Memory 68

You Said Remember Me

/////

Victoria glanced at Eunhyuk and followed him to the back door where he always entered the house.

Feeling hesitant to enter she asked, “Are you sure it’s not anything bad you’re going to show me?”

“Don’t worry,” he assured unlocking the door.

After letting her walk in first Eunhyuk followed her in. He led her up the steps where they met his father at the top of the steps. He didn’t look as surprised as the first time she’d seen him but a genuine smile stayed glued to his face.

“I’m glad to see you again,” he said. “We didn’t get a proper introduction the last time, but I’m Eunhyuk’s father.”

Going along with the flow she also introduced herself, “I’m Victoria Song.”

“Come in Eunhyuk. We were just about to have lunch,” his father told.

“Dad,” Eunhyuk called, “Victoria’s…my girlfriend.”

Victoria immediately turned to look at him feeling dumbstruck with surprise.

What was going on? What was he doing? When she felt his arm around her shoulder she heard a girl’s voice.  

Turning she immediately recognized Hee Sun, her mother, and Donghae staring at them. Eunhyuk’s father’s face settled into an unhappy expression as if the most important moment had just been interrupted.

Eunhyuk’s face settled into one mixed between an upset expression and happiness before he eventually smiled, “Well, since all of us are here why don’t we just have lunch together?”

Victoria didn’t know what to do. If she just pushed Eunhyuk away it’d make him look bad and make his parents feel awkward. If she did anything else Hee Sun would continue glaring at her and Donghae…she didn’t want him to misunderstand. She felt Eunhyuk wheel her toward the table and sat her down before taking a seat next to her. He glanced at her once and that was it. His parents, Hee Sun, and Donghae finally joined them at the table. This time his parents in front of them and Donghae and Hee Sun to the side.

“I’m so happy to see you back,” Eunhyuk’s mother smiled warmly, “I knew there was something special about you and Eunhyuk when you first walked in.”

“Oh…” Victoria managed to smile a fake one.

Was Donghae feeling sad watching her from the side? Victoria wanted to say something to clarify the situation but couldn’t even do anything.

Donghae watched them attentively, his heart threatening to scream if Eunhyuk did anything.

“How long has it been?” his mother went on.

“Just a month and a half. Don’t be so anxious mom,” Eunhyuk said in a joking manner.

“Eunhyuk is usually a quiet boy, doesn’t talk very much. Does he talk a lot to you?” his father asked.

Feeling herself at the center of attention Victoria looked up. Why did she feel miserable sitting there? She wanted to look at Donghae but couldn’t even turn her head.

“He talks a lot,” she said each word slowly.

Eunhyuk would certainly get it from her later. If this was the surprise he was talking about he was more than dead.

“Isn’t that good to hear honey?” his mother turned to his father, the smile never came off her face.

“Where do you live, Victoria?” his father asked.

“In Seoul,” she answered.

“Seoul?” his mother seemed surprised. “What do you do for a living, Victoria?”

They were using her name so comfortably that it felt strange. It was as if they were already very close.

“I teach at the university.”

“Seoul University?” his mother seemed happy before she glanced at Hee Sun. “So you must know Hee Sun?”

Victoria didn’t look at the young girl. “I see her around sometimes.”

“That’s great! Eunhyuk you did a good job!” his mother praised. “Our family feels like we’re all knit and ready to become one already.”

“What are you saying mom?” asked Eunhyuk.

“One?” Hee Sun asked as if offended.

“Ah…Hee Sun, I forgot. Victoria is Eunhyuk’s girlfriend. Have you two met before? Maybe Eunhyuk has taken you to meet her personally before?” his mother continued.

Hee Sun glanced at Victoria with an expression of hate then smiled so cheerily. “Eunhyuk never tells me anything. I might have seen her before, I don’t really remember mom. Why are you so interested?”

“Hee Sun-ah, wouldn’t you be excited to have a sister-in-law? You would have someone like a sister around to keep you company,” his mom continued.

His mother was so ahead of herself Victoria didn’t know if she could listen to her anymore.

“Mom, that’s enough. Lets just eat.” Eunhyuk cut in.

“Ah…yes. Eat up everyone. Donghae why are you so quiet today?” Eunhyuk’s father helped.  

“Uh…no. I was too busy listening to the conversation, that’s all,” he said.

Victoria looked from her plate to the delicious food on the table. Had Eunhyuk’s mother made all these while they were on the way there? Had she prepared this all just for her? They’d been waiting just for her? Victoria glanced at his parent’s faces. They seemed like kind people, if she said anything about Eunhyuk lying what would they think? Would they be disappointed in him? Would they argue about why he’d lied? Deciding to play along with the script that had already been laid forward she reached for some food and put them on Eunhyuk’s plate. He turned to look at her as if questioning her silently.

“Eat up,” she said before turning away.

She noticed his parent’s smile and didn’t dare to see the other’s faces. After lunch she offered to stay back and help but his mother didn’t allow her to. Instead she made Hee Sun help her while Eunhyuk took her around. She couldn’t spit at him just yet. She wanted to wait till they were out of Incheon.

Before walking out she walked pass Donghae and they finally made eye contact. His eyes reminded her of herself when he’d asked her to stay with him just a while more when he’d been so lost while waiting for a decision about what to do with Hee Sun. She couldn’t say anything and pushed herself to walk away before she’d feel desperately hungry for some comfort from him. Following Eunhyuk to the car she got in and he drove off.

/////

As he watched the car exit the driveway he felt his heart pounding so loud. He felt the need to go after her and talk to her. Without much thinking he began to walk forward a few steps at a time and quickly increased his pace to a run. After running a block he finally gave up when the car he’d been chasing disappeared in traffic. Running felt good and he felt motivated to run all the way back to Seoul, but he knew it was impossible. Victoria hadn’t looked at him at all and that hurt the most. Catching his breath he stared desperately between all the rows of cars before him and he couldn’t spot them anywhere. He just stood there staring at the cars moving ahead while he remained.

/////

Hee Sun had walked out to look for her oppa when she didn’t see him anywhere. Finally stepping out of the house she noticed him running down the driveway. Frowning while wondering what he was doing she quickly walked down the driveway and followed him until he jumped onto the next block. Standing a block away she stared at his back. Even though he didn’t tell her anything with his facial expressions his back told her he wanted to run.

Walking back into the house she found her mother still in the kitchen humming happily to herself.

“Mom,” she called walking over and taking a seat, “did Eunhyuk leave?”

“He must have,” she replied. “He’s got to take Victoria back home.”

“Do you like her, mom?”

“Who? Victoria?” her mom questioned.

Hee Sun nodded. “Mmm.”

Her mother turned to her with a smile, “I like her. She’s pretty and nice and intelligent.” then she put her hands on Hee Sun’s face. “Wouldn’t it be nice to have her as your sister-in-law?”

Sister-in-law? Hee Sun didn’t want her as her sister-in-law but she couldn’t say that to her mother’s face. Victoria Song, the girl she’d seen too many times with Donghae. She didn’t want to believe her oppa was in love. But why was he chasing them so desperately? Her oppa…wasn’t he just hers now?

/////

Victoria stepped out from the car, closed the door, and began walking away fuming. Before reaching the door of her house she spun around arrogantly.

“What was that!” she exclaimed.  “Do you want to explain to me what you were doing back there?”

Eunhyuk stared back at her knowing he was wrong. “I didn’t expect Hae or Hee Sun to be there.”

“That’s not the point here!” she pointed out. “You didn’t want to show me anything, but you wanted to show me off as a lie to your parents. Do you know how wrong that is?! What were you doing? What’s wrong with you?”

“I know it’s wrong, but it won’t be a lie,” Eunhyuk stated.

“What?” she asked letting her upset expression show clearly. “It won’t be a lie? Are you crazy Eunhyuk?! I was clueless, you made me feel stupid that I had to play along with you in order to save your face and your parents from being upset with you if I blabbered the truth. I thought you were my friend but you’re just making a fool out of me! What reason do you have for doing this to me?”

“Why?” he asked. “Are you afraid that Hae misunderstood you? Are you deeply scared over the fact that he might have believed what he heard?”

Victoria glared at him, “What do you want from me, Eunhyuk?”

Eunhyuk couldn’t say anything.

“I don’t understand your actions this time around. Are you doubting the fact that I won’t be able to leave him alone for your sister? Are you scared that I’ll hurt your sister? Do you believe that I’m not strong enough to hold back and know what’s right? Is that why you’re trying to create these kinds of problems for me? If you’re so afraid I’ll give you my word here! I won’t look at them and I won’t go to Incheon, good enough?” she asked.

“I like you,” he said throwing her off making her dumbstruck.


***Donghae is beginning to realize his wrong. Eunhyuk is waking him up.