Chapter 21

Arranged Marriage

I needed to fix things with Myungsoo, but I didn’t know how.

“I’ll come by later, if something comes up call me.”

I stepped out of the car as Myungsoo took off and then went into the hospital to my father’s room.

“Appa, how are you feeling to…day?”

“Oh~ Naeun-ah come in. Dongwoon came to visit me this morning.”

“Naeun, it’s been a while.”

“Oh~ why are you here?”

“I heard that your father was here and decided to pay him a visit, I hope it doesn’t bother you.”

“Ani…”

“Naeun-ah, did you have breakfast?”

“Not yet…”

“Why don’t you two go have something to eat? Breakfast is the most important meal.”

“Appa, I’m fine, I’m not hungry.”

“Then, what about some coffee? You can’t say no to coffee, besides, we haven’t seen each other in a while.”

“Go with him, it would be good for you right now.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“How is it? Being married to Myungsoo?”

“Well, it’s alright. He’s not as despicable as I though.”

“That person, did you love him?”

“Why do you ask?”

“Let’s get married.”

“What?”

“Naeun-ah, I love you. This time being without you has been terrible. Since the day you left me, I’ve been having trouble sleeping. Every night I want to call you and tell you to come back to me, but I’m a coward and don’t have the nerve to do it. Naeun, please come back to me. We can leave everything and everyone behind, all you have to do is come with me. We’ll travel the world, we’ll visit every place you want, just please come back to me.”

“What are you even saying?”

“Let’s run away, just me and you. Let’s leave everything behind without looking back. I am willing to leave everything, my family, my company, everything I’ve worked for, just for you.”

“I can’t leave Myungsoo.”

“Why? Do you love him?”

“Why does it matter to you if I love him or not?”

“You and I have been together for a long time, I don’t think you can forget about me that easily. I don’t think you can ever love him, despite everything, you still love me, and we both know it.”

“You’re right, I don’t love him, but I sure know that I don’t love you either. Just as you said before, we’ve been together for a long time, but I never loved you.”

“Why are you saying that?”

“I never loved you, or at least not truthfully. You made me feel things that I had never felt before, and you made me smile all the time, but I wasn’t really happy by your side. Every time we went on dates, I would always think of Myungsoo, when I was sick I would wonder how he was doing. Although I said that I hated him, I wanted to be around him, I wanted to know how he was doing. When he left me back then, it hurt me a lot, and you were there to pick me up, and I’m thankful to you. But you knew better than anyone else what he meant to me.”

“Are you being serious right now? You can’t leave him because of your stupid childhood crush? Is it that?”

“I… I honestly don’t know, but I can’t leave him.”

“You can’t leave him or you don’t want to leave him?”

He took my face in his hands and made me look at him.

“Look at me in the eyes and tell me that you don’t love me anymore. Tell me that you can’t be with me because you love him.”

“Dongwoon…”

“I won’t leave until you give me an answer.”

“Please don’t this…”

“No matter what, I’m not giving up on you this time.”

And then, he kissed me…

And as an instinct I kissed him back…

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

“Oh~ Myungsoo, you’re here.”

“Yes, I should have stopped earlier but I had something to do back at the office.”
“It’s alright, I know you must be busy with the company. Naeun told me that you’ve been working really hard to make it function without problem.”

“Well, I’m not sure how my work is affecting the company but I hope nothing goes wrong.”

“I’m sure everything would be fine.”

“How are you feeling today?”

“Honestly? I’m not feeling any better.”

“Do you want me to call the doctor?”

“There’s no need. I think my time has already come. My health hasn’t been good for several months now, and the doctors said that there’s nothing they can help me with.”

“How is that? Weren’t you taking medicine?”

“I’m still taking it, but is not helping my body anymore. I’m already old and my body doesn’t function like it did before.”

“So, there is nothing we can do? What about looking at another country?”

“I really don’t want to go somewhere else. If I am to die anytime soon, I wanted to be here.”

“Naeun, does she know?”

“No. I can’t even tell her, just thinking of it makes me sick. She’s the most precious thing in my life, and it would hurt me to see her suffer. Myungsoo, you have to promise me to take care of her.  Once I leave, you’ll be the only family left she’ll have. I know that she can be very stubborn sometimes, but please bear with her. I know that you heard what she said yesterday. Right now she might say that she doesn’t love you, but I know that deep inside her, she corresponds to your feelings. You just have to give her time for her to realize that. She’s really smart, but she’s very naïve when it comes to love.”

“Do you really think she feels the same way I do?”

“I know so. Therefore, don’t give up on her, not yet.”

“Don’t worry, I’m not going to give up on her this time.”

“That’s good to hear. Myungsoo, can you do me a favor?”

“What is it?”

“Promise me that you’ll take care of Naeun once I leave.”

“Why do you say that?”

“I made many mistakes in the past, and once I’ll leave there would be people that would do anything to get their hands on the company. And since Naeun is my successor, I’m scared someone would try to hurt her. That’s why you have to promise me that you’ll take good care of her.”

“Don’t worry, I’ll make sure nothing happens to her. By the way, where is she?”

“Ah~ she went down to get some coffee with Dongwoon.”

“Dongwoon hyung is here?”

“Oh~ he stopped by earlier and went to get some coffee with Naeun.”

“Ah~ I see.”

“Why don’t you go look for her? I need to talk to her before something happens to me.”

“Then, I’ll bring her back.”

I left the room and then took the stairs down to the cafeteria. As I was making my way in, I saw them together…

And then they kissed…