Chapter 15

Arranged Marriage

"Naeun, did you even researched this place before coming? I never really thought you had this type of...ideas."

Myungsoo and I were having our tour around 'Love Land' and it was seriously awkward. When the girls talked to me about it, it seemed like a place full of flowers and romantic things, I was not expecting to see sculptures all over the place. Every time we encountered a new sculpture, Myungsoo would blush and keep a good amount of distance between us. Every sculpture in the park showed different positions and ideas that were a little crazy, and I regretted suggesting that place. Even thought it was awkward, we decided to stay since we were already there and didn't have a second plan.

(A/N: I seriously recommend you guys to go look for Jeju 'Love Land' and please don't open the images with a family member near you... it would be really weird if you did.)

"How was I supposed to know that there was a park dedicated to this type of sculptures? Bomi tricked me! Just because of this I'm not buying anything for her."

"Are you tired? Shall we seat down?"

Myungsoo took my hand and dragged me towards a bench that was under a tree, and sat beside me.

"You know, is always good to research the places you visit, that way you prevent yourself from seeing things like this."

"I really didn't think of it. Maybe we should go, I don't want to be here anymore. This is going to be a bad memory that is going to hunt me until I die."

"Kim Naeun, you are very pessimistic. I think this is a good memory. When I grow old, I'll look back on this day when my wife toke me to an park for our honeymoon. Sound like a good story to tell."

"Ani! This is seriously the worst day ever! I can't believe I fell for Bomi's prank! I'm so aggravated and the heat is making it worse...Myungsoo, let's go find a bar. I really feel like having a drink right now."

"Are you crazy? Why do you even drink if you can't handle it well? Let's just go back to the hotel and sleep. I really want to take a nap and don't wake up until tomorrow morning."

"Then let's decide what to do. Let's play a round of rock, paper, scissors and the winner decides."

Myungsoo agreed and we played a round. Just like I was expecting, I won and this time I dragged Myungsoo out of the park and into the nearest bar.

*******************************************************************

"Would you stop drinking? You've already had enough."

"This is not enough! I'm like this because of you!"

"Why is this my fault?"

"You brought you my mother's death this morning and then we ended up at an amusement park. This is all your fault, if you hadn't say anything about last night I wouldn't be like this."

"Naeun, let's go back to the hotel and we'll talk about it there, alright? It's getting late and it would be dark soon. We don't know what could happen out there."

"I don't want to leave!"

I stood up from my seat, left some money on the table, and placed Naeun on my back with the help of a waitress. She kicked and hit me trying to stop me from taking her back to the hotel, but after a couple of minutes she gave up, probably the alcohol had already kicked in her system. The rest of the trip back to the hotel was quiet and pleasant. Although I walked a long distance with Naeun in my back, I felt like I could still walk all the way to Seoul with her holding on to me. 

Back at the room I placed her in the bed and took her shoes off. I thought she was already asleep, but when I looked up, she was staring at me wide eyed. In a couple of second, tears gathered in her eyes as she bit her lip trying to hold them back.

"What's wrong?"

"My mother....I really miss her."

I sat in bed next to her and took her in my arms just like a baby, and hugged her as she cried out.

"It's alright, I'm sure your mom is with you. My grandma used to say that when we lose someone, we think that they are gone forever, but in reality they live in our hearts. And as long as we remember them, they would always be with us." 

"My mother used to bake oatmeal cookies for me when I was sick. My father would always bring my mother flowers after work and have dinner with us every night. Now I barely get to see him. I wish I could go back and do anything to prevent my mother leaving us. I want to go back and spend more time with her. I really miss her. I wanted her to be present at our wedding and I wanted her to tell me that everything was going to be alright. I wanted her to hold me when your grandma left. I wanted her to be there for me and hold me when you left the country." -She sobbed- "Kim Myungsoo, I really missed you. I cried myself to sleep every night for a year when you left."

"Mianhae, I didn't want to hurt you. Mianhae, for leaving you behind. Mianhae, for not coming back soon. Mianhae, for everything that I've done to you."

"I... don't want to be alone again. I'm tired of people leaving me behind."

"From now on, I'll stay with you. This time I will hold on to you, and I won't let you go again. I won't make that mistake again."

"Kim Myungsoo, do you really mean it?"

"I mean every single word I said. I promise you that I'll stay by your side even if you don't want me too. I won't let you go again, so you too, don't let me go."

I hugged Naeun closer to me trying to stop her cries. After a while, she stopped crying and I laid her in bed. I took my place next to her and hugged her again. She stirred in my embrace until she was comfortable and hugged me back.

Just when sleep was taking over me completely, I heard Naeun's sweet voice.

"Happy birthday, Kim Myungsoo"