Chapter 4

Arranged Marriage

“Yes?”

“Oh Myungsoo! I was just calling to tell you that we’re having dinner with the Son tonight at 8 at Pierre Gagnaire à Séoul. Please don’t be late, and wear your best suit, we don’t want you to give a bad impression to your fiancé and your father-in-law.”

“Okay”

“Ah! And you have to pick up Naeun”

“Why do I have to pick her up?”

“Well, I’m sure the press is going to be there, and we have to make them believe that this marriage wasn’t arranged. Is better if you and she come together to the restaurant. That would make you two be in the first page of the newspaper.”

“Okay, I’ll pick her up. Does she know that I’m picking her up?”

“I’m not sure. Her father might have told her, but just in case, call her or send her a text just to make sure. You have her number right?”

“Yes, I do. I’ll call her. See you later mom.”

I hanged up with my mother and sighted. Why did I have to pick up Naeun? She probably detests me now because of the marriage. Instead of calling her, I send her a text.

My mother told me to pick you up. Would you be done by 7?”

I send the text and got up from my bed. While I waited for Naeun’s reply, I looked in my closet for a good outfit. Although my mother told me to wear my best suit, I was not going to wear the best suit I had. Instead I went for something comfortable but presentable. I gathered my clothes and turned the shower on. I heard my phone ring, and saw that Naeun had replied back.

7:30 would be better.”

“Then, I’ll pick you up at 7:30”

“Okay”

“Are you… okay?”

“Yeah, I’ll see you later.”

I wanted to keep on asking her if she was alright but I didn’t want to pressure her. She must be devastated. After liking DongWoon hyung for many years, she finally got to be with him, and now she has to marry me.

I went back to the bathroom and took a shower. I kept on thinking on how my life living with Naeun would be like. We’ve never really liked each other, or at least that’s what she thinks. Naeun is a very special person to me, and getting married to her is one of the best things my parents have done for me.

I got out of the shower and changed into my clothes. I stylized my hair, wore my favorite watch, and the necklace that my grandma gifted me when I was 5. I checked the clock and had 10 minutes to pick up Naeun. I made my way to the door, took my car keys, put on my dress shoes, and went out to pick up Naeun.