CHAPTER 1

Arranged Marriage

“Why? Why do I have marry? Why of all the people him? Dad, please don’t do this to me. You know that we can’t hold a relationship. Out of all the people you know, Kim Myungsoo is the worse. You know better that he’s a player, arrogant, uncivilized, and a really stupid guy!”

“Son Naeun!! Be careful with your language! I did not taught you how to judge people just so that you can insult someone as well-mannered like Myungsoo! You don’t have a word on this marriage. You marrying him is the best thing for both parties. We need to have a secure contract with someone, and out of all the companies, the Kim’s hold a greater position.”

“But we don’t need them! We can rise the company by ourselves, without their help.”

“Naeun, you are my only daughter and I want you to have the best life you can get, and I’m sure you’ll have it if you marry Myungsoo. I know that Myungsoo isn’t the best person in the world, and I know that your relationship with him is like giving a bath to a cat. But I need you to cooperate with me. Our company is falling down, and we need lots of money to bring it back up. We can’t do it by ourselves, and you are the only way out.”

“Dad, if we keep on looking, we can find a way to bring the company back up without having to go this far. Please father, you know that I would do anything for you and for the company, but not this. I can’t do this! Please father...”

“I’m sorry Naeun, but I’ve already met with the Kim’s, and they agreed to this marriage. Don’t think of doing this for me or for the company, you know that your mother wanted this. Before she died, I made a promise to her that you would marry Myungsoo. Right now, this is just me taking care of my promise to your mother.”

“Father, I don’t want to marry Myungsoo. We hate each other! I don’t know why my mother wanted me to marry such a jerk. But I’ll try. I’ll give everything to maintain my marriage with him, but I don’t promise anything.”

“I’m calm knowing that you’ll try to get along with him. You know that I love you right? I’m just doing this for your future. I don’t want you having to do all the work of the company when I leave.”

“Father, what are you talking about? You’re not going to leave. The doctor said that everything was good and that we didn’t have to worry about anything. You’ll live a thousand years more.”

“I know, but I just want you to have a secure future. You never know what could happen to me. Everyone has a destiny.”

“Father, stop talking noon-sense. There’s no such thing as destiny.”

“Just let me believe what I want. Now go get ready, we have a dinner with the Kim’s tonight. I want you to be presentable and on time. We’re meeting at Pierre Gagnaire à Séoul at 8. Remember, don’t be late.”

“I know father, I won’t be late. I love you.” I hugged my father and left the office.

As I headed back home I couldn’t stop thinking about my marriage. I wonder why my father chose Myungsoo as my partner. He game me several reasons but he’s my father and I know better that there’s something else. I wonder what it is.