Chapter 25

Arranged Marriage

I sat outside the operation room, Sungyeol next to me, and Myungsoo's parents across from us. After we arrived at the hospital Myungsoo went into surgery. He received a gunshot on his shoulder, and the doctor said that we shouldn't worry about that. However, when he landed on the floor, the impact was enough to cause him a brain injury and required an immediate surgery.

I looked at the clock, and it marked 12:45. Three hours have passed since Myungsoo was brought into the OR* and we still didn't know anything aboit his condition.

I stood up from my seat and went on the look for some fresh air. I found a balcony not far from the OR and decided to stay there for a while. My mind was running wild, I thought about Myungsoo back in the OR, and about the man that tried to kidnap me. His words couldn't leave my mind, and no matter how much I tried to forget them, I couldn't. I was deep in thought when Sungyeol sat next to me.

"Here, I don't know if you can drink coffee, so I brought you some water."

I took the water bottle and thanked him.

"Has anyone said something about Myungsoo?"

"Ani, I asked a nurse if she knew anything but she said that she had no information. We have to wait until the doctor finishes the surgery. Apparently his case is severe and requires a lot of time."

"Do you think he'll be okay?"

"I'm sure he will, Myungsoo is strong, besides,"- he looked at me and smirked- "I don't think he'll leave you now that you're pregnant."

Sungyeol smiled at me and i let out a small chuckle.

"Oppa?"

"Mh?"

"That man, back at the party, was it true? What he said, is it true?"

"I'm not the right person to tell about it, but it is true. I know you must feel angry, but you shouldn't take it out on Myungsoo. I'm not saying this because he's my best friend, but because he really didn't know about it."

"Why are you so sure?"

"Because I was there when he found out."

*Sungyeol's flashback*

I was sitting in with Myungsoo at his office going through some bank statements.

"Myungsoo-ah, look at this. The sum of all the payments doesn't add up. We are missing money."

"Missing? I don't remember signing anything else but that."

"Why don't we call the bank? Maybe you lost a receipt."

"Sure let's do that."

I called the back and they sent us a status of our account.

"Myungsoo-ah, did you transfer any money to Naeun's father? "

"Me? Ani, why?"

"There was a good amount of money transferred to Naeun's father a few days before your wedding. Are you sure you didn't make it?"

"Ne, I didn't transfer anything. Does it coincide with the missing amount?"

"Yes, do you know of anyone that could have made that transfer?

"Aniyo... look more into it, there might be a mistake."

I kept on looking through the records and found something surprising.

"I found it! According to the record, it was your father that made the transfer."

"My father?"

"Yes, I thought Naeun's father wasn't going to receive any money from the company until after your marriage. It's kind of odd, he transferred a big amount of money to Mr. Son and he didn't tell you about it. don't you think is weird?"

"Now that you say it, it is weird... I'll call Secretary Han and ask him to look further into it."

~~~~

Two days later I was sitting with Myungsoo in his office again talking about stupid things. We were laughing like idiots when Mr. Han came into the room.

"President, I found information in the matter you told me to look into."

"What did you find?"

"I tracked down your father's and Mr. Son's meetings and found something really... interesting."

"Go on."

"I think you should look at it yourself."

He took the folder in his hands and placed it on Myungsoo's desk.

"What is this?"

"All the information I gathered is in there. I thought it would be better if you looked at it yourself. If you don't need my help, then I would get going."

"Go on, it's already late."

Secretary Han left the room and Myungsoo and I starred at each other.

"Maybe you should open, if he didn't say anything then it might be something serious."

"What if I find something I don't like?"

"Then, we'll find a way to deal with it."

That night, Myungsoo got drunk and didn't go home. After seeing the information Mr. Han found, he felt guilty about marrying Naeun, and made me promise to keep it a secret from Naeun.

*End flashback*

"Naeun-ah, Myungsoo was only keeping this a secret from you to protect you, he loves you too much, and you know it too. I know I don't have the right to tell you what to do, but think about Myungsoo, and your baby. Any decision that you take from now on, should be based on the better for your baby."

He stood up from his seat and left me there with my thoughts. Sungyeol oppa had a point, I should only make decisions based on the better for my baby, and I didn't want my baby to grow up without his father. 

A few minutes later, I went back into the hospital and sat next to Sungyeol oppa outside the OR.

"Any news?"

"Nothing yet. It's already late, you should go home and rest."

"Aniyo, I'll stay here until he comes out."

The clock marked 1:30am and Myungsoo was still in the OR. In front of me, Myungsoo's mom was already asleep in her husband's arms. Just when I was about to close my eyes, the doctor came out of the OR.

"Kim Myungsoo's family?"

I stood up from my seat, Sungyeol oppa right behind me.

"I'm his wife. How is he?"

"The surgery went well, we were able to remove all the blood successfully. However, during the surgery he suffered a heart attack, we did everything we could, but he ended in a state of coma."

"Coma?"

"Ne, he's going to be moved in to ICU*, and would be in constant observation, but we don't know when he'll wake up. I'm really sorry Mrs. Kim"

I turned around and was embraced by Sungyeol. Soon, tears started running down my checks, and my sobs overlapped with Myungsoo's mom. Sungyeol oppa whispered from time to time that everything was going to be okay, but the moment the doctor said Myungsoo went into a coma, my heart shattered into pieces. I was afraid of losing him too, just like I lost my mother and my father. And at that moment, I regretted not telling Myungsoo I loved him sooner.