Chapter 19

Arranged Marriage

"Myungsoo-ah! Let's go camping today!"

"Camping? Why camping?"

"I like going camping. Besides, I know a place where you can take pictures."

"Should we?"

She nodded her head and jumped up and down on the bed. 

"Then, we'll go with one condition."

"What is it?"

"You have to call me 'oppa', or else we won't go."

"Ah~ Why should I call you oppa?"

"Well, I'm your husband and I'm older than you. Don't you think that is weird when you call me Myungsoo?"

"Why should it be weird? That's your name!"

"Call me oppa, and we'll go."

"In your dreams Kim Myungsoo!"

I climbed the bed and took her in my arms before she could even think about running. She started kicking and yelling as I pinned her to the bed and I laid on top of her.

"You just have to say one word"

I inched my face closer to hers, our lips almost touching.

"Just one word and I'll do anything you wan--"

The phone rang and I jumped back. She laughed as she pushed me and reached for the phone. Before she was able to answer, I snatched the phone from her and stood up from bed and out of her reach.

-hello?

-Naeun-sii?

-Kim Myungsoo speaking

- This is secretary Yoo, Mr. Song's secretary. He is being translated to the hospital right now.

-the hospital? why?

-he suffered a heart attack

-send me the address, I’ll be on my way.

"Naeun, let's go camping another day."

"Why? Who was it?"

"It was your father's secretary"

"Mr. Yoo? What did he said?"

"Your father had a heart attack, he is being taken to the hospital right now."

====================================================

"Secretary Yoo! How is my father? What happen to him?"

"Naeun-ssi, I don't know exactly what happened. The maids found him on his room earlier and we had him moved here. He's being in there since we got here, but no one has told me anything."

As if on cue, a doctor came out of the surgery room and made his way towards us.

"Family of Mr. Song?"

"Yes, I'm his daughter. How is my father doing?"

"We ran some studies when he got here and it all indicates that he had a heart while he was asleep. The cause we don't know, but we're still trying to do our best."

"Please save my father. Do anything you have to do but please save him."

"We'll do everything that is in our power."

As soon as the doctor when back to the surgery room, I took Naeun in my arms before she could collapse. With her in my arms, I took a seat in one of the chairs while Mr. Yoo sat across from us. Naeun started crying, and I hugged her closer to me.

"Don't cry, it's going to be alright."

"What if he doesn't make it? What's going to be of me then? He's the only family I have left."

I took her face in my hands and made her look at me.

"Then what about me? Am I not your family? No matter what happens to your father, I'm also here for you. I told you before, you're not alone, and I’ll be by your side no matter what, arasso?"

Before she was able to answer me, I wrapped my arms around her and pulled her closer to me.

"Just because your feelings are not the same as mine doesn't mean that you're alone. When I married you I promised to be with you forever, and I'm not going to break that promise. "

============================================================================

It was already late when my father was out of surgery and moved to another room. According to the doctor, he was out of danger, but his health could get worse in an instant. Myungsoo has been by my side all day and he takes good care of me even when I'm being stubborn. His words this morning hit me like a bucket of ice. My feelings for him were growing, but I wasn't sure if I loved him. He has only told me that he loves me once, and he doesn't force me to love him back, but I feel guilty. Since we got married he's been showing me how much he loves me, he takes care of me when I'm not feeling good, and he's always there even when I'm angry. I might be hurting him, but I'm a selfish person and I don't want to let him go. 

I looked at my father and felt the tears already forming in my eyes. 

"Why are you crying?"

"Father!"

My father opened his eyes, looked at me and smiled.

"Where you worried?"

"Why didn't you call me? If you felt bad then you should have told someone, at least Mr. Yoo"

"Mianhe, I didn't want to make you worried and I still did. Myungsoo, where is he?"

"I sent him out. He hadn't eaten anything since we came, so I sent him with Sungyeol oppa to eat something."

"You should have gone with him too. I don't need you taking care of me every minute."

"How can I leave you when you're in this state? Besides, he's been working none stop, it's right for him to be with his friends."

"It's right for you to be with him since you're his wife."

"Appa, can I ask you a question?"

"What is it?"

"Why did you make me marry Myungsoo? You told me that it was something my mother wished, but I don't understand why him."

"Your mother and I had some difficulties before you were born. We had to take out some loans to build the company, and we were in trouble most of the time trying to pay back the loans we had. During one of those times, your mom almost lost you, she was in the hospital for a few weeks and we had trouble paying up the hospital bill. And then, it was like an angel had come to help us, Myungsoo's grandma happened to hear our story from one of the nurses and decided to help us. Since then your mother decided that she would marry you off to the best man. She didn't want you to go through the same things we went, and when we met Myungsoo after she gave birth to you, she saw something special in him and decided that he was the one. She knew that he was going to be the right one for you, and made me promise that I would make you marry him no matter what."

"How did she know he was the right for me?"

"I don't know. Even before she died, I asked her that, but she said that it was you two's destiny. Therefore, I had to keep my promise to marry you off to him. Are you happy with him?"

"Actually, I'm not sure."

"What do you mean?"

"Since we got married he's done everything to make me happy. If I propose and idea for the company he takes it in mind, he never says no when I ask for something. It's fun living with him, but I'm not sure about my feelings."

"What about him?"

At this question, I started to feel the tears in my eyes. I looked down to my hands holding my father's and felt terrible all of the sudden.

"Myungsoo? He said he love me back at our honeymoon."

"He did? Shouldn't you be happy?"

"I don't know... I feel like I'm hurting him in a way. All this time he has taken good care of me, and he has showed me how much he loves me. He's always bright in front of me, and he goes with my crazy ideas. Honestly, I'm happy with him, but I'm not sure I can return his feelings."

.

.

.

.

.

"Do you really have no feelings for me?"