Expect the Unexpected

Mind Over Matter

 

Carefully entering his bedroom, I close the door very gently before tiptoeing towards the bed. Can I just mention how keen my eyes are for actually memorizing his door code without him saying it to me? Well it’s his fault anyway. Whenever we go to his house to hang out there, he never really covered the code with his hand whenever he’s pressing it in. As if it was some ’s legs ready to go for some action, spread wide open.

Maybe he was intentionally showing it to me.

He just doesn’t want to tell me straight that it’s alright for me to trespass.

And I am hella doing it right now. Why?

It’s our anniversary today!

I am very excited for this one event. Not just because it’s our first but because I have had dark celebration pasts with him. It was during my twenty-seventh birthday.

Oh, wondering why I never had the heart to share that one depressing time of our love story here? It’s not that I didn’t want to admit I was twenty-seven already—well maybe partly, that’s why I never dared talking about it—but actually, that birthday of mine was honestly awful. Although it’s been so long, I still feel fumed at him whenever I remember it.

It’s not that he was so bad or something. . .

We were only like. . . two months into our relationship that time so we were really new and that was the stage where we haven’t even had our first kiss. So I never actually expected much from him in those times. He greeted me a happy birthday but had a little twist with his speech, “You are lucky you were born in January. January babies can have the ability to change the world. Like I can. But I doubt it in your situation, I believe it still depends on the human soul. But still, have a blast.” And that time I wanna wring him on the neck.

And one more thing to share, regarding gift ing giving. . .

He indeed gave me a gift. What gift? A freaking massage coupon in a Thai Spa. I respect the Thai way of massage, it really helps your body, but I would never dare going back. I am not a massage-person that it causes me pain afterwards. I could have just junked the coupon out but I thought it was such a waste not to use it so I did.

And the last thing he did that time? From the day of my birthday, he freaking called me JELLYFISH AHJUMMA until his freaking twenty-seventh birthday on the twelfth of that month. That was six days of hell for me.

So now you’re wondering why I never shared this one event in our freaking ‘romantic’ love story? I believe I have explained very clearly.

Now back to present reality,

I.NEED.SOMETHING.ROMANTIC.THIS.TIME.DO.KYUNGSOO.

I reached his bed and sat down on its edge. He looks so peaceful while sleeping. And as a matter of fact, even his lying position was very proper. Just straight, the blanket flattened up to his chest. He was wearing a flannel type of pajama shirt which was ed on the first three buttons but unfortunately to me, it didn’t actually give access to a glory chest sneak peek because he also had a white shirt inside.

I mean who the hell sleeps with two shirts hugging your body out? I even know some men say they like sleeping topless. Unless it’s Winter, but it isn’t yet.

Honestly, I kind of hoped to see him topless. Ugh, my ert mind. But you can’t blame me. It is officially a year into our relationship but we have never been that kind of intimate with each other. Now time passes by so fast, two months to go again and it’s our birthday month again.

And we’re turning twenty-eight already.

I have needs and bad reality for women is that my time to produce my glory eggs has that tick-tock-tick-tock sounds, alright? In other words, it has a time limit! And Do ing Kyungsoo isn’t doing anything yet.

It’s not that I want to get pregnant okay?

B-but honestly. . . why not? But of course I would want us to be ready for marriage first before that but I also want to have a child more than anything. And I only want him to be the father. I don’t want anyone else besides him.

Sneakily moving my hands to reach for the hem of his blanket, I ready myself to abruptly pull it down when his hand suddenly moved and grasped mine. Oh , I’m dead. My eyes moved from left to right as I feel his grip tight on my hand. “Tell me, what are you doing here.” I hear his groggy, sleepy but still firm enough voice. His eyes were still closed though. “Wait—let go first.” With all my strength my pull my hand away and unlucky me I stumbled and almost fell from the edge of the bed.

He shoots his eyes open causing me to flinch when he glared at me right away. “I-I know girls aren’t allowed in your room b-but. . . I’m not just like. . . ‘a girl’ to you so. . .” I avoid his eyes while fiddling with my fingers. “Fine, whatever.” He sits up and ran his fingers to his bed hair. Three gulps escaped my throat as I watch him. The hormones of a single Ahjumma inside of me is activating. No way, Han Iseul cool your jets.

“A-aren’t you going to greet me?” I ask. He gets off the bed and starts walking to his closet. “I’m washing up, get out.” He said. I frown hard and stand up. “Yah, do you even know what day is it today?” I ask, my tears were already forming. He just opens his closet getting a towel. “I need to wash up first, get out. If you do this again, I will change the code.” He said but his eyes stayed on the closet. With my pained heart, I stomp my feet towards the door.

He’s so below the belt this time.

This is worse than what he did to me on my birthday last time.

I turn the knob and open the door to get out but then he calls my attention again. “Wait.” He said making me barely turn my eyes to his direction. “Catch.” He suddenly throws something that my reflex quickly activated and luckily I caught it with both of my hands. It was a small black box. “Now get out.” He said and I look up to him with my teary-eyes. “I-is this a gift?” I ask. “Get out or I will throw my clothes to you next.” He said and darts his eyes at me. “Oh, well I wouldn’t say no to that as well just make sure the clothes were the ones you just took off.” I joked changing from my sullen mood to a playful one. I saw that very scary look from him this time that made me quickly step out and close the door shut.

I skip fast to his living room and flopped down the couch. “A gift, omo!~” I squeal as I fan myself. Although he didn’t greet me but this is more than enough. I am one of those women who kind of fancy these kinds of gifts. Not exactly jewelry, I don’t like all kinds of it but knowing it came from him, I would hella love it to guts.

I excitedly reached for the edge of the box and lift it up open. My whole body stiffened in a warm way. It was a ring.

My free hand reaches up to cover my mouth. It’s not just possibly a couple ring right? Cause it would have been two or he would never give it to me this way. I couldn’t move, I was speechless. I hope I am not assuming things or seeing things that can’t be real.

I just went all silent and motionless for a few minutes there. I was too shocked, hoping, wondering, all at the same time.

Then my thoughts were interrupted by the doorbell. I quickly stood up and rushed to the door. When I open it, it was a man wearing a cap and was holding a bouquet of flowers.

“Delivery for Mr. Do?” The man asks. My jaw dropped as I stare at it. Oh, , did I just ruin his possible plan? Oh, man. OF ALL TIMES??? “Y-yes, he’s in the restroom, L-let me. . . sign.” I stutter as he gave me the clipboard and I signed on it before receiving the huge bouquet of flowers. The delivery boy bowed before walking away. I weakly closed the door as I stare down at the flowers. They were Blue Roses that I rarely see. I’ve never seen real Blue Roses to be honest.

“See what happened. I told you to wait later in the afternoon.” I heard his voice making me quickly turn. He was already wearing some comfy shirt and pants. He walks straight to the open kitchen and I skip to follow him. “K-kyungsoo. . .” I call. He opens his fridge and sighed. “Now I have to cancel the reservation.” He muffles before grabbing a bottle of water and drank. “B-but you say we’ll just hang out a bit in the afternoon because you have a class afterwards until night? I just. . .” My eyes dart down the flowers and the box in my hands.

“Why, can’t I white lie?” He asks and this time, walks to the coffee maker. “B-but the ring. . . so it’s your g-gift together with these flowers? I w-wanted a gift but not these. . . expensive ones.” I muffle. “I just bought the flowers and supposed to be reservation in the restaurant which you already ruined. The ring. . . that’s my mother’s.” He said casually.

“H-ha?” I ask, my eyes start getting glittery. He briefly gazes at me as he prepares to heat water. “Slow much? That’s an engagement ring.” He answers and that’s when my tears started streaming down my cheeks. “A-are you serious?” I stutter with my shaky voice. “I’m still fumed at you because first, you intruded my house and then second, you ruined my plan. You think I’m not serious right now?” He asks and starts walking out while holding the bottle of water. He walk pass me and I quickly place the bouquet down the divider closet for a while and trail behind him.

“Kyungsoo, wait—“ I caught his body and I hug him from behind. “W-what the hell are you doing. . .” I cry out while stomping my feet. I couldn’t explain what I’m feeling right now. “Why are you so bad?? I feel like I’m having a heart attack already!” I cry harder while squirming like a kid having tantrums but at the same time, I was kind of laughing? He looks up to the ceiling making the back of his head meet the top of mine.

“Now that you’re reacting like that, I’m relieved we weren’t in a public restaurant.” He said. I quickly shift my body to face him for real this time and I grab his face with both of my hands. Without further warning, I seal his lips with mine. My tears heavily crawl down my cheeks as he kisses back. Once I cut the kiss, I tiptoed and wrapped my arms around his neck. “How long is this reaction time, huh?” he asks. “I love you.” I hush in between sobs.

I now feel his hands wrapping back around my waist until it was as tight as my grip on his neck. “I love you.” He says back and even kisses the side of my head. Then he lets go and pushes me gently. “Now, back to the topic.” He turns serious again and grabs my wrist pulling me to the couch. He made me sit on it and he sat right on the low table across me so our faces were very close to each other.

“What?” I ask with my light smile as I wipe my tears. “Now, without my. . . Mr. Smarty Cover-up.” He mutters and I let out a small chuckle causing my tears to stream down even more. I’m quite surprised he said that himself this time, I was planning to say that actually. “Will you marry me, Miss Han Iseul?” He asks formally and grabs the black box from my other hand and opened it. I gave out an eager nod. “Of course, I will.” I answer making him smile as he takes the ring out.

He grabs my left hand and slowly wears it on my ring finger. “Do you know why we usually put such rings in this finger?” He asks. “Why?” I ask while chuckling. “Because this left finger is the only finger with a vein that connects to the heart. So they invented such preposterous phenomenon. You didn’t know? What a Muggle.” He said and I pout and hit his chest lightly with my knuckles. “Now I want to explain how this will go first.” He speaks making me go back to my serious mode again as I give a nod.

“This won’t be right away. I plan to marry you next year.” He speaks. “But why? Or. . . why propose now?” I ask in confusion. He then grabs a piece of sticky note and pen on the couch’s table compartment. I watch him as he wrote January up to December in a very clean line. “What are you doing?” I ask. “This.” He encircles the months from January to June.

 “Give me this whole six months because I will be very busy. The Ajou University is going to publish an official Health Book and all in the Medical team which I am included in will work on its production for half a year before the official publication.” He explains and I just nod with everything he says.

“I would occasionally leave the country too in those times for our further research and support from other’s besides the Korean Medicine. The whole production will be six months at least. The others in my team might take longer but I agreed only six months to lend my effort. I told them I want to get married so I can’t give a whole year.” He said and my heart flutters at what he said. “A-and the remaining six months?” I ask and point at the months not encircled. “This is a very common sense, my dear. Preparing for marriage doesn’t take a short time.” He explains and I bite my lower lip as I nod. “And also, I don’t want people to judge you for getting married when we’ve only been together for a year and say you’re being impulsive. Let’s at least make it two. I am not being impulsive. The moment I extracted everything of me out to you, including my past, I know it’s you.” He explains like he was explaining to a kid.

I gave a nod again. He gave me his slightest smile as his hand reaches up to my face and wiped my tears. “And besides, you have a whole year to get fit.” He said and I glare at him. I threaten to hit him and he just laughs before leaning close. “I was just joking. Don’t change because I won’t.” He said. “Alright.” I said and grinned. “Yes, including the hair. No, don’t ever cut it again.” He said while vigorously shaking his head. I pout and hit his chest. “Why do you always tease me about that.” I whine but without responding with a word, he holds my neck and captures my lips with his.

“Oh wait—“ He muffles in between kisses. “Hm?” I respond while wrapping my arms around his neck. He cuts the kiss and gasped for air. “Happy Anniversary.” He said. I roll my eyes and mockingly laugh. “WOW Do Kyungsoo. WOW. I didn’t know you knew?~” I said and he just flicks my forehead before continuing with our kiss. I was already getting immersed of the kiss when he pulled away again. Our faces stayed feathers apart, as we gasp for air. His hot breath hitting my face. “What again?” I ask in between pants.

He pauses for a bit before speaking. “Could you make Spaghetti for me? Finish it this time, alright?” He asks. My lips curve up into a smile as I tap his cheeks. “Why the hell not. Spaghetti for brunch isn’t very likely but it’s alright~” I answer before standing up. “Could you put a lot of cheese?” He asks. “Sure! I’ll put ten huge blocks of cheese, you want?” I ask and start skipping to the kitchen. “If you do that you will eat it alone and I assure you, you won’t feel nice around your abdomen later on and I won’t help you because I’m not that kind of doctor.” He said and follows me while having his mocking smile. I gave him a glare and stuck my tongue out at him before smiling again.

“Anyway, why blue roses?” I ask while pointing at the bouquet. “Aside from its usually symbol which is the impossible or unattainable, Blue also symbolizes water.” He explains. “And so?” I ask. “Water.” He points to the flowers. “Jellyfish.” He then points to me. I just gave him that -_- look. “Really now?” I ask and fold my arms. “When will you not annoy me on these kinds of celebrations?” I ask. He seals his lips together nervously like he got that I was trying to point out my birthday last year. “I love you.” He speaks rapidly before abruptly getting out of the kitchen.

That made me smile somehow although I still had my glare. “I love you too, smarty!” I shout back before opening the fridge to prepare my fiancé’s special request. . . Wow, it feels good to say that.

We are engaged.

Could you believe that? Everything just took place so fast; I did not expect even a single bit of it.

We will soon be Mr. and Mrs. Do Kyungsoo. Omo, it makes me want to cringe out of extreme happiness.