Chapter 8

Arranged Marriage

I was annoyed. I quickly made my way out of the room and the restaurant. Luckily there wasn’t any more reporters outside. This whole day has been a mess. I was tired and ready to go for a run later. I made my way to the car and then I remembered that Naeun was accompanying me to see my grandmother. She passed away when I was 10, and that was my turning point. I considered my grandma my only family and we she died, everything good about me died with her. Although it’s been 15 years since she died, I still wasn’t over it. Every time I visited her, I cried, and every time someone mentioned her I would suddenly feel like crying.

It didn’t take long to spot Naeun coming out of the restaurant. She looked around, and when she found me, she quickly made her way towards me.

“I thought… you left”

“How can I do that when you said you wanted to come with me?”

“I know but, I though you would forget. Besides, you looked so exasperated back there that I just thought you would be gone by now.”

“Well, I’m still here. Are you coming or not? I can drop you off at you house if you want.”

“It’s okay. I’ll go with you. I still have to go visit her anyways.”

I nodded, opened the door of Naeun’s side and waited for her to climb in. after that, I made my way to the other side and climb into the car and started it.

The ride was silent. The only thing I could hear was the noise from outside. On our way to the cemetery, I stopped at the usual flower shop to buy grandma some flowers.

“Wait here. I’ll be back in less than 5 minutes”—just as I was about to open the door, Naeun stopped me

“I’ll go with you! I’m also going to buy her flowers.”

I just nodded and got out of the car. I was going to open Naeun’s door, but she had already beat me to it. We walked to the store and I opened the door to let her go first, and then I stepped in. the store wasn’t big, and it was crowded with different type of flowers. There were carnations, tulips, roses, violets, etc. Naeun started looking in the store for flowers, but I already knew what I wanted.

“Can you give me a bouquet of white tulips and one of white roses, please?”

“Yes, sir. I’ll have them ready in a bit.”

The cashier left and I looked at Naeun. She was so concentrated into the bouquets of flowers in exhibition that she didn’t notice when I stopped next to her.

“Have you chosen already?”

“Yeah, I’m buying tulips. But not white, I’m getting her the yellow ones.”

“Then hurry up”

“Yes mom!”

I smiled as she made her way to the cashier.

“How can I help you?”

“Can I get a bouquet of yellow tulips please?”

“Yes ma’am. I’ll go get them.”

The cashier left and Naeun kept on looking through the shop; with me following close.

“What is your favorite flower?”

“What?”

“Are you deaf or what? I asked, what’s your favorite flower?”

“Why do you want to know?”

“Yah~ Son Naeun, I know that you’re not stupid, so stop playing dumb. Why else would I ask? Aren’t we getting married? Shouldn’t I at least know what your favorite flower is?”

“Ah~ you’re right.”

“Then? Which one is it?”

“My favorite flowers… is hard to choose since all flowers are pretty, but I think I like carnations more than any other flower.”

“Why is that?”

“I’m not sure. But I like that they’re not too simple nor too much. You understand me?”

“Here are your flowers. Would this be all?”

We both turned towards the cashier and walked to where she was holding our bouquets of flowers.

“Yes, this will be all. Charge it to my card.”

“What? Ani~ I can pay for myself.”

“Don’t worry. I’ll pay for them.”

“I hope I’m not being rude but, you two look really good together. I don’t really see couples that get along so well like you.”

“Ani, we’re not—“

“Thank you, we get that a lot. Right honey?”

I looked at Naeun as the cashier giggled and charged the money from my card. I didn’t know if she was red from the hot air that the air conditioner was giving, or if she was blushing from what I said, but I still smiled.

“Here’s your card, your receipt, and your flowers. Have a nice day.”

“Thank you. Let’s go honey.”

I grabbed Naeun’s hand and pulled her out of the store with me.