you kidding me? Three months is more than enough for him to try going to first base!” Hana exclaims and I kick her under the table while looking around. “What base are you talking about, gosh. . .”I mutter, my lips barely moving. “Han Iseul, you know what I’m talking about. You two are so slow.” She hisses. “Yah, I’m not slow, alright. If I was, I would have never lasted for three months.” I defend.

“Alright, here’s another question and don’t lie to us. . . do you have feelings for him now?” Soomi then asks. I put my hands up in complete surrender right away before opening my mouth. “Yes, I do.” I said and their jaws dropped. “Then what are you doing??” Hana asks with a disbelieving face.

“Why? What am I supposed to do? He’s not doing anything and he’s the man.” I answer back while leaning more on my chair.

“You communicate in a daily basis, text and calls and even see each other as often as possible. Let me ask you instead. . . what the hell is he doing??” Hana asks. “I know, what are you guys always doing?” Soomi adds up.

Gosh, these two are so aggressive.  

I feel like if they were to interrogate Kyungsoo like this, he would run away.

“Well. . . we talk, eat, walk. . . Uhm. . . sometimes, we watch movies then. . . just hang out.” I answer and shrug my shoulders. “If you were to be a real couple you’re the most uninteresting one.” Hana said making me pout. “You just haven’t talked to him. He really is a good talker.” I try to defend. It’s a shocker that I’ve gone used to him and I actually find him very talkative if you’d only show him you’re interested. He’s just shy, maybe. “We don’t care if he’s a good talker. We rather listen if you say he’s a good kisser.” Soomi snorts.

“Stop, you guys. . . I’m sure he’s trying his best. Give him time.” I hiss while messing my hair up. “Did he ever show affection to you then? If he hasn’t, I’ll kill him. For real.” Hana said. She is indeed my most aggressive friend, she’s like part of the WWE. “H-he. . . he opens the car door for me and. . . Oh~ one time when I had a cold, he said he won’t visit for a while so I could rest and he said I should get well because he’s worried.” I answer. My two friends had their most aloof expressions ever.

“As far as I know, common sense is for him to indeed go to you and take care of you.” Soomi said as a matter of fact. It’s so hard to explain to them what kind of person he is but I totally understand his nature now. It still bugs me off sometimes but I am not hella kidding, he doesn’t mean to show dislike or whatsoever.

“But he’s not that kind of doctor.” I answer. They looked at me like what-the--is-up-with-you but I just shrug my shoulders. “Wow. You really DO like him.” Soomi says and folded her arms. I just look down when I felt my lips curving up.

Feelings do work weirdly.

At least I didn’t like him because of words and gestures. I liked him because of how open our relationship is in terms of communication.

I agree to what he told me the first night we met. Communication is indeed intimate beyond others.

“Guys, I know it’s hard to understand but. . . he’s a good person. He might be quirky sometimes—“Sometimes?” Hana asked. I groan and scratch my hair. “Alright, he is quirky most of the time but you know what feeling he gives me every single time? Trust. He tells me everything that even his mother doesn’t know.” I explain. “Like?” Hana and Soomi says at the same time.

My eyes move from left to right.

“Like. . . how he likes Cheerios better t-than corn flakes?” I say and again they gave me that look. “What the hell—“No I swear, he lived his whole childhood eating Corn Flakes.” I defend right away. They both shook their heads like they weren’t pleased. “A-and he only got to buy his own cereal when he moved out. . .” My voice turned shy now as I finish my sentence.

But before I knew it, they were laughing hysterically already.

Somehow, I felt like crying when they laughed.

Like they’re laughing at him.

And I didn’t like it because they don’t know him as much as I did for the past three months.

I look away and wipe the tears that has trickled down my cheeks. It made them stop and looked at me in surprise. “A-are you seriously crying?” Hana asks. “You guys. . . you know what’s wrong with you? And other people? You think movies, novels and other fictional romance define everyone else’s way of feeling.” I speak making them completely speechless.

I used to think just like them.

But when I met Kyungsoo, it all changed.

I learned that it’s not all about that. He didn’t tell me anything, his personality did.

Not because he’s like that means he doesn’t deserve to be loved.

“What’s so wrong about liking him when he’s that unique? Does that mean, I should leave him? Then what? Watch him try hard to find another woman who will not accept what he is and then leave again like how I did?” I add before looking down. “W-we’re sorry. We didn’t. . . mean it like that.” Hana murmurs with her very guilty face. Soomi looked the same, even pouting.

“He’s a good person and I can assure you that. He has flaws. Maybe a lot of it. But isn’t other guys the same? Even worse.” I mutter but I already had a calm face and I have wiped my tears. “Wow. . . I never imagined you standing up for someone like this before. H-he’s. . . influenced you in a very good way.” Hana muffled with a very dumbfounded tone. I smile when I heard that. “In fact, I started eating healthy now. I’m not on a diet or something but I don’t rely on food when I’m upset. I rather call him and tell him what bothers me.” I add making them smile while glancing at each other.

“We’re really sorry. We were just not used to it. I mean. . . your last boyfriend is like. . . a very handsome and obviously the-total-bae kind of guy.” Soomi tells while chuckling. “Alright, it seems like he’s making you happy despite of his uniqueness which I think is not really a bad thing compared to other guys.” Hana said which made me sigh in relief. She should really accept you know, she’s the one who brought Kyungsoo into my life.

I know she was just confused of why nothing’s happening yet.

“But. . . why don’t you make him realize that he freaking needs to move now?” She suddenly adds making me tilt my head to the side while looking at him in curiosity. “And how am I supposed to do that?” I ask and chuckle. The two girls looked at each other and smirk before turning back to me. “Have you ever gone out with someone else since you’ve met him?” Soomi asks. My eyes widen in surprise. “You guys, why would I do su—“ Uh-huh, excuse me? Correction to your delusional world, Miss Han Iseul for your information, YOU.ARE.JUST.FRIENDS.RIGHT.NOW.” Hana says.

My lips curved into a pout as I slouch back.

“I know that, n-no need to emphasize.” I said with a sulky expression. “B-but. . . you guys, it doesn’t make sense. Why woul—“ It does make sense~ You show him what friendship really is and so that he’ll realize it’s freaking not the same with dating, duh?” Soomi snorts.

I grew silent as I think about it.

They had a point.

“It’s a bit. . . tempting.” I answer and they both smiles evilly while wiggling their eyes. I breathed deeply for a couple of times first. “Alright. I’m in.” I finally made my decision and they both did a high five. “So how do we do it? Do we find someone online again?” I ask.

“Psh~ you don’t need to do such risk. It’s dangerous to give false hopes to an innocent. Go out with my younger brother.” Hana said and my eyes widen. “Are you freaking serious?? Your brother is thirteen, that is child-abuse!” I exclaim in disbelief. I have a crazy bunch of friends. “Don’t worry about that, I’ll talk this out with Joon and I just need to give him a few bills, he’ll play along. Besides, you know how tall he is, it’s not obvious that he’s so young.” Hana said and winked.

“A-alright. Then what do I do with Kyungsoo?” I ask while fiddling with my fingers nervously. “I’ll talk to Joon as soon as I get home later and as soon as possible you’ll go out on a simple date, maybe go out in the movies? You tell Kyungsoo about this.” She tells and I gulp in nervousness. “Guys, I’m scared.” I mutter while nibbling with my lips. “Yah why would you be scared of a jealous man? It’s the cutest.” Soomi said and squealed. “No it’s not that. I’m scared that he won’t care.” I murmur and even I felt that sting when I said it myself.

Hana heaves a sigh and grabs my hand across the table. “That’s what we’re going to find out. Don’t be scared. This will also let us know if you should really go on or not. Granted that he’s different, but Iseul, you also deserve to receive what you’ve been giving him for the past months. This is for you too.” She tells and I just nod although I’m still worried.

He would care, right?

I hope he does.