Memory 39

You Said Remember Me

Drunken in a daze Victoria sighed over and over as Eunhyuk managed his way back to the car with her arm slung over his shoulder. When he finally got her in the car Eunhyuk put his hands to his back and heaved a deep sigh.

“I wonder how Hae got you home last time.”

Eunhyuk climbed into the driver’s seat and started the engine then suddenly wondered where he’d go. He wouldn’t be able to go back home with Victoria and he certainly wouldn’t be able to go to Donghae’s uncle’s home. News would certainly spread around if he spent the night at uncle’s home. Sighing Eunhyuk glanced at Victoria wondering why she’d drunk so much.

He stopped somewhere at the side of the street and turned the engine off. Pulling the handle at the side of his seat he leaned back into the chair pushing it back and went to sleep.

Victoria awoke with the sun shining into her eyes and once she opened her eyes she felt a headache attack her. Her head felt so heavy and her brain was throbbing so hard she felt like her head would burst any moment. It came like a flushing moment in reverse. The acid quickly slid up and threatened to come out. Covering Victoria tried to open the door then found that it wouldn’t budge. Frustrated she pushed and pushed the door then realized that it was locked. Pulling the lock up she managed to open the door and fell onto the ground throwing up.

Eunhyuk stirred from the purging sounds she made and finally opened his eyes to feel the heavy sun on him. Trying to block the sun out with his hand he turned to see that the car door was open and finally realized that Victoria was out. He pushed his door open but found that it wouldn’t budge. Frowning he found that it was locked. Quickly unlocking it he opened the car door and ran around the car to see the mess on the ground.

“Are you…ok?” he asked disgusted.

Victoria wiped with his jacket stood up, “What time is it?”

Also curious and surprised that he’d forgotten about what time it was Eunhyuk took out his phone and his eyes went wide.

“What?” Victoria questioned grimacing from the sun rays.

“11.”

“What!”

Eunhyuk rushed back to the driver’s side and got into the car. Victoria followed him in closing the door after her.

“We have to get back to Seoul.” Victoria told.

“I need to change!” Eunhyuk said.

They turned to look at each other in distress.

Victoria found herself sitting in the passengers seat somewhere before the large brown themed home. Its roof long and steep hung low over the edge of the home as if it were hiding the house itself. Two large windows prettily decorated with green ivy were all she could make out from the long branches of the tree that hid the car from view.

Feeling bored she turned to look through the window at the back of the car. No one was in sight. How long was he planning to take? She was pretty sure that even she didn’t shower this long.

Sighing loudly she rested her arm against the window. The headache inside her head was screaming at her to find some pain killers. Swearing to herself silently the door to the house finally swung open and Eunhyuk finally walked out from the home toward the car…very slowly. Victoria felt an urge to step out and scream at him but of course she didn’t.

“That felt good,” Hyuk said when he got in, “do you want some breakfast?”

Biting her lip Victoria replied, “No, lets just hurry back.”

“You want something to eat before these, don’t you?” asked Eunhyuk shaking a bottle of pills before her.

Giving in to her crying stomach Eunhyuk drove to a fast food restaurant and ordered some food. While sipping at his soda he drove toward the park and stopped the car so they could eat.

“It’s been a while before I’ve eaten such fast food,” Eunhyuk broke the silence that had long filled the car.

“For some reason I find that you and your best friend always pay for my food,” Victoria told.

“Really? I guess you should count yourself as lucky.”

“No, not lucky. I don’t want to explain why. I’m done, you?” Victoria said wiping her hands with the napkins in the bag.

“Yep.” Eunhyuk replied after stuffing the rest of the burger into his mouth.

When they finally returned to Seoul, Eunhyuk searched Victoria’s apartment room by room to make sure no one had entered her home. After confirming that no one had broken in Victoria shut Eunhyuk out into the living room. He found himself playing with Melodix who ran around crazily barking as if nothing had happened last night.

“Well good thing you’re a dog,” Eunhyuk said jabbing his hands out for the dog to run after.

When Victoria got out Eunhyuk got up from the ground as if to greet her.

“I’ll wash and return your jacket so you can leave now,” she told.

“What?”

“You heard me.”

“But you can’t stay alone,” Eunhyuk told.

Victoria hardened her angry stare on him, “Go back.”

“Just by kicking that door he could break in as easily as that,” Eunhyuk explained pointing back at the front door.

Victoria gazed at the door then back to him. She knew what he was up to. “I don’t want to.”

“What?”

“You heard me. I don’t want to. You head back by yourself.”

Eunhyuk looked at her in disbelief.

“You’re easy to read like the investigator.”

“Ok,” he said turning to the ground then back to her, “I’ll leave you alone…only when I hear from Chief Kang that that man has been put behind bars.”

“Don’t lie to me.”

“I won’t, I swear.” Eunhyuk replied trying to stick on the most confident face he could.

/////

Donghae had barely slept and was staring at the window for the longest hour. They weren’t coming and it was already so late into the afternoon. Whenever the nurse opened the door he’d turned expecting to see the two walk through the door but every time was only met with the admiring stare of the young nurse. Where on earth were they?

When the door opened for the fortieth time he was finally greeted by the sight he’d been waiting for. Eunhyuk smiled at him and quickly asked how he’d been doing. Victoria slowly followed closing the door after her.

“Where were you? Why are you only arriving now?” he couldn’t help but ask.

“I went home. Sorry,” Eunhyuk replied. “We didn’t miss out on anything did we?”

“No.” Donghae told then turned to look at Victoria who stared back unmoved.

“Sorry,” Victoria apologized. “That’s what you wanted to hear right?”

Before Donghae could answer her phone immediately started ringing and he listened to her answer quietly then began talking cheerfully.

“No, don’t come here. I’ll meet with you down in the lobby,” Victoria replied then hung up and turned to them. “I guess this is farewell for now.”

When she opened the door Donghae quickly interrupted, “Who was that?”

Victoria thought for a moment then replied, “Kim Heechul.”

With that she was off.

“Kim Heechul?” Eunhyuk repeated turning to Donghae with an eyebrow raised. Noticing Donghae’s expression Eunhyuk continued, “Jealous?”

Donghae turned to him with what he might call a glare.

“Hyuk, sorry for being an idiot yesterday and thanks for helping Victoria,” Donghae said without taking his eyes off his friend.

“You don’t even need to thank me,” Eunhyuk told. “I don’t take thanks from you.”

Donghae smiled. “But I just want to know why she was wearing your jacket last night.”

At the mention of the jacket Eunhyuk pictured the vomit on the ground from earlier in the afternoon. “Oh, that.” Eunhyuk laughed awkwardly. If he told Donghae that the man had torn up part of Victoria’s shirt he wasn’t sure how Donghae would react and it’d feel a bit weird if Eunhyuk had explained it. “But you don’t have to worry. I’m not the type that takes away the girl my friend is interested in. You know I love you more than that.”

Donghae eyed him suspiciously but let it slide, “Don’t you go talking random things to anyone, you hear? And don’t talk like that to me.”

Eunhyuk smiled as if shy, “Of course.”

/////

As promised Victoria met with Heechul outside of the hospital.

“Why are you here again?” he asked walking up the stairs to meet her.

“Oh…I just came to visit with Eunhyuk,” Victoria explained.

“Eunhyuk?” Heechul repeated.

“Where’s your car?” Victoria asked walking down the stairs ahead of him.

Quickly forgetting about this ‘Eunhyuk’ Heechul hurried down after her.

“What’s with the sudden call?” Victoria questioned. “Is something up?”

“I just wanted to meet for lunch,” Heechul told now walking at her side. “Do you have any place you want to go?”

“My office.”

“Office?”

“Lets order something and go eat there, ok?” Victoria asked excited.

Victoria walked down the hallway she’d been absent from since the past week. It felt like entering a castle in Germany. All so new that it brought the thrills into her skin. She opened the door to her office and invited Heechul in to sit before she headed back out to greet In Ji, who was busily looking through papers.

“You’re back!” In Ji greeted excitedly as she walked out from behind her desk. “You’re finally out of the hospital? Are you feeling better?”

“Of course. How are my classes going?”

“You have such big classes, but they’re all a piece of cake.” the young woman replied. “Don’t forget to take me out for dinner when you come back.”

“I won’t. I owe you big time.”

“Did you come alone?” asked In Ji looking down the hallway.

Victoria turned to look behind her, “Yep. One of my friends tagged along. Shall I introduce you?”

In Ji nodded with a wide smile and followed Victoria to her office next door.

“This is Kim Heechul. Heechul this is Seo In Ji, another psychology professor.” Victoria introduced.

Getting up from his chair swiftly Heechul nodded politely and shook her hand, “Nice to meet you.”

In Ji’s hopeful smile from earlier turned into that of a greeting one.