Memory 87

You Said Remember Me

“Where’s is he?! Where did he go?” she heard a familiar voice shouting.

Victoria raised her hand and slowly opened her eyes feeling the soreness in her hands from being tied together. Her wrists were finally free from being bounded together. She could easily feel someone undoing the rope around her ankles as well.

“Donghae…Donghae…” she muttered so quietly that no one heard until they saw her waving her hand around.

“What? What is it?” she heard a voice asked.

He seemed near because she could feel the heat coming from him.

“He’s going to kill him… He’s going to kill him!” Victoria cried unable to open her eyes.

/////

Donghae walked down the wooden staircase and every step he took made the stairs creak. He glanced around and stepped onto the hard concrete floor. Two small wooden tables stood one after another and up on the wall hung various kinds of tools. From screwdrivers to hammers and wrenches. He took a step further into the basement and glanced around to see a large tank that heated the warm water in the house. Everything was quiet and he suddenly fell forward when he felt something hit the back of his head.

Landing face down he quickly forced himself to adjust to the pain before he pushed himself up in time to see the man behind him raise the handle of the screwdriver up into the air. Rolling aside Donghae got up onto his feet feeling dizzy and almost fell off balance. Running in between the little space between the two tables he pushed it forward and felt the impact from it hitting the man he assumed was Ren Gei. Ren Gei lunged forward at him and Donghae jumped onto the table behind him just fast enough sliding off it and knocked into the wall behind him. The tools overhead moved back and forth unsturdily. Looking back Donghae saw the large wrench to his right. Even before he could reach for it he felt a sharp sting into the pit of his kidney paralyzing him. Donghae’s eyes met his for the first time and he finally got a good look at him.

A long face with a crazy deep set brown eyes. Curvy eyebrows and neat trimmed hair. His nose was straight and sharp. Exactly like how he looked in the picture.

“You fell for it,” Ren Gei said staring into his eyes. “The anonymous call was a trap.”

Donghae’s eyebrow twitched.

“If you came here I’ll kill you, I promised myself that.” he told. “And I bragged about it to my Victoria too.”

Donghae felt the strength slowly draining from him as the screwdriver dug deeper into him.

“Who…told you to touch her? Who…allowed you to touch her!?” Ren Gei said his eyes going crazy black. “She belongs to me and only me! You will never have her!”

“You’re crazy,” Donghae muttered feeling his eyes beginning to close.

“You did wrong,” Ren Gei said twisting the screwdriver inside him feeling the satisfaction from watching him try not to pass out. “You shouldn’t have gotten so close to her. She loves only me. She will only look at me. I won’t let you take her away!”

“You…that’s not loving her…” Donghae whispered weakily.

“I’ll take you away from her like everyone else!” he screamed so loudly. “She…never came back when I waited. I waited with a heavy heart for half a year and she didn’t come. Why…” he sounded like he was going to break down. “But that’s not how it’s going to be from now on. She’s going to be mine.”

Donghae heard a whistling noise before Ren Gei suddenly dropped before him giving a loud cry on the ground. And right after him Donghae toppled over.

He awoke later with a loud beeping machine near him. He first saw the colorful patterns on the edges of the walls before his eyes landed on his uncle, Eunhyuk, and Chief Kang.

“What happened?” he muttered feeling tired and weak.

“So glad you’re awake,” Eunhyuk breathed a sigh of relief.

“Do you feel pain anywhere?” his uncle asked.

Chief Kang just stared at him.

“Where’s…” he began.

“She’s receiving treatment for hypothermia right now,” Eunhyuk replied, “her pulse dropped on the way here so they’re still monitoring her heart on the cardiac monitor, but it’ll be fine. Don’t worry.”

“I told you not to run off.” Chief Kang said almost calmly. “But since you’re alive I’m going to have to put you on vacation again.”

“Vacation…” Donghae repeated. “That sounds good.”

And Victoria woke up with a cold a day later and was released from the hospital a day after. Donghae turned when he heard the door open and smiled immediately when she walked in.

“Well, look who it is,” Victoria said walking over. “I brought your book ‘The Thief Lord’.”

She set it on the night table beside the bed and sat down.

“So much for trying to be a smart hero.” she sarcastically commented.

“Why’d you bring that?” he asked nodding toward the book.

“It’s yours, not mine.”

Donghae slowly sat up leaning against the pillow propped up against the wall.

“Are you ok? Did he do anything to you?” he asked.

“I’m ok.” she replied. “He didn’t do anything but starve me.”

Donghae reached forward and pushed her head gently. “You’re stupid.”

She laughed and quickly fixed her bangs, “I’m sorry.”

He stared at her only happy to be able to see her again.

“If you asked me about rehab I wouldn’t have been able to tell you anything. Even if I wanted to I wouldn’t have been able to say anything. I had nightmares about that place when I came back. It was that bad.” Victoria said.

“I heard.” Donghae told.

“And Chief Kang told me that you went crazy after I went missing.” she told him, a smirk on her face. “You must have felt really, really bad.”

Donghae eyed her and turned away unable to laugh. “I was worried and sorry. It was not even funny at all, so don’t you dare laugh.”

Even when he said that she still laughed.

“You…you never even remembered him?” Donghae asked. “Ren Gei, you didn’t remember him?”

“Han In Seol told me to forget him,” Victoria explained. “He told me not to talk about it since it was such a bad memory and ever since that I’ve become happier when I forgot it. Han In Seol was the first man that made me feel that way. Happy.”

Donghae just stared at her smile. “Are you trying to make me jealous?”

“Why should you be? Isn’t it always second the best?” Victoria asked.

“Like you make me feel any better,” he snorted.

“You’re silly Donghae. I hope you embed this into your memory for a long time that you’re silly.”

“Yah,” Donghae recalled, “you did wrong too. You and Eunhyuk…”

“I thought you didn’t want to talk about that ugly kid,” Victoria smirked.

Donghae laughed recalling that he’d once called Eunhyuk that. “He…seriously…didn’t make you happy, did he?”

She just smiled.

“What’s with that! You better have not had any sort of good feelings toward him…you…” he rambled on.
 
Ren Gei was convicted and sent to an asylum a week later…

Donghae had moved back to the summer house and started his new cases there returning to Incheon every so often to meet with Chief Kang. Eunhyuk visited often and Hee Sun dropped by on him once in a while. He, Hyuk, and Victoria met up for drinks every once in a blue moon. And life quickly returned to normal as if Victoria had never had a stalker at all.

“Hurry up! You’re slow,” Victoria called toward him.

Donghae jogged over with the sand burying his feet every few second. She waited till he almost reached her and took his hand. They continued their walk along the coastline of the beach with the sun raining down on them brightly.

“We should come here more often.” he heard her say.

“Why?”

“It’s nice here.”

“It’s nice anywhere.”

Victoria turned to frown at him and he just smiled in return.

“When do you think we can get married?” he asked gripping her hand in return.

“Why?”

“If you say yes to me now we can get married tomorrow.”

Victoria laughed and turned away, “Don’t joke if you can’t keep up with it. You know you can’t keep up with the things you try to do.”

“Well…we’ll never know. Possibilities start with impossibilities.” he told.

“Mmm…I don’t know. We’ll see. If you can make me giddy-up happy then…” before she could even finish he kissed her.

“You talk too much.” he commented.

“You cheat.” she said.

“I’ll take that as a yes then,” he told, “you’re going to say yes to me anyway.”

With that he kissed her again.


***I'm done ^^ and I do feel a bit sad to part with this story (and I didn't want to part with it earlier, that's why I ended up extending the storyline. On word processor this story is 386 pages long-wow-one of my longest stories ever written, I really feel great). This has got to be one of the best I've written so far xD The writing style is a bit different from what I usually write, I think that's why this story almost lasted 100 chapters ^^ I silently feel proud of myself xD

***“If you say yes to me now we can get married tomorrow.” --> I got this from Shindong, I wish him and his gf the best wherever they go on their journey :D

***Thank you readers ^^

***Thanks Anne for chatting with me and talking about my stories with me ^^ I really appreciate it!

***And I'll be waiting for my review Izzy xD