Moment of Truth

BEHIND OUR FOREVER
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Where is our beloved infamous school DJ slash curious-in-everything friend, Chaerin-ah?”

 

Chaerin snorted at Bom and said, “As soon as you left, she said something of looking for a certain Chaeyoung girl and Jiyong.”

 

Bom raised one of her eyebrows. “Jiyong as in Kwon Jiyong, you mean?”

 

Chaerin nodded. “Oh, of course, she’d look for that guy. I wonder how long they’ve been dating,” Bom giggled dreamingly. Chaerin threw her a disagree look. “Bom,” she called with a warning tone. Bom sighed and quickly raised both of her hands in an act of surrender. “Alright, I’m sorry. Jeez, I just wanted to see her finally seeing a guy, you know. She needs to experience things.”

 

Chaerin shook her head in disagreement. It was true that they’ve been together since kids—going to the same girl school, hanging out when they were older and now, applying for the same public high school. Between them, Bom had always been the bubbliest and brightest one. With her doll-like appearance and beautiful crimson hair, she didn’t have to work a sweat to gain attention from both male and female population. But, it was her loud personality that was believed as a nature that would forever be associated with her. In fact, she was sometimes too loud for her own good.

 

Then, there was Dara. The shy and curious girl. She’d managed to break through the general assumption as a very shy and introvert yet beautiful girl when she became the school DJ. She gained more attention as a lot of students started to recognized her and often greeted her. She gained new friends instantly. Both her angelic face and voice made a very attractive combination that just like Bom, she was given a lot of attention from her fellow students but, the petite girl just had no idea that she often became trending topic on their daily conversation.

 

If Dara was considered as shy and introvert girl, Chaerin would be one level below her. They almost got the same attitude but, Chaerin was more matured than her actual age. That was why when Dara’s curiosity attacked herself, she’d run to Chaerin and ask. Normally, Bom would join the conversation and willingly give her opinions which Chaerin mostly punched her lightly for. Chaerin was the most responsible one, both in words and behaviors. Perhaps, it all came out as to how she was raised in her family.

 

“I’ve told you, Kwon Jiyong is-

 

“A bad news, yeah, yeah,” Bom rolled her eyes. “If that so and you’re so worried, then why did you let her meeting him so often?”

 

“Because they’re only friends and she found a good friend in him.”

 

“Are you sure she’s seeing him that way? Or, are you sure he’s also seeing her that way?” Bom asked, “What if she actually began to develop feelings for him? They’ve been working on a project together for almost two months, seeing each other everyday, hanging out together on their own, and even going home together! Did you forget that these days, both of us are stuck together when usually there are three of us walking home or getting a cab together? Did you forget all those time, Jiyong was always dropping her off to Love Beat or home? And most importantly, did you forget the way they looked at each other whenever they thought we weren’t watching?” Bom snorted, “Gah, if they were to be discreet, they would need to practice thousand times a day because they failed big time.”

 

Chaerin was silent for a long while, digesting and at the same time, analyzing every evidence Bom so willingly shoved . “Come on, Chaerin-ah. Let her live the moment this time.”

 

“I just don’t want her to be heartbroken, Bom. The rumours-“

 

“Hey,” Bom cut her off, surprisingly gently. “I believe that if the rumours are indeed true, Jiyong would never let himself suffer for months now, you know? He’d just catch his prey and get what he wanted in the first place. All this time I was observing him, I never smelled anything fishy about him. Besides, have you heard new rumours or the so-called scandals about him spread throughout the time we know him?”

 

Chaerin became silent again, contemplating her bestfriend’s words. When Bom asked her final question, it was as if she was struck by a lightning. There were hardly rumours about Jiyong since they knew him, since Dara met him. Was it possible that it was all because of her petite bestfriend? If it was and Dara was actually feeling something for him, why didn’t she tell them? Chaerin knew, Dara was not one to keep a secret for so long to herself. She would always have the urge to share it with them and it was all by her own initiative. She’d tell them a secret if she indeed wanted to.

 

That meant they’d eventually know if she let them know.

 

“Alright, I get your point. Just, don’t shove that guy down too often. Let her find love the way she know.”

 

***

 

“Hyejung-ah..”

 

Hanbyul called her bestfriend’s name, whispering, and failed to realize that her few first drop of tears had stained her cheeks. It felt like it had been centuries since she met her. And now, after those weeks of rage, disappointment, tears and loneliness, she finally felt complete.

 

Hyejung was laying on her bed, with her back facing them all. Even from her back, Hanbyul could tell that she was getting bigger than how she knew her. She could feel tears pricked her eyes as she couldn’t believe that her bestfriend would become a mother. A mother... Her bestfriend was going to have a baby... A new feeling of disbelief and proudness surged through her.

 

“Here,” Mrs. Kang handed her a bowl of meal that she supposed was Hyejung’s. “She hasn’t had a bite yet.”

 

Hanbyul nodded in understanding. “I’m counting on you, Miss Park. I’ll leave you two, then.” Mrs. Kang left the room, leaving her alone with her bestfriend. Hanbyul slowly approached Hyejung’s bed and pulled a chair next to the nightstand.

 

Sensing a presence and hearing a movement beside her, Hyejung groaned, “I told you, Mom, I don’t wanna eat.”

 

“A pregnant woman should not skip meals, dear.” Thankfully, Hanbyul could put herself together and produced a normal voice though her tears were actually uncontrollable in moments like this.

 

As expected, silence instantly enveloped them. Hanbyul could sense that Hyejung automatically grew stiff. She perfectly knew that her bestfriend would recognize her voice. Just like how she would do too if she were in her shoes.

 

Hanbyul heard the bed rustling but, she kept her head dow

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter