Chapter 7

Arranged Marriage

“Myungsoo-ssi, are you doing this just to help Naeun’s family? Aren’t you scared that she’ll take all of your fortune?”

I stopped as soon as I heard that question. I don’t usually pay attention to their questions, but this question was something that I couldn’t avoid.

Was he marrying me because he wanted to help me? No, it was actually me who was marrying him because my family needed the money. Was I trying to steal his fortune? No, I just wanted a certain amount of money to help my father’s company.

Myungsoo also stopped in his tracks, he was probably think how low I am. After what it felt like forever, he gave my hand a little squeeze bringing me back to reality, and then he continued walking, dragging me with him.

The interior of the restaurant was very elegant, but what can be expected from the most expensive restaurant in Korea. The hostess brought us to a private room were our parents were already waiting for us. We stepped into the room and bowed. Myungsoo’s father was the first one to speak.

“Come in kids, take a seat.”

“You guys look splendid!”

“Thank you Mrs. Kim.”

“Oh don’t call me Mrs. Kim! From now on call me mother.”

“Yes….mother.”

“Myungsoo, it’s been long since I last saw you. How are you doing?”

“I’m fine Mr. Son.”

“I’m glad. You should stop by my office one of these days. Of course, if you’re not so busy. You’re one of the persons I trust the most.”

“Don’t worry. I’ll specially make time to see you.”

“Good, I’ll be waiting to see you.”

“Naeun-ssi, you’ve grown to be a beautiful lady. Is nice to see that my son would marry to someone as beautiful as you.”

“Thank you, father.”

“Good! You’re dropping formalities. You won’t take long to adapt to our family.”

“Myungsoo, you look very handsome! I’m so happy to have you as my son.”

“Are you saying that because I can make money with just showing my face or why?”

“Kim Myungsoo! Don’t talk like that to your mother. Show some respect in front of our guests.”

“So now you’re going to act like my father? After many years of being invisible to you, you decide that you can control me now? What makes you think that?”

“Kim Myungsoo!”

Myungsoo looked like he was ready to throw a punch to his father, and I decided to step in before something happened.

“Myungsoo, I think is better if you calm down. There’s no need to start a fight.”

“Listen to your future wife Myungsoo. She sure is smart.”

“Myungsoo, please don’t start something. Your grandmother wouldn’t like it. Especially today.”

Fortunately, the waiters came in with our food. Myungsoo and I hadn’t ordered anything, and I’m sure our parents ordered for us.

“We ordered for you, I hope it doesn’t bother you. We picked Myungsoo’s favorite dish. And your father chose something delicious for you Naeun-ssi.”

“Thank you mother.”

“No need to thank me. You’re now part of our family, and the family takes care of each other.”

The waiters placed our food in our respective places. I looked at Myungsoo and he had a worried expression. I didn’t understand why until the waiter placed his dish in front of him.

“Myungsoo-ah, mom knows how much you like scallops that’s why I ordered them for you. Don’t thank me, mom knows what you like.”

“Do you really know what I like?”

“Of course! I’m your mother! I know you better than anyone else.”

“If you are my mom, then you should have known that I don’t eat scallops. This is Woohyun’s favorite dish. I’m allergic to scallops.”

“You’re allergic? Since when? I thought you loved scallops.”

“I’ve never eaten scallops in my life. I’ve been allergic to them since I was 5; about 20 years ago.”

“Oh. I don’t remember.”

“Of course you wouldn’t.”

Everything went quiet, and I exchanged a look with my father. We both knew this wasn’t going to end well, and Myungsoo was about explode. Since no one said anything, my father decided to speak up.

 “I think it would be better if we tells the kids about the marriage plans right now. We never know if something can happen.”

“I agree with Mr. Son. Let’s just get over this, I have more important things to do than deal with this.”

“Kim Myungsoo!”

“Father, I think is better if we get to the point. I also have an important appointment.”

“If that’s what you want, then let it be that way. You two are marrying in two weeks. The invitations will be send tomorrow, and we would send you a copy of the list of guest just in case you want to invite someone else that isn’t on the list. Naeun-ssi, you’ll be meeting with my wife one of these days to look for a wedding dress, and you Myungsoo, will go with me.”

“I don’t need your help. I can look for a suit on my own.”

“Kim Myungsoo!”

“Father, I don’t think your help or mother’s help would be required. Myungsoo and I can go look together for a dress and his suit. If it doesn’t bother you.”

“Naeun-ssi, it doesn’t bother us at all!”

“Don’t worry about the dress and the suit. Myungsoo and I can go together, that way we don’t take your time. You must be busy with other matters.”

“If that’s what you want, then suit yourself. But if you need our help, call us immediately.”

“Of course mother.”

“If that’s all you have to say, then I’ll be on my way. I can’t stand being here.”

“Myungsoo, please stay a bit more.”

“Did you not understand what I just said? I don’t want to be here anymore.”

Myungsoo stand up from his seat, and left the room.

“Father, I should also go too. Sorry I couldn’t stay long.”

“Is okay Naeun-ssi. Are you leaving wit Myungsoo?”

“Oh? Yes, he’s dropping me off.”

“Then take care.”

I stood up, bowed and then went and gave my father a hug and a kiss. He smiled at me and then I left.

I quickly made my way to catch up with Myungsoo but he was nowhere to be seen. He was probably already outside, and I quickly made my way out of the restaurant. There were no more reporters and it made it way easy to spot Myungsoo.