Chosen

Belle Dame
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It's difficult coming from the lowest caste. I don't have a good education and would fish out old books thrown from the higher castes, trying my best to learn as much as I could. My sister would often read the same fairytale books over and over again, sometimes even asking me to write ones of my own so she could read it. 

I would attempt to sometimes; imagining anyone like me as a princess who has it better than anyone else, even better than the royal family. But I promised myself I wouldn't leave my parents nor leave little Seulgi. 

Morning came and I sat on the wooden floor of my small house, trying my best to scrub it with the old rag. I live with my mother, father, and my little sister but we could barely afford a house with rooms for all of us. I had a small room for my sister and I, while my parents shared their tiny room, but it was still bigger than the one I shared with my sister. 

"Unnie-yah!" my little sister yelled her lungs out while running to me. "It's the day! It's the day!" she dragged me to my feet and pulled me out of the house. I was still in my apron and had my hair up in a messy bun. Father was out and I had no idea where my mother was or where Seulgi came from. But she seemed too happy, I sensed something fishy. 

"What are you talking about?" I sighed and let her pull on me. But there was a bunch of people from the neighborhood huddling around the news station. Many of the people in the low castes could barely afford a tv; the radio was probably our best friend. "I don't have time to watch tv." 

"Don't resist. You know what today is, why aren't you excited?" she squirmed and then we found mother standing in the front, her eyes closed like she was praying. And I didn't even think about it. I totally forgot that today was the day the prince was going to do the drawing of five nonroyal girls before choosing his princess. But I continued to wonder why were their hopes were so high. I didn't enroll into the tradition and I wasn't worried about any of this. It wasn't like we had the chance to anyways. 

"Mom, why are you guys so nervous. I don't know why you two want me here. It's a waste of time, I didn't even enroll. So, I should get going before I don't finish my work." I bite my lips and shrugged Seulgi's arm away. But then my mother grasped onto my arm pulling me back in. 

She tiptoed and whispered "Don't get mad, Seulgi and I enrolled you in. It's worth a shot. You're a sweet, loving, and a beautiful girl. I want the best for you and Seulgi even if this sounds idiotic, I'm willing to." She held me down knowing I was going to make a fuss. 

I frozed and shook my head. "How could you guys?" I scratched my head in irritation although I knew the girls of the lower castes including me, weren't going to have the chance. I was angry. Not at them, of course having hope is a good thing but I didn't want my parents or Seulgi to have hopes that were too high to reach. It would just make them dissapointed, not that I cared if none of us were selected but seeing my parents want that life that we couldn't have makes me upset in how I couldn't provide for my parents. 

My mother sighed giving me a pat on my shoulder. I could see through her, she really wanted this and I wanted to cry myself. "Sorry mom." I wrapped one of my arms around her shoulders as a source of comfort. She was tiny, shorter than me and even Seulgi was getting taller than her. I saw Seulgi smile at me and nodding while she did so. She was more mature than any girl I've seen, maybe because she was my younger sister. She understood my hardships but she always told me she wanted to be like me. Strong and courageous, but I don't see that in me. 

I sent it back to tell her that it was fine and stood there silently, waiting for time to pass quickly so I could return back to my normal life. The people, mostly women in the 18s to 22s as well as their mothers crowded around the screen. I saw little but I didn't care since I wasn't the one that choose to come here. 

Then my youthful bestfriend Krystal appeared out of nowhere. Dang, I hate it when people appear like ghosts. "You scared me." I breathed in shock. 

"Sorry." She smiled embarrased and tried to get a peek at the tv screen too. "Excited Minah?"

I shook my head. "I want this to be over. But you should've stayed home. You know you do have a television at home,and it'll be chaotic after they start announcing." 

"I wanted to see you because I was too excited. I signed up when it was the first day for signups. It would be a dream come true if I was chosen. It's my only chance of becoming the princess of Hayven. Maybe you too?" She squirmed in excitement. 

If only I had a chance. I scoffed to myself meaning no harm. "That didn't mean you had to travel all the way to this part of the kingdom. It's dangerous here, more than where you live. But since you came all the way here for me, I promise this would be the last thing on my to do list. If anyone was chosen, I hope it would be you." I told her quietly so my mother wouldn't hear me. Krystal laughed, "Promise?" 

I nodded. "Of course." I stared at her seeing how excited she was. I had hoped that I was as optimistic as she was but I guess not. My father didn't always see things as good and he was always aware of all the possible bad outcomes. I don't blame him; I was really no different from my father.

"Finally, we are back here with our King and Queen of Hayven. Let's see how Prince Sehun is doing with this tradition."  The tv screen flashed a spark of pixels and there sat the King and Queen. Beside the King was the Prince. I could hear the girls giggling, their eyes glued to the prince. 

I've never seen him, or should I say pay attention to him. But now, I could see him clearly. His hair was dark and his facial structures came out strong. His jawline and eyes were too sharp. It's photoshoped. I told myself wondering if it was even possible with a video. I had saw that term a few times in the technology magazines that were thrown out. It still amazed me even if I didn't fully understand the concept. 

"He's so handsome. I really like him" Krystal clenched her hands together and I only stared at the girls in confusion. They were acting like the Prince could see through the tv to them. They were laughing and giggling with the mouths covered. 

I yawned, my mouth wide open. My mother slapped my on the arm lightly. "Manners." she says and I quietly nodded my head, now that she had to point it out, I felt embarrassed. 

"Yes, mother." I pouted and stared back at the screen.

"I know the public seems nervous. But I would like to ask our King and Queen some questions." The host stands to the side while the King and Queen  continue to sit on their thrones. They looked fit for eachother and seemed happy. The Queen was beautiful with her white gown while the King continued to look handsome. "How are you guys feeling about this? Are you two willing to accept anyone? Even the lowest of the lowest caste?"

I knew he was targeting the XI (11th) caste. My heart clenched at those words. How different are we? We're humans too. I rolled my eyes but some part of me was still anticipating the answer. Maybe because I wanted to know how open-minded our rulers were. 

"We are welcoming anyone. As long as they are willing to step up and be a good princess for the people. Also, there will be five girls of all of Hayven that will be chosen and the Prince will make the decision himself. The Queen and I are only supporters." The King smiled. 

"That's right. I don't have any daughters and Sehun is the only child I have. I'm excited." The Queen adds and all the ladies smile in admiration towards the Queen. Suddenly, the Prince stands up and the ladies start to squeal like dolphins that I had to close my ear holes with my fingers. 

"How about the Prince himself? Ladies?" The host toys with the hearts of the despeserate women and they squeal even louder.

"Well," the Prince chuckles nervously. "I'm all in. There's nothing stopping me since it's a tradition that I have to follow. I'm standing here with open arms." He smile

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter