Married, we are.

Mind Over Matter

 

 

“So you just recently arrived here?”

“Well, half a year is already a long time for me. But you can say that.” Baekhyun answers while chewing. You know what’s comforting in his personality? He might be a very intelligent person as well but still, he had a simple and cool vibe. “At first, I was staying in a condominium around Gangnam but I just decided to move in a real house and luckily, I found that house on sale a few weeks ago.” He adds while smiling at me and Kyungsoo who was helping Yohan to eat.

“Why not stay in the condominium then.” Kyungsoo aks and I kick him under the table. “Yah, so rude.” I mutter. “No it’s alright.” Baekhyun reassures while chuckling. “I just thought it wasn’t worth it. It was too expensive and I got the house next door in a very low price because the Ahjumma who owned it sold it out in a rush cause she told me she was petitioned by her daughters to the States and she’s in need of buyer ASAP.” Baekhyun explains.

I tilt my head while wondering.

“But thinking about all of the stuffs you’ve done and the story you told about your parents. . . aren’t you supposed to be rich?” I ask. “Well. . . I might be but it doesn’t mean I need to spend too much. I’m living alone, why waste money on a luxurious place besides I like the house there, it has a garden. I can relax when I’m tired, in the condo, you only see walls and when you open the windows, it’s the traffic of Gangnam.” He answers casually and I bite my lower lip. My fangirl feels are activating again. That is so turning on to any woman who would hear such words from a wealthy man.

“Ha ha. It’s funny.” Kyungsoo gives a very brief laugh that it sounded very sarcastic or was he really trying to be sarcastic? “Oh don’t worry about him, he seldom laughs. He used to laugh like that when we were still dating.” I try to defend right away. In all fairness, far from what we’ve expected, you won’t really need to open up a serious or intelligent topic with Baekhyun, he’s good with any topic.

“Anyway. . . with the kind of man that you are. . .” I open another one. I see how Kyungsoo’s slowly turns to me with that skeptical look. “You mean in what kind?” He asks. I glance at Baekhyun and I am a hundred percent sure he was already aware of Kyungsoo’s jealousy acts so he didn’t really react on that. “You know~ he’s pretty. . . awesome.” I murmur and giggled shyly like ah ahjumma who just met young handsome idols on the streets. “Going back~” I turn straight ahead again to cut the tension. “With the kind of man that you are, why are you still single then? I mean. . . girls would be. . . you know.” I finish my sentence.

Ouch! I felt Kyungsoo stepping on my foot.

I wince in pain but didn’t let out a single sound although I’m sure my face hardened at that sudden pain I felt. “No, I’ve dated before. A few times actually. Perhaps, I haven’t just found the right one yet.” Baekhyun answered calmly. I admire him for still not punching Kyungsoo on the face for the countless times that he mocked him and stuffs. “And you won’t also find it here.” Kyungsoo reassured and gave him a fake smile.

Baekhyun gives a calm smile again while nodding. It makes it seem like he’s being patient towards a kid with tantrums which makes me so embarrassed of Kyungsoo right now. He should be thankful the guy’s very patient and simple-minded. “Yeah, I wouldn’t deny I was a bit of a nerd back in London. I mean. . . it’s hard to find a girl there. I’m not saying they’re racists and it’s not all of them but still. . . you know. Asian nerd.” He explains while chuckling.

“You’re a nerd??” I ask in shock. “How about this one?? If you think you’re already a nerd, what is he then?” I exclaim while pointing at my husband. Kyungsoo groaned and pushed my hand down from his face. “That’s rude.” Kyungsoo grunts while glaring at me. Baekhyun only laughs softly. “Why. Don’t tell me you weren’t called a nerd when you studied in the States? They are nuts if they didn’t.” I told my husband while laughing. He purse his lips together tightly while giving me that scornful look.

“Yeah, man. I got called by that a lot. It might be different in the States. What did they call you?” Baekhyun asked. I see Kyungsoo gulping as he looks away with his embarrassed look. “I’m betting my one and only LV bag, he was called a psycho.” I murmur and Kyungoo shoots a glare at me but I saw his defeated face. “Oh, that’s far worse than mine. You must have had it tough. It’s alright, people usually see intelligent people like you different. If they call you that, they prove how low they are beneath you.” Baekhyun assures and Kyungsoo just looks away and focuses his eyes down to Yohan.

“I’m telling you, he appreciated your words but don’t expect a thank you.” I mouth to Baekhyun and he only gave me a nod. It was like he already understood Kyungsoo’s personality right away. “Anyway, do you mind if I include the photos of your dishes in my Photography site? I’ll surely put credits, I promise.” Baekhyun changes the topic right away. “Really? I mean. . . they’re just home-cooked dishes, nothing special.” I hesitantly answer while scratching my neck.

“Are you kidding me? The way you put everything in place is very impressive. And the taste, just WOW. I can’t believe you don’t have a restaurant or a bake shop yet.” He tells and I shyly grin back. “Thank you.” I singsong while childishly tapping my hands on the sides of my bowl.

“And may I also take a picture of you for a much clearer credits?” He adds and that’s when Kyungsoo puts a hand up like a student. We both looked at him. “You might mean professional but I am just not confident of what you’ll be doing to her photo aside from using it on the credit section of your site. Unless you delete it right away. My apologies, I just don’t give off my wife like that.” He speaks. I see how Baekhyun was open-mouthed for a while before he breaks into a pit of chuckles.

“Alright, forget it. I’ll just give your name and maybe your Online bake shop? You said it’s still active right?” Baekhyun tells. Oh thank God he was this nice and cool about everything. “Oh, that’s cool too. Thanks for promoting my site then~” I answer back while laughing. I glance at Yohan and realize he was already done wit his food and was just playing with his spoon and fork now. “Wait a sec.” I stand up and start cleaning up the messy meal desk of my son. He spilled the sauces all around. I also grab the pack of wipes on the side and start wiping his face.

Ding dong.

Oh, who’s that? I glance at Kyungsoo and e already stands up. “I’ll get it.” He tells and so I was left with Baekhyun. “Your husband hates me doesn’t he?” he asks right away while chuckling. I scrunch my nose as I give him a sympathetic nod. “But don’t worry, he’s just jealous. I never actually hung out with boys in front of him.” I mouthed while glancing at the living room. “He doesn’t need to worry, I know my place. You’re happily married, I’m not that close-minded to ruin such thing.” Baekhyun reassures with a smile.

“Iseul!!!” I suddenly hear that familiar fake-crying voice which made me turn. It was Hana. She ran over to me while squirming around like a kind having tantrums. “Soomi’s getting married soon!” She spills and I stand up straight with a surprised face. “Really??” I ask and squeal. “Why are you two so unfair? She’s gonna leave me too. . .” Hana fake-cries and flops down on the empty chair beside Baekhyun. “Why would you say that, of co—“I stop from speaking when I noticed Baekhyun’s eyes darted down to my best friend.

His eyes tell as if he’s seen heaven.

O.M.G.

Kyungsoo passes by behind me and gave me a light pat on the hip before he sits down again. I give him a look while signaling him to check the sight out. He glances at Baekhyun and I see how he also realizes the situation. “Uh, by the way, this is our new neighbor. Byun Baekhyun.” I introduce and I fail to ignore how the guy’s body jolts upon hearing what I said. Hana turns to him still with a frown and just absently bowed before looking at me again. “Iseul, as I was saying, I just can’t believe I’ll be arranging her wedding next. This is so unfair, why are you all getting married?” She continues whining like Baekhyun didn’t exist.

Hana grabs a piece of onion rings on plate nearest to her and casually ate. I hold my laugh as I notice how Baekhyun’s eyes dilate—in a good way—even more when Hana lifted her leg up to the chair like it was her own home. “You should find your man soon too.” I answer and wiggle my eyebrows. “Psh~ They’re all douche bags. After Hanbin, I’ve decided that all men are douche.” She tells. Kyungsoo scoffs. “Now I remember you kept on defending him to me back then. About his stupidity.” He speaks and Hana just gave him a glare.

“I’m not talking to you, alright?” Hana tells. She doesn’t usually speak like that to Kyungsoo but she seems so frustrated right now. “Maybe not all~” I tell and gave Baekhyun a look. He turned his head away when he finally noticed my gaze. “And also, I don’t get—ooh, the cake looks good. Can I have a slice?” She asks. “Yes, sure.” I nod. Hana was about to stand up to get a plate when Baekhyun slowly pushed his still empty cake plate towards Hana’s side together with the fork.

“Oh thanks.” Hana casually grabs it and starts slicing a cake for herself. I look at Kyungsoo and try hard not to laugh at the situation right now. Where was the cool Baekhyun we were with earlier? He turned a hundred eighty degrees when Hana  came. “I don’t get why she sounds so sure of marrying Jaejin. I mean, that guy is friends with the douche Hanbin until now which makes him a douche too. I swear, who knows what he is once they get married.” Hana continues ranting as she starts eating cake.

She never noticed Baekhyun’s constant glances.

If I was her, I could have felt it already.

Even Kyungsoo was aware of it. We kept on sharing eye-contacts.

“You hate men too much.” Kyungsoo speaks while chewing. “Well what’s to love? You saw how head over heels I was with that Hanbin before. Imagine, we lasted for two years and then he just suddenly breaks up with me saying he got tired of me? Is that the right thing to say to me??” Hana asks. “No.” Bekhyun suddenly answers and when we all looked at him, he looked flustered.

Was he aware he said that?

He avoids Hana’s eyes and grabbed his glass of water to drink. “See? Kyungsoo, I know you agree that it’s not right.” Hana scoffs while shaking her head. “Why don’t you try Yohan, he might answer. He’s a guy.” Kyungsoo blankly tells while slicing off my meat. Not to give me, but to take it himself. What a nice guy, stealing my food. “Ugh, whatever. I just need someone to talk to right now. I feel so depressed.” Hana leaned more on the chair and flips her hair. “Kyungsoo-yah, allow me to take Iseul out tonight.” She adds. Kyungsoo glances at me. “But she’s not free tonight.” My husband answers. “What do you mean not free, she doesn’t work.” Hana tells as a matter of fact. My husband and I made an eye-contact and I was reminded of what I told him earlier.

About the *ehem ehem.*

“Get married and you will understand.” Kyungsoo tells like he was scolding a kid. Hana just rolls her eyes and that’s when her sight falls to Baekhyun who was staring at him. “Do I have something on my face, Sir?” She asks and rubs her cheeks. Baekhyun shakes his head before turning away. My god, where did his mouth go?? He isn’t talking at all! He’s so adorable. He didn’t even act like to when he first met me earlier.

“Anyway, if you’re really not free maybe some other time. I just thought of telling the news first before Soomi does just to annoy her.” Hana tells and grins like a kid before standing up. She bends down to the table again and took the last bite of cake. She flips her hair again and turns around. Se tilts her head one last time to us and waves a hand coolly. “Adios~” She casually tells before walking sluggishly to the door like nothing happened.

Once she was gone, my eyes and Kyungsoo’s dart down to Baekhyun.

“I’m not the one to speak but you are far worse than me.” Kyungsoo blurts out and Baekhyun looked away while blinking. “W-was it that obvious.” He murmurs while rubbing the tip of his nose in a mortified way. “You like my best friend?” I ask with a delighted tone. “I-I just. . . she’s kind of cool.” Baekhyun answers while rubbing the back of his neck. “I know very well. If I was not decent enough, I could have fought wrestling with her whenever we would argue back then and she would win.” Kyungsoo tells.

“She’s single right now.” I tell as an obvious fact and wiggle my eyebrows. Baekhyun only shyly chuckles while looking back down to his food. “No, it’s alright. I just really found her cool and stuff, that’s all.” He explains and smiles lightly. “Just found her cool? Your eyes undressed her whole soul earlier.” Kyungsoo tells and I slap him on the back. “Ouch!” He winces. “That’s not a nice thing to say.” I grunt back at him. “I was just saying. . . I’m still a guy, I know that look. Your expression shouts Oxytocin even until now, your stomach lining’s red.” Kyungsoo explains and glances at Baekhyun who just scratched his head while looking at the door where Hana left off.

“And let me grant you a credit for not looking at my wife like that. Since I’m officially accurate that you don’t have any objectives or whatsoever towards my wife, we’re in good terms now.” He gives a curt nod before focusing his attention to our son. I glance at Baekhyun who still looks as flustered as ever. “Aish. . . this guy.” I laugh softly while tapping my husband’s back. “And that Hana, she prefers stupid guys. Don’t count on it.” He even adds. “Yah, of course not. Aish. . . if Hana hears you, you’re dead.” I mutter while holding my laugh.

Well, it just so happens that Hana has dated quite a few boys and she somehow always ends up with a douche and just like what Kyungsoo said, the stupid ones.

Anyway, it seems like my husband's confidence is now fully back. Gosh, if he’s a bit quieter like earlier, I wish he’s always jealous as .