Chapter 3

Arranged Marriage

“DongWoon oppa, can we meet later, I have something to tell you”

“What is it that you need to tell me? Can’t you tell me what it is by phone? Right now I’m busy with work and I’m not sure if we can meet later. Why don’t you tell what it is right now?”

“I can’t. What I have to tell you is really important and I would prefer to say it personally.”

“Mhh, well I’m not hungry but I guess we can meet and have lunch together. I’ll be getting out for lunch in 10 minutes, where should we meet?

“Let’s meet at the coffee shop near your office.”

“Great, I’ll see you in a bit. Love you”

“Mhh” I hanged up and left my room.

Guilt was running in my veins. I couldn’t believe I was going to break the heart of an amazing guy. I’ve liked DongWoon oppa for years, and only 4 months ago I was able to confess my feelings to him. I thought I would get to spend the rest of my life with DongWoon oppa after we got together, but now I see that I’ll never get to choose how I want to live.

I got into my car and drove to the café to meet DongWoon oppa. On my way to the café I kept on thinking on an easy way to tell DongWoon about my marriage with Myungsoo. I wonder how he’s going to react to it. He’ll probably don’t take it right, especially when my fiancé is Myungsoo. Even after 19 years, I still don’t understand their hate towards each other.

Without realizing it, I was already parked outside of the café, and my head felt like it would explode any moment.

As I made my way to the café, I saw DongWoon oppa already there. This is going to be the worst day ever.

“Naeun-ah! Over here!”

“Oh oppa, you’re already here. Did you wait too long?”

“Ani, I just got here. I took the liberty to order something for you, I hope it doesn’t bother you. Take a seat.”

The waiter came with our drinks, and left right after.

“It’s okay, it doesn’t bother me.” I took a seat in front of him, and looked at him.

“So, what is it that you wanted to tell me?”

Many things were happening in my head and my emotions were everywhere. As I looked at him, I couldn’t help to feel sad. Tears formed in my eyes as he looked back at me with a smile.

“Naeun-ah, what’s wrong? Why are you crying?”

“DongWoon oppa… I… I’m sorry…”

“Why are you sorry? You haven’t done anything to me.”

“Oppa… we need to… break… up…”

“What?”

“I think, we need to breakup”

“What? Why?”

“I… the truth is… is just that… I… I’m getting married.”

“You’re getting what?”

“I’m getting… married”

“I don’t know what to say…”

“I’m sorry… I know that we got together not that long ago, and that I promised you that I would never leave you alone, but… I’m really sorry. My father…”

“Naeun-ah, it’s okay… I understand how this works… is not your fault… your father is doing this for your future… I think… I don’t really know what to say right now…”

“DongWoon oppa… I’m really, really sorry…”

“Who… are you getting married to?”

“Myungsoo…Kim Myungsoo…”

“I have to… get back to work…”

“Oppa… I…”

“Don’t worry Naeun, I… understand… I’ll see you… later”

“Oppa…”

He got up from his seat and made his way to the door. I stayed at my seat, with words in my mouth that I wanted to tell him, but they didn’t came out. I stayed there crying, looking at the coffee cup in front of me. I felt like the whipped cream melting in my coffee, but instead it was my heart breaking in pieces.