Could It Be Love?

BEHIND OUR FOREVER
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“, I didn’t know Jiyong’s got such a flattering and flowery tongue. After this, I wouldn’t be surprised if he somehow managed to seduce you and you fell for it.”

 

“Hush now, Bom. If I didn’t know better, I’d say you’re drunk. Clear your head.”

 

“I’m just still shocked, you know. Oh my gosh,” Bom fanned her face, apparently feeling suddenly hot all over.

 

“Let’s just assume that we’ve gone past that particular story and try to focus more on Dara’s feeling,” Chaerin turned to look at Dara. “You must be so confused, Dara-ah.”

 

Dara merely nodded. “It’s not like I’m unhappy with all these indescribable feelings inside my chest. I just... don’t know what to do with them everytime he’s around. I’ve never felt like this before. I don’t even know what it is. I just don’t.. understand.”

 

“Could it be possible that you’re... in love with him?” Bom whispered, her eyes widened.

 

The silence that elapsed between them was almost deafening. The only sound came from Dara’s bedroom clock that hung on the wall, above her windows, and her own thundering heartbeat. Dara kept mum after Bom voiced out her question.

 

Love...

 

Dara knew that word. She knew what it meant. But all her life, she had never associated it with anybody outside her family, Bom and Chaerin. Meanwhile, Jiyong was someone else in her life. He had been a stranger before they knew each other. And though she’d like to have a more composed friend, she still cherished Bom dearly and decided that her 8D personality was a gift she couldn’t find anywhere else. Besides, Chaerin had filled the calm, matured and composed role between them so, it wouldn’t hurt to have the other one acting crazy. Don’t ever let Bom catch that.

 

“Love?” Dara mumbled.

 

“Don’t you think it’s too early for that?” Chaerin furrowed her brows, unsure.

 

“My dear Lee Chaerin, listen to me,” Bom cooed. “There’s no such thing like too early or too late for love. Sometimes, you just fall right into it. Sometimes, love just come for you. As simple as that. Love has no particular arrival or departure time in our lives, that kind of thing, you know. Once it comes for you, you can’t prevent it. No matter how hard you try.. You’ll realize they’re in vain because love will always find you whether you want it or not. You just need to accept it in the end. It won’t be always full of colors, happiness and laughter but if you just stand on your feet, welcome it open arms, I’m sure you’ll find what you’ve missed in your life and you’ll be grateful to have this chance.”

 

Dara was still silent, pondering on Bom’s words now that she’d said it. Am I really in love with Jiyong? Is love really what I’m feeling towards him? Can I love someone? She wondered to herself.

 

“It is, once again, a probability. An assumption,” Bom emphasized. “Don’t feel burdened by what I’ve said, Dara. I wasn’t trying to scare you off or make you overthink all of it. Whatever you’re feeling right now towards Jiyong.. you need to sort it out yourself. Only you who know what will come in the future. If you don’t wish anything then, try to come out of it before you fall too deep and you can’t help yourself. I don’t wanna see you all miserable because of this. But if you wish to see where this is going to take you both, just be careful. I’m sure you’ll find the truth someday.”

 

“I understand,” Dara whispered. Her thundering heartbeat eased down a bit as she listened to Bom. Somehow, her chest felt light as if the burden was being lifted and thrown out of her. She’d calmed down now that she didn’t feel like she was about to burst any moment. Talking always helped in a situation like this and she was glad she’d made the right decision. She was grateful to have them both, listening to her and giving her their views and words.

 

“Bom’s right,” Chaerin caressed Dara’s left shoulder. “Don’t feel burdened by it. You can always talk to us. Don’t let yourself carry it all. And if ever what Bom said was true and that was exactly the explanation to what you’re feeling to Jiyong then, we’d be happy for you. I think, love isn’t a bad thing to experience.” She shrugged with a sheepish smile.

 

“It’s the best thing in the world,” Bom nodded, her eyes were misty as if she’d cry any moment now. Their talk, somehow, had shifted from the crazy teenagers with hormones mode to touching deep in heart mode. “I never imagined you’d finally listen to me and agree that love is indeed beautiful and worth every struggle!” She cried, pulling Chaerin into her tight embrace and quickly pulling Dara as well. “I didn’t exactly say that but-“

 

“Oh, that’s enough for me!” Bom sobbed. “I can surely fix that.”

 

“I knew it,” Chaerin mumbled, rolling her eyes but smiling.

 

“I love you, guys,” Dara said between their little banter. She was grateful, very grateful.

 

 

***

 

 

The night has turned into another morning. It was still early. The wind blew, bringing chills and shivers to every skin exposed above the blanket. Everyone hasn’t come out their house to do the routines as they perfectly knew the shivering cold the night before still hadn’t left. It was becoming windy and chilly these days, probably signs that winter were on its way.

 

Anyone on their sane mind would still have comforter wrapped around their body, curling into a ball and driving further to dreamland with a crazy extreme weather like this and an early morning like this. But apparently, not for a particular young lady who was walking down the street, wearing maroon hand-knitted beanie with matching sweater, black scarf, and dark grey winter boots. She was probably the only living creature seen along the street. She hid half of her face underneath her beanie and scarf to make sure she wouldn’t get frostbitten. Or maybe to hid her frown and worry that marred her face from the world.

 

She walked rather fast without looking anywhere but her feet and the street below her. She looked familiar with the street, probably having walked around so often. She turned left, passing a commercial bank that was still closed and continued her way.

 

She looked up after a good three minutes of walking. Standing before her was a bakery merged with coffee shop building. The familiar smell of just brewed coffee made its way to her nose, along with the delicious aroma of baked bread. She walked right in, hoping for some warmth already.

 

“Hanbyul!” a feminine high-pitched voice greeted her right away. “You’re just in time!”

 

Hanbyul smiled, approaching Yoojin who has been working there as waitress. Hanbyul and her were classmates in their junior high school back in Gwangju. They ran into each other in Seoul a few years later and kept in touch eversince. Hanbyul also introduced Yoojin to Hyejung and vice versa. They also would likely to meet up there, catching up some things with Yoojin and then, went off somewhere else afterwards. Sometimes, Hanbyul felt sorry for Yoojin that she had to work since her early teenager years because she had had no family left. Every time Yoojin caught the sadness and sorry gleaming in Hanbyul’s eyes, she never got tired to tell her that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter