Who Am I?

Belle Dame
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I sat on the edge of my bed for the past three hours. It was probably 3 am in the morning but I couldn't sleep at all. Not with all these unanswered questions and my broken heart. I grabbed the phone that sat on my desk and dialed my parent's phone number. There was no way I was going to be fine if I didn't ask them questions myself. Even if the words of the young man earlier were lies. 

"Hello?" I could hear my father's lazy voice. I figured I had just woke them up but it was important.

"Daddy?" I give a sigh of relief, at least there was someone I knew I could rely to. 

"Minah. Oh, what is it?" I hear the shuffling of the sheets and knew I had woken my father up completely. "Are you alright? Is there something wrong?" His tone becomes more serious.

I cleared my throat and threw a thin blanket over me. "Yes. There's a lot that seems to be wrong. I don't know where to start dad. Everything just seems out of place. Like I'm not supposed to be here in the first place." 

"What makes you say that? Tell me. I'll listen."

"Dad...." I breathed, I didn't know how to tell him. How to ask him. "Is there something that I should know?" 

There was a long pause. A nerve wrecking one as I hear nothing on the other line. 

"Sweetie. What makes you ask that? Do you think I'm hiding something?" 

"Well Dad, I don't think I'd ask if I didn't think so." My hands became sweaty as my fingers continued to wrap its way around the phone. 

"Uhh..." I hear his voice quiver. I knew my dad. He'd never act this quiet when something serious was happening. He always knew what to do, how to control it. 

I couldn't take it anymore and bursted out. "Am I really your daughter?" My heart beat rose quickly as the question left my lips. I wanted to end the phone call right away but it was rude to call your parents in the middle of the night while they were sleeping. And if I really wasn't curious or confused, I'd probably have done it. But just a simple -yes, you are my daughter- would shut me up happily. 

"Who told you that?" His breathing got heavier as I hear my mother's voice in the back like she had just awoken. 

"It doesn't matter. Just answer me please? Am I or am I not?"

"It doesn't matter if you are our blood daughter but what's important is that you are ours. Not by blood but we love you Minah like you're truly ours. We really do. Look, who ever told you that is trying to break you down. Don't let them, they're just going to make you weak. But you're not. You are strong. You are our strong daughter." I feel the tears make its way at their answer. 

I still loved them like the were my own parents but how they never told me made everything so weird. So different. How was I supposed to take those words in. How was anyone supposed to take those words in if suddenly they realised that they were adopted or what if kidnapped into a whol

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter