Chapter 23

Arranged Marriage

I stirred as the sunlight hit my face, the clock beside the bed marked 7:00am of a Tuesday morning. Today was the day when my family’s company would be handed to me, a very important yet sad day for me. It has been about a month since my father passed away, and although I had my friends and Myungsoo to support me, the pain was still present as the day he passed away.

I sat up on the bed and looked down to Myungsoo sleeping next to me. A sadness came over me and then the feeling of throwing up. I rushed to the restroom as fast as I could and knelt in front of the toilet. Within seconds Myungsoo was next to me, while I cried and emptied my stomach. He rubbed my back while I sat on the floor trying to calm down. Once I stopped crying he took me in his arms and placed me on the bed.

“Are you alright? Do you want me to take you to the hospital?”

“Don’t worry, it must have been something I ate last night.”

“Are you sure? Why don’t I take you to the hospital before the party tonight?”

“Ani, you have to head out to the office, if I don’t feel well I’ll ask Eunji to go with me.”

“Alright, but you have to call me if anything happens okay?”

“Don’t worry, I’m sure it’s nothing… But, why must we attend that party?”

“Because the board is going to present you as the new CEO of the company. It’s also a good opportunity to know the people in the business and gain their trust.”

“Do we really have to go? I have a bad feeling.”

“Don’t worry, I’ll be with you all night.”

“You promise?”

“Yes, I won’t leave you alone.”

He kissed my forehead and then he pulled me closer to him. We stayed in bed for a few minutes before he had to get ready for work. After he left, I stayed in bed deciding if I should see a doctor or not. I knew Myungsoo would be worried, so I called Eunji and promised to meet each other at the hospital.

Half an hour later I was outside the hospital waiting for Eunji. I was feeling nervous, I had actually not been feeling well for a while now but never told Myungsoo.

“Unnie!”

“Oh Naeun-ah! What’s wrong?”

“I haven’t been feeling well.”

“Why didn’t you bring Myungsoo with you?”

“I didn’t want to bother him.”

“Then, shall we go in? And after that, let’s go shopping. I need a dress for tonight, I don’t have anything to wear.”

“You don’t have anything to wear? Or you don’t have anything to get Hoya’s attention?”

“What are you saying?”

“Unnie, you should have accepted Hoya when he first confessed to you. Now that he’s ignoring you, you’ve changed a lot.”

“I don’t care about Hoya…”

“If you say so.”

“Yah, let’s hurry up here so we can go shopping.”

We entered the hospital and waited until my name was called. We were then called to the doctor’s office.

“Kim Naeun?”

“Yes, that’s me.”

“What’s the reason of your visit?”

“I haven’t been feeling too well for the past month.”

“Any symptoms?”

“I’ve felt nauseous and dizzy a few times and I can barely eat anything. And this morning I threw up.”

“We’ll have to run a few tests before we know what the real problem is, but it all leads to one thing.”

“And what is that?”

“You present symptoms of pregnancy. But as I said before, we’ll run some tests just to be sure.”

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

“Naeun, are you ready to go?”

“Do we really have to go?”

“The main character has to be present, and that’s you. Why? Are you feeling unwell? Did you go to the hospital?”

“I just have a bad feeling about this party. And don’t worry, Eunji went with me to the hospital.”

“What did the doctor say?”

“It’s nothing to worry about.”

“Are you sure is nothing to worry about?”

“Ne, the doctor told me so… Myungsoo, I have a present for you.”

“What is it?”

She stood up from the bed and went to the closet. A minute later she came back with a box in her hands.

“I brought this a while ago, but didn’t have the opportunity to give it to you.”

“Can I open it now?”

She nodded and placed the box in my hands. I opened to find a black watch looking back at me. The design was simple but elegant at the same time.

“What do you think? Do you like it?”

“Ne, this is a big gift, what’s the occasion?”

“I wanted to give you something for your birthday. I know it’s late but I didn’t know what to buy you back then.”

“Thanks, but you didn’t have to buy me anything.”

"I wanted to buy it for you, besides were married and is normal fr us to give each other gifts."

"Then, I'll wear it tonight."

Naeun took the watch from me and helped me put it on. I looked at her and smiled.

"In that case, I also have something for you."

I went to my closet and took out a box from one of the drawers.

"I brought this a while ago, back in France. I didn't have anyone to give this too, but now that I have you, then it's right for me to give it to you. Although I don't know if you'll like it."

I opened the box where the necklace was kept. The infinity symbol detailed with blue diamonds was in the center of the box. The design was simple but elegant; perfect for Naeun.

"This is beautiful. But, why the symbol?"

"It symbolizes my love for you. Naeun, I really love you, my love for you has no limits. I would do anything for you, even if it involves losing my life."