Two of'em

Mind Over Matter

 

 

“What are you wearing?”

I abruptly turn around to see my husband’s skeptical look when he entered our room. I had just finished washing up after cooking the dinner I prepared. “Uhm. . . clothes?” I answer with uncertainty in my tone and that made him raise his eyebrow even more. What’s so wrong with wearing this beautiful dress?

“We’re at home. Why would you wear such—Aha! you’re showing off.” Kyungsoo points at me with his very displeased face. My eyes widen in disbelief and I can’t help but to laugh. “Is it bad to dress nicely? It’s a welcome dinner for a new neighbor. Yah~” I hit his arm lightly while shyly grinning. “You look like an Orange chicken drumstick. I don’t like it. Change it.” He said and stomped his feet towards our bed. I pout as I hear his description.

“Stop being a jelly baby.” I murmur. “I am not jealous. I just don’t comprehend the point of dressing up when we’re just merely hosting a welcome formality and social convention to that guy whom you find attractive and perhaps more attractive than how you see me.” He blurts out and I just looked at him with my skeptical look. “Exactly. That is being jealous, my dear husband.” I say as a matter of fact before turning to the mirror to apply a light BB cream on my face.

“The last time you put a sticky fluid on your face was when we went on a date. And it’s not even a full date because we’re with a kid.” Kyungsoo grunts again making me stop before I could apply it. “Oh did I? I don’t remember having with you that night?” I turn with a smirk. He looked like a fuming penguin already glaring at me.

“Don’t alter our topic into a dirty one. It’s not humorous. I was talking about the cosmetic you’re holding.” He said. Okay, he’s damn serious now. “Don’t worry, next time we go on a date I’ll call over a babysitter to take care of Yohan so we could go on a real date, okay?” I reassure him. “Focus on the first portion of the sentence not the other one. Don’t skip the main idea, I don’t like it.” He nags.

I groan loudly and completely turn around to face him. “Can’t I look pretty sometimes?” I ask and heave a sigh. “For him? You look pretty to me everyday. Why need another guy to find you pretty?” He whines. I face the ceiling ad made a blowfish. “It’s not like that Do Kyungsoo. It’s just a woman’s nature to be self-conscious when there’s a new male friend and—“And that applies to single women.” He cuts me off.

“Okay fine. FINE.” I put my hands up in defense. I throw the BB cream back to the drawer. I reach behind me and pull down the zipper of my dress. “FINE. I will look just like how I look everyday. A haggard housewife. SURE.” I sarcastically say as I remove my dress. I walk over the closet again and pick out my usual clothes. “See how much I beat any guy? I see you pretty as a haggard housewife.” He answers and I just harshly wore my clothes.

“You are nuts.” I grumble. He is so annoying. Can’t I dress up at times? I’m a woman too. I like expressing myself through being pretty and I also want getting compliments especially to the opposite , can’t he get that?

I’m not trying to do anything with Baekhyun or whatsoever. I’m just merely being a woman, a girly woman.

“You’re mad.” I hear my husband’s voice right behind me as I put my shirt. “Yes of course—aish, get off.” I hiss when he tries holding my waist. He was leaning down my neck but I squirmed away in irritation. “I said get off.” I whine and elbow him on the sides. Once I was wearing my comfy clothes again, I start running my fingers through my nicely combed hair. I walk over the vanity mirror again and start pulling my hair up in a ponytail.

“Fine. I’m jealous. It’s because it terrifies me to know you want to be pretty for some other guy.” Kyungsoo admits but I remained silent while fixing my hair. “It terrifies me because I know it’s my fault. I. . . I don’t always compliment you thus you seek it from others.” He adds which finally made me stop. My hands that were on my hair slowly drop to my sides.

I turn to him and he already had that guilty expression.

“H-he said you look young but. . . I always teased you as old-looking. I just. . .” He looks away while running his fingers through his hair. “I just fear he’d win you over that.” He murmurs, barely opening his mouth. I walk over to him and grab both of his hands making him look down to me.


He gulps a few times as he looks down to our intertwined hands. “I’m always worried whenever you’re around guys because. . . I know they can give what I can’t because of my personality. I’m just—“ I silenced him off with a small peck on the lips. “I might seek for compliments from guys but it doesn’t mean they’d win me over. You already got me right?” I answer while chuckling. “And besides. . . who cares what they can give. What matters is what you can give. And what makes me proud is that. . . only me can receive it.” I hush and wiggle my eyebrows.

That finally made his lips curve up into a smile.

He holds me on the side of my neck while caressing my cheek with his thumb. “So can I wear the dress again?” I ask with a sweet smile. He lets go of me. “Not in a millennium.” He answers and gave me a kiss on the forehead before walking out straight of the room. “Yah!” I grunt but I was already chuckling while shaking my head at his silliness.

Guess I’ll save my fangirl feels over this cute guy.

And let me just quote, JUST fangirl feels. Nothing more nothing less.

When I arrived out, Kyungsoo was still there with Yohan in the living room. My son was crawling around the foamed portion of the living room. I glance at the clock, it’s almost seven in the evening and I didn’t really give him a particular time so we shall just wait, I already prepared the table nicely anyway.

I walk over to my husband who’s seated on the couch and sat down right on him as if he was a part of it. “Aw, get off.” He groans while trying to push me but I completely leave my weight all on him while even spreading my arms wide. I already hear his flustered but struggling chuckle as he held onto my waist. “Yohan-ah, come, Eomma has a new couch.” I said and clap my hands. My son pulls himself up and skipped towards me in tiptoe. I lift him up and it added much more weight, I hear Kyungsoo’s groan again.

“We’re going to crash Appa!” I singsong and even jerk my legs back and forth making my baby sway on my lap. He was giggling adorably as he enjoys the ride. “Y-you two are e-enjoying so much huh.” Kyungsoo grunts. He sounded like he’s ting to be honest. Yohan then kneels up on my lap and peek from my shoulder to his Appa.

“Kakoong!~” Kyungsoo starts a peek-a-boo game making me laugh along as the two did that a couple of times right in between me like I’m a wall. When Yohan got tired of playing it, he climbs down off me and so I decided to get off as well. I turn to Kyungsoo and saw him pulling himself up to stand and he was struggling.

I hold my laugh as he holds onto his knees while standing.

“Are you okay?~” I ask while touching his arm. “Now you’re asking.” He groans before stretching his legs, kicking lowly in the air. “Ahh~ Sorry.” I coo sweetly and wrap my arms around his waist. I hear his handsome chuckle while ruffling the hair on my ponytail. I look up to him and held onto the collar of his shirt before tiptoeing.

“Let’s have later.” I whisper and giggle after. He chuckles mockingly as he looks down to me. His hand suddenly hits my lower hip lightly making me flinch in shock. “We’ve been quite active for the past few weeks. If you get pregnant again. . .” He hisses but had a smile. “It’s okay, Yohan’s turning two already.” I whisper seductively while strangling his waist and swaying the both of us side by side. He scoffs back. “Tch, yes, in six months. We still have a long time.” He chuckles while tapping the tip of my nose.

I glance at our son who’s playing around before turning to Kyungsoo again. I hug him around the neck this time. “I know but we’re turning thirty-one soon, and if we wait for him to turn two before trying to get pregnant again. . . imagine the time when I give birth, I’m surely thirty-two already. I’m scared.” I explain softly. Yes, I thought of that really well cause I read somewhere it’s more risky for women to get pregnant in later years. I see how he looks at me calmly this time as he caress my cheek.

“Don’t force yourself on two kids. It’s fine with me. Remember when you were on labor, you almost got critical in the operating room because your blood pressure’s dropping. Do you want that to happen again?” He mutters back. I heave a sigh. “Kyungsoo, that’s part of it. Being a mother. No more explanations needed. And besides. . .” I glance at Yohan again.

“Yohan seems to be very distant to people. . . I at least want to give him someone whom he can be sure about and trust completely, a playmate, a sibling. Right? You. . . you never had siblings maybe that’s why it gave you a hard time to overcome your social complex.” I continue and look up to him again. “I understand your point but the thing is. . . it worries me during the labor an—“ That’s why you’re there. Didn’t I remind you early enough? I told you, you’ll always be there with your wife during labor no matter what happens, right? So nothing’s to be scared about.” I reassure him.

I suddenly remember our conversation about labor back then. Years ago.

Who would have thought, right?

“So. . . are you sure? You want it soon?” He asks finally with his defeated face. “Not very soon. We’re not rushing too much but I’m just saying we don’t need to wait for Yohan to turn two. I know the gap is a bit too near but at least we’re sure since I tend to struggle during labor, righ—“ Ahh, yah don’t say that. I don’t like hearing that.” He whines with his troubled face again.

“What?” I ask while chuckling. “All women struggle during labor. It’s just that mine is a bit more risk—“Stop. I don’t want to hear it.” He cuts me off and put his hands up in defense. “Kyungsoo.” I call and heave a sigh. “I change my mind. I am not going to risk anything, especially not you. We’re fine with Yohan alone. We’ll work it out together for him to overcome his social complex. He’s still a baby thus it’s normal, he’ll change. Okay? Don’t worry.” He clears out while giving me a nod.

I’m not really personally forcing to have two kids just because I want to. I’m just doing it for Yohan. For companionship in him ‘cause I know he would need it. Kyungsoo and I never had siblings like that, we want him to experience it.

As if on cue, our conversation was completely cut off when the doorbell rang.

“Oh, I think it’s him.” I give Kyungsoo a nod before walking to the door. Yohan followed me. Once I open the door, I see that familiar figure of Baekhyun. Wow, even his style is pretty legit attractive,

I could not help but to stare.

“Hi, I’m sorry I was a bit late for dinner time? I just arrived from work.” He speaks and bows. Yohan who was holding onto my thighs earlier already ran off like a scared cat. Kyungsoo on the other hand walks to the door as well. “It’s night time so I don’t see a reason to wear the eyeglasses.” He speaks and I clear my throat. “Shades.” I murmur. My husband just gives me a glare. “It’s the same thing.” He tells and gives Baekhyun a nod signaling him to come in.

Baekhyun removes his glasses and I swear, I gulped a few times.

He had a light guyliner on. And it compliments his grayish ash brown hair.

His skin is better than mine and he has this natural pinkish thin lips.

STOP.

“You seem pretty dressed up. What’s your job?” I ask as we come inside. “I’m a photographer slash food blogger. I just came from a photoshoot, I had to be included in the magazine I worked on so sorry, I didn’t have time to clean up.” He answers. “O-oh, Oh sure~ don’t ever clean up—I mean, it’s alright. It’s all fine. Don’t worry about it~” I said and laugh out of embarrassment.

I glance at Kyungsoo and he was standing right on the dining table while Yohan hides behind him. He was staring like he’s part of the Addam’s family.  I gave him a meaningful stare and so he puts away that kind of Ju-on expression immediately and clears his throat. “Wow, this looks nice. May I take a picture?” Baekhyun asks while looking at my dining table. I just realized he was holding a camera bag over his shoulders. “Omo, the cake. . . Where’d you buy it?” He asks.

I bite my lower lip as I try to suppress the urge to squeal. “I. . . I baked it. I used to work at a pastry restaurant and I occasionally take orders right now. So. . . yeah.” I answer and Baekhyun gave me a surprised look. “Wow. Just by looking at it, I know it’s high quality. You’re good. This deserves some shots.” He said and I was doing that girly ballet tiptoe like a shy kid. I could see Kyungsoo giving me that look again since he was right behind Baekhyun and it’s safe to glare the hell out at me. But then, that’s until the guy turns to Kyungsoo.

“Man, you’re lucky to have a pastry chef as a wife huh?” Baekhyun teases while chuckling. “I know. And I don’t share. The cake, perhaps, I can share. So please enjoy the cake, just the cake. Thank you.” Kyungsoo agrees while nodding. I close my eyes out of humiliation and look away. Here he goes again. Baekhyun just laughs back while nodding. I sneakily move close to Kyungsoo and pull him behind me. “You shut up or I will lock you in our room.” I mouthed to him. “I can’t help it. He looks intelligent, I don’t like it.” He grumbles back.

“Eomma eomma eomma.” Yohan starts tugging on my clothes while having a crying face. “Oh, hi Yohan-ah.” Baekhyun waves a hand and the toddler starts crying so bad while hugging my thighs. I lift him up quickly and the kid hugged me on the neck tightly. “Your boy’s kind of shy huh? You should bring him to parks sometimes, I think he seldom see kids of his age that’s why he feels inferior when he’s the only young one here, he feels different.” Baekhyun explains and my smile got even wider as I nod.

I glance at Kyungsoo and he already had a firm face. I know. I know Kyungsoo can’t ignore the intelligence in the guy’s tone. I know that defeated face of his. “H-how’d you know?” I ask and my tone suddenly got high-pitched which also surprised me a bit, I had to bite on my lower lip.

“Oh well, my parents forced me to take a medical field as a course back then but I didn’t really like it. In the end, I fought for what I really want which is photography and media.” Baekhyun explains while chuckling. “Oh you must have had a hard time in the medical field since it’s not for you. Good thing you failed, you have a reason to go for photography.” Kyungsoo said. I reach for my forehead as I try to suppress the urge to crash his mouth right now. His jealousy was so obvious that I know even Baekhyun would be able to sense it.

It embarrasses me so much.

“Oh, I didn’t fail. I finished it. I was ready for my doctoral degree in Psychology but I’ve decided not to do it and just go for Photography.” Baekhyun explains and I saw how Kyungsoo’s jaw dropped. Alright, I’ve never seen him this inferior before. Well maybe not inferior but the fact that the man was intelligent enough for him not to actually mortify him. “Oh. . .” Kyungsoo mutters and I hold my laugh. I never heard him say just ‘Oh’ to someone who’s explaining his or her educational attainment.

“P-perhaps. . . I know the school here you got into, I know a lot of medical schools her in Korea. I’m a Neurobio—“Oh, I didn’t study here. I studied in London, including the Photography.” Baekhyun answers and Kyungsoo suddenly choked. I start rubbing his back as he already had that very panicky and mortified look. “Are you alright?” Baekhyun asks. “He’s. . . Wait a minute, can I bring him to the room for a while, he’s kind of sick.” I lied and held onto Kyungsoo’s arm. “Could I leave Yohan here for a while too?” I ask.

“Oh, sure. Go ahead. Maybe I can take some pictures of the food you cooked.” Baekhyun smiles back. “Okay. Yohan-ah, wait here okay? We’ll jus—Oh. Guess not.” Yohan cried out and held onto my leg.

And so I start dragging two upset penguins into the room.

Once we were inside, Yohan stops crying but didn’t let go of my leg. While Kyungsoo speaks. “I don’t like him. I can’t breathe. I’ve never met someone so dislikeable before.” He said as if he was suffocating.  I roll my eyes and put my hands on my waist. “You just never met someone who can be as smart as you.” I said with my growing grin. “NO.” he answers back right now. “Then who else did you meet?” I ask. “NO as in he’s not as smart as I am. Never.” He shakes his head.

“Oh c’mon~” I bump our hips together. “He will just eat. And then go. Okay?” He said. He really looks troubled right now which is making me want to burst out of laughter. “Alright. But he’s right, we should bring Yohan to parks som—“ He’s not right. I don’t like his opinion, it’s not intelligent enough. He doesn’t have a PhD.” He tells like a sulky penguin. “Hey~ don’t be like that. Who knows, you can be good friends.” I said and lift Yohan up. “Baby, don’t cry whenever Baekhyun hyung will greet you okay?” I said while wiping my son’s tears.

I look at my husband again and start dragging him to the door. “C'mon, it’ll be fine.” I assure him. He keeps shaking his head like a kid. “No, I don’t like it. I won’t talk.” He threatens. “Then don’t talk.” I mutter while chuckling. “I don’t want to. He will talk and I will seem like I don’t know what he’s talking about and it’s not that.” He explains. Oh my goodness, what do I do. “What do you want me to do?” I hiss while scratching my hair. “You’re good at nonsense topic. Just open up nonsense topic, nothing else. I don’t ever want to talk about intelligent subject matters with that Harry Stylish. So be the talker this time.” He said before walking out first. “Honey, wait it’s Harr—Oh my god.” I burst out once he was gone.

He even made that loud blowfish which amused me so much. Did he just say Harry Stylish???

I cover my mouth as I laugh silently.

My husband just met his match. This will be fun.

This dinner would be fun, I’m betting on it. . .