Egotistical Comeback

Mind Over Matter

“Bye guys~ enjoy your hang out night.”

I wave a hand at my co-workers as we go out together. They actually invited me to come along with them to have a casual night out just to relax from work but I just had to decline such nice offer. I’m not in the mood to go to such stuff right now. Going to a different direction from them, I went straight to the parking lot.

But as soon as I get into it, I already saw that one familiar silhouette right by my car. A silhouette that I’ve been expecting to come for a few days now. I compose myself up as our gaps neared but instead of actually stopping right in front of him, I walk straight to my car’s door and opened it. “What brings you here.” I ask trying to sound unaffected and you know—cool I guess?

“Oh good grief.” He suddenly groans making me look. “What?” I ask and he was staring at me in surprise. “You changed your hair.” He tells still with that astonished look. Ooh, this guy who hates changes. . . “In fact, you’re right. What’s the matter, is it ugly?” I coldly ask and threw my bag in.  “I-it’s better than before that’s why I don’t like it, I’m not used to it. . .” He muffles and looks down.

I just scoff and roll my eyes.

“Yeah, things change.” I said before bending down to enter my car. “Wait.” He calls making me stop. “I made. . . I made a list.” He speaks while taking out something from his bag. I just watched him lazily while leaning on my door. “I planned to speak to you regarding this but I’ve decided it was better if I type and print it out first.” He adds but before he could go and give the paper to me, I put a hand up.

“Kyungsoo, I’m very tired from work so let me at least arrive home? We can talk there if this is really a matter of life and death. Alright?” I ask casually but my chest was pounding so much. He looked so cute right now, he looked very tensed which is to why it also gets me curious of what’s inside of that paper.

I just hope it’s not something ridiculous, whatever it is.

He glances down to the papers on his hands. “I-I’m not quite sure if this is a matter of life and death for you but I think it is for me. I don’t want to die yet, Iseul.” He tells while shaking his head. I responded with a scoff again then, “Then just follow along if you’re insisting, I really need to get home first.” I said before shoving myself into the car. I quickly start the engine and good Lord, how lucky I am that my car was tinted. As soon as I got in, a silly sheepish grin escaped my lips.

I don’t know why but I could already sense what is about to happen.

By the looks of his face. . .  I am so not assuming things right now.

He had that I-want-you-back kind of face earlier. So I start driving and I saw his car right behind me. “Oh my god, calm down Han Iseul. Calm down. . .” I hush to myself while gripping on the steering wheel tightly. Having him following right behind me right now in hopes to talk to me just killed my lady parts so much. Sorry but it’s true.

I mean, I’ve been waiting for this to happen.

Although he still didn’t seem manly as he shows himself earlier, I just knew there was something—even just a little—that is changed in him.

The voice might not always speak but the eyes do.

So why not play for a little bit more, right?

Arriving home, Kyungsoo just trailed behind me the whole freaking time. I was seriously holding my laugh the whole time! Even in the elevator on our way to my condominium’s floor number, he just stood beside me silently but his eyes were fixed down to me.

I mean if he was a real damn professional stalker and I’m the victim,

Excuse me but I think it is an honor—alright, I am nuts.

I am freaking excited but nervous at the same time.

Funny thing is that, I’m also ready for the negative side whatever it is. I’ve been readying myself long enough, alright.

“Come in.” I speak as I push my door open after punching in the door code. I threw my bag on the couch and walked to the kitchen. “May we start talking now?’ He asks. “Do you want coffee?” I instead ask and went to the kitchen and toward the coffee maker, this time he just stayed by its entrance. I could sense his eyes following my every move.

“I don’t have a choice, you’re already preparing it.” He mutters back and I gave him a look. He quickly shakes his head. “I’m not trying to be sarcastic. It just came out like. . . a sarcastic remark but it isn’t. Really.” He eagerly shakes his head in defense like he got scared of my glare. “The water’s still heating up.” I said and turn around. He sighed in relief. “Now, may we talk about it—“I should change clothes first.” I said and walk to the exit. “Oops, excuse me.” I casually shifted my body sideward to fit myself in the remaining space that our bodies nearly brushed against each other.

“C-can’t you just change later?” He asks. “Whatever topic or that paper you have right now is, it won’t leave. I smell awful, I came from work.” I answer back and without letting him further complain, I walk to my room. As soon as I got in and closed the door, I hop around while doing that soundless scream.

And instead of going straight towards my closet, I just sat there on the edge of the bed.

To make him wait.

Yeah I know I’m crazy.

I’m a girl, what else. Might as well make use of my ‘nature’ of being ridiculous according to Mr. Smarty.

Knock knock.

I shoot up from the bed when I heard a knock. “Iseul.” He calls and again knocked three times. “Iseul.” He repeats. “W-wait a sec!” I answer back and this time, I rush to my closet. “Iseul, the water is done. Do you suggest that I create the coffee or you want to make it for me instead because I’m a guest? I’m open with both. Uh—I’m not being sarcastic, alright?” He asks and I held my laugh.

“Iseul?” He calls when I didn’t answer. Aw, poor penguin. Let him suffer for the last few moments at least. He made me freaking suffer for a month. “Is changing putting a toll on your speaking competence? Or am I talking to myself right now?” He asks.

I changed clothes very slowly on purpose.

I tried as slow as possible.

“Iseul?” I then hear his voice again after a few minutes of silence. “Could you give me a signal that you’re still alive? If you don’t answer I will call 119 immediately alright? I don’t want you dead and also. . . if you’re dead right now I might be a prime suspect.” He asks which made my eyes bulge out. “N-no! I’m alright.” I finally answer while buttoning my shirt. I cuss under my breath as I change a bit faster this time.

Why does he always ruin my plans?

When I was done, I pat my chest for a few times as I walk to the door. “You can do this. . .” I encourage myself before opening the door. I could already smell coffee. When I arrived in the kitchen, I already saw two mugs served at the table and Kyungsoo was there. “I made you coffee even if you didn’t tell me to. I hope that is alright. You are always bitter an—I mean you like it bitter so I made it bitter enough.” He tells and I try to let myself be calm enough to take in whatever he was saying.

So I sat right across him and hug out the mug with my hands, feeling its warmth. “May we talk—“ Should I eat first? I haven’t eaten.” I cut him off. His shoulders fell and he already looked very displeased. “Are you doing this on purpose?” He asks and I try hard to maintain my composure as I take a small sip on the coffee. “Eak! Why is this too bitter??” I ask and without a word, he stands up leaning across the table and switched our mugs.

“If you don’t mind, don’t add another task you have to do and let’s not talk about the bitter coffee, I’ll drink it instead. Please let me talk now. If I don’t talk now I don’t know when else I would talk and it won’t be a good talk anymore when that happens.” He tells with his very troubled face. It was as if he’s been holding himself up for years. It’s wrong to compare him to this because it’s so not like that but he looks like a ually frustrated old man right now.

“Alright alright. Shoot it.” I gave in and lean on my chair more comfortably. His face seems to calm down the moment I said it and his grip on the mug obviously loosened now. He picks up his bag from the floor and put it right on the table. He took out the paper he was trying to show earlier and placed it flat on the table across him.

“So what is that?” I ask and casually point at it. “Just recently, I called an acquaintance over for a little help. The one I was with the other day in the restaurant you work at. We didn’t go out in an intimate way, first and foremost.” He said. “So?” I ask. “So. . . please don’t be jealous.” He said and I just burst out of laughter. I stop laughing when I see his displeased expression. “Sorry—okay, go on.” I said and cleared my throat to hide my embarrassment.

“You are not taking this seriously.” He grunts. “No~ Okay, I won’t laugh anymore. Just go on.” I defend while chuckling. He looks so distressed and I just want everything calm. Also, he looks damn cute when he’s irritated. I missed that face. “Alright. So in this paper, I listed out the things she has explained to me that I once didn’t understand.” He explains and looks down to the paper as if we’re really having a serious meeting.

“First of, for the month that has passed, twenty eight days in exact, same symptoms I had from before came up. I felt sick for a long time, I had insomnia and I felt psychologically bothered most of the times.” He explains. “So I just had to confirm it to her and that’s when she diagnosed it as heartbreak.” He said. I try hard not to smile as he explains seriously as if it was indeed an illness.

“Y-you. . . couldn’t sleep because you kept on thinking about me?” I tease and wiggle my eyebrows. He shot me a look, that skeptical look he always had. “You agreed to take this seriously—“I am. That’s why I do think I have the right to know if your insomnia was because of me.” I cut him. His shoulders fell slowly as he looked at other direction. He made a blowfish before turning to me again.

“Alright. Yes it i—“Ooh, I kept you up all night huh?” I begin teasing again. “May we move on to the topic?” He asks with his tired looking expression.

“Alright, go.” I said and cleared my throat. He gave me one last look before glancing down the paper again. “Next, so I told her what happened before everything—“ So that paper is your script?” I ask while peeking at it. He covered it with both of his cute little hands. “It’s not a script. I just had to list everything out so I would know how to deliver it nicely and when to deli—“ So technically, a script. Right?” I said and grinned.

“Tell me when will you stop talking and let me talk first?” He asks. “Alright, gee. I don’t even know why we have to be this professional talking about this. You can just apologize straight away and say you still love me.” I mutter and he gave me his most defeated and annoyed look. “We’re not on that part yet. See, it’s on the last page. Why’d you ruin my template, this is supp—“ Alright alright~ I’m sorry, go on with your pattern. I’ll act as if I don’t know yet.” I defend and put my hands up while having my amused face.

“I don’t want to anymore, it’s ruined already.” He muffled like a sulky kid and stands up. “Hey, where are you going?” I ask. “We’ll talk when you can be serious already.” He said. “Hey, I’m sorry. I’m just. . . very happy that, although in your own unique way, you’re making an effort.” I said making him stop. I stand up as I stare at his back figure.

“Frankly speaking, I’m having a hard time right now but I just need to do this. Because this is killing me mentally. I can’t keep up with this. I’ve never felt this before and I just don’t know what to do. Please just cooperate for once.” He muffles with his very troubled tone. I suddenly felt guilty when he said that. He turns around looking at me this time.

“You are fully aware that I’ve never been into this kind of situation before. Han Iseul, I excel in a lot of things. I can do a lot of things effortlessly, I know a lot of things. . . but moving on from you isn’t included in them. If I was a perfectionist, I could have stopped this immediately and learn how to move on too because that’s the last thing I would have to learn.” He speaks which left me speechless.

“Kyungsoo. . .” I muffle and he puts a hand up. “Don’t. . . with that voice. Tell me if we will continue or not.” He said and looked at a different direction.

Not speaking up anymore, I took my steps toward him. I reach for his neck and without further ado pressed our lips together. My shoulders jolt up as he slowly kissed back. It was the kind of kiss that we have never shared before. We were obviously both longing for it for a while now. I could feel his body moving much close to mine now as I deepen the kiss.

My heart was throbbing with so much content now that I’ve felt him once again.

Touch I have been missing, lips that I’ve been yearning for.

After sometime, we finally had the heart to let go but our faces stayed inches apart. “T-the pattern. Iseul, this isn’t supposed to be like—“ the pattern. I don’t care.” I said and my lips curve up into a loving smile as I cup his face. “But I will let you say the main part of your pattern then.” I add softly, our eyes were locked on each other. I my other hand onto his chest.

“Take your time. Say it slowly and as much as you can only.” I mutter. He bit his lower lip as he moved much closer. “Alright b-but first. . . I-I have the urge to. . . hold your hand.” He says. I chuckle softly and without any word, my hand that was on his cheek went down to interlock with his. “Request done. Go on now.” I said.

He moistens his lips up, he was in deep thought as he stared back at me.

“F-first. . . Aside from heartbreak that the therapist told me about. . . personally, I think it’s possibility that. .  . I just—“ I feel his hand tightening his grip on mine but still in a warm way. “—missed you.” He continues and my heart pounds even faster. “And then. . .” His thinking expression comes back but his eyes stayed on mine, still. “The therapist mentioned that. . . I-I lack of empathy and that might be one of the reason why. . . I hurt you.” He tells and I gave a light nod.

“Definitely.” I mutter and he suddenly had those adorable puppy large eyes. “I did?” He asks. “Yes, alright go on.” I answer briefly. “S-she said, I might have been aware of the word empathy too but I didn’t know how to feel it. But I disagree, I think I feel bad too.” He says while breathing heavily. “You’re improving; you can talk to me in this much closer gap.” I said and his shoulder fell. “Now that you’ve mentioned it, my heart is starting to throb. I am panicking now. . .” He said and tried to back away but I only pulled him back.

“Let it throb, mine too. C’mon, you go on.” I said. “Does this help?” I reach for my hand on his chest again and it. He shakes his head. “No, it’s worse. Stop it.” He said and so I put it down quickly. “Do you want to let go of my hand?” I ask. “Surprisingly, no. It’s alright with the hand.” He answers and I gave a curt nod.

“Continuing. I know how to feel empathy too. I just didn’t know that I made you feel bad that time. So I’m considered innocent from this case.” He said making me frown. “What the he—“ But even so. . . I still want to. . . to s—“ He starts stuttering. He closes his eyes tight. “I’m t-truly. . . I’m. . .” He starts panting and so I quickly grab him by the face making him open his eyes again. “Say it. Look at me.” I mutter and he seems like he’s starting to loosen up.  

“I-I’m. . . sorry.” He finally let out the magic words and I gave out a nod. “That’s all I needed.” I mutter and tiptoed to hug him. “W-wait—wait a second. I’m not done yet—wait, let go.” He suddenly whines like a kid and so I pull away while laughing. “What else?~ I already understood. I won’t force you to anything more. I jus—“I love you.” He utters. I could feel my whole body heating up so much because it’s the first time he said it right in front of me.

Until he continued,

“And I know you’ve been dying to be my girlfriend again. And so I want to fix everything alr—“ Woah woah woah!” I let go of his body and put my hands up. “What?” He asks. “Wah, seriously. You are really narcissistic. It’s still me who’s obsessed in the end, is that it?” I ask while letting out my laugh of disbelief. “Well if you put it that way, I can also consider it.” He mutters. “But anyway. . .” He leans down to kiss me again but I push his face off.

“What the hell are you doing??” I ask in anger. He stares in space for a while before nodding. “You’re right. You already killed the mood.” He mutters and my eyes bulge out. “Wha—ME?? YOU killed the mood, I didn’t.” I answer back. “So are we together again?” He asks. “Now look who’s dying to get back together oh??” I grunt and he just sighs. “What if I don’t want to huh?” I add while raising an eyebrow. “You can’t do that. It’s your loss already and I will feel sorry again.” He said. “Oh my goodness—I cannot believe you. Wah, seriously!” I exclaim in so much frustration.

“Do Kyungsoo, you are unbelievable. You’re so perfect huh??” I ask and turn around only to be twirled back by him and without any warning, he kissed me again. I blink hard, he was smiling through the kiss. I slowly found myself kissing back. Sorry, I’m not strong enough. I wrapped my arms around his neck as we shared such pure kiss. When we pull away, I bit my lower lip. For the first time, he cups my face. “I just fell in love with you even more now.” He mutters making me smile.

My anger has vanished.

But again. That was until he continued.

“Because finally you admitted that I’m perfect. You’re the best girlfriend ever.” He tells and I push him off while having my hands all up in complete surrender. “Alright, You are so out of this house. It’s windy already, don’t add up. Go out.” I said pointing towards the door. He stomps his feet. “So are you my girlfriend again? Could you please confirm it first?” He asks trying to reach for my hands but I was pulling away while glaring at him. “Yes! Happy now?? OUT!” I exclaim and point at the door again.

He just eagerly nods while grinning and rushed to his bag and the paper on the table before running out right away like an excited kid.

But as soon as he left, I found myself smiling.

Seems like my luggage of patience has been reclaimed. . .

Damn, he’s so egotistical but somehow he still finds a way to make it genuine. He’s just too smart, sometimes, I can’t blame him if he thinks like that.

I love this imperfect perfection.

 

 

 

A/N: I'm trying to maintain this story's main genre which is ROMCOM so I don't want dramas to take too long. And also, I'm in a very very very very good mood right now. Obviously, this was a ten-page chapter in MS Word, normally, I would have five to six pages only. ROFL