Memory 66

You Said Remember Me

/////

Donghae watched Eunhyuk walk away. The pain throbbing on his face didn’t hurt as much as the fact that Eunhyuk was going to hold Victoria’s hand. He had never wanted her to see him like that yesterday. Because of the fact that it was their first time seeing each other ever since the break up it made things worse. The pain sketched onto her face was enough for him to want to run away.

“Oppa, you’re here?” Hee Sun’s voice came from behind him.

Donghae turned around, “Oh, Hee Sun-ah. Did I come too early?”

“Better early than late,” Hee Sun pointed out walking toward him clinging onto his arm. “We can go now.”

Donghae smiled and nodded.

While waiting for Hee Sun to finish her check up he glanced through magazines. The wailing of a baby broke his concentration and he put the magazine down walking away from where he’d been sitting. Crossing the hallway and turning a corner he saw a large window that allowed others to view the babies sleeping inside. Memories came flooding back to him. Victoria’s pale face the first time he’d seen her, the image of her sitting on that hospital bed, the flashback of the doctor telling him about Victoria’s miscarriage, and how she had cried to In Seol about it. He finally remembered Victoria had been pregnant.

/////

Hee Sun turned around the corner to see her oppa standing in front of the mirror as if searching for his child. Walking up to him she glanced a bit as his face. He didn’t notice her. What was he thinking about that he was so lost in thought?

“Oppa?” she called but he didn’t respond.

Moving her eyes from him she glanced at the babies sleeping inside and the feeling of being a mother came to her. How special she would feel to hold her own child in her own arms. And without much thought a smile climbed onto her face.

/////

When he’d dropped Hee Sun off at school Donghae had driven downtown to interview some Chinese people he’d located. Without much luck to finding In Ji’s murderer he returned to the summer house late that evening, but something made him drive pass the house. Minutes later he found himself standing in front of Victoria’s door with a small sound of courage somewhere within him. Finally ringing the doorbell three minutes after standing there he waited for the door to open and when it did her expression didn’t look too surprising.

“Can we go out and talk if it’s alright?” he asked.

After driving their own separate cars they met up at the bench where they’d talked once. Without sitting down Victoria stood with her back to him from where she was standing.

“You’re doing well?” he began nervously.

“I’m well.” her short reply.

Slowly turning to look at her he said, “I’m sorry we had to meet that way the other day. I really didn’t want to see you like that.”

“I don’t think it quite matters,” she said and it really sounded like she didn't care at all.

Their hearts hung on a rope above them threatening to fly away if they didn’t do anything.

“You’re happy?” she asked.

Donghae returned his eyes to the ground that separated them, “No.”

With her back almost to him she slightly turned to view him.

“Did you cry that night?” Donghae wondered even though he knew the truth.

“Did Eunhyuk say something?”

Donghae didn’t reply. Hearing his name from her own lips sent a bitter feeling fly through him.

Turning her head away Victoria said, “I don’t know but I drank really bad that night so it must be true.” Victoria paused and slightly turned back to him. “But if I do cry anymore it won’t be because I care.”

“I see,” Donghae replied. “I might be going back to Incheon, but I will continue working hard on my investigation.”

She didn’t reply.

“I forgot you were once pregnant,” he said. “So this time…I…for Hee Sun…you understand, right?”

Sadness overwhelmed her. “Do you need to ask?”

“You were always cool without me,” he said then added, “Thank you…and I’m sorry, Victoria.”

Sticking her hands into the pocket of her sweater Victoria turned and walked away. Turning around feeling like crying he watched her drive away almost letting the urge to run after her take over.

/////

Swerving her car to the side of the road Victoria the radio letting the music blast in her car. Sitting back in her chair she shut her eyes with tears at the edge of her eyes.

When she turned into her driveway she recognized Eunhyuk sitting on the front doorstep waiting for her. Slowly parking her car she took her time walking toward him. Instead of inviting him inside she sat down next to him.

“I see you so often now, is there a reason why?” she asked setting her bag aside.

“Is it alright for me to come if I’m bored?” he returned another question.

Victoria pressed her lips together then said, “I don’t mind if you do, but do you come by so often now because there’s something you feel guilty about?”

Eunhyuk lowered his head.

“When you dropped by after drinking you were apologizing non-stop. Why would you need to feel sorry toward me?” she asked curiously while playing with her nails.

He took a loud sigh, “I just do.”

“Is it because of Donghae or is it because of Hee Sun?” she asked saying each word slowly then added, “Or are they both the reason?”

Eunhyuk didn’t say anything so she remained silent along with him.

“You don’t need to be hurt because of them so don’t cry,” he told. “I’ll be here as your friend. I just don’t want to see you standing alone.”

“I know you don’t mean anything bad, but you shouldn’t worry about me. You don’t need to feel sorry at all, that’s the truth Eunhyuk.” she pointed out. “If you should put it in words I’d say it’s not because of your sister or because of Donghae. It’s the fact that even though we were together for 3 mere months I’ve just become too attached. I was left in this state since the beginning so I just randomly took his hand and now I’m here. Don’t feel guilty and don’t apologize. You didn’t do anything wrong.”

Donghae had tried telling him the same thing but he found Victoria’s words had more impact. Victoria got up from where she was sitting leaving the spot beside him empty. After telling him to go in whenever he wanted she unlocked the door and left it unlocked for him.

The wave of the old silence greeted her when she stepped back into her home. It had been like that after In Seol left and it had been like that before she met Donghae. And it’d always be the same silence even after Donghae or anyone else that came after. The silence and the loneliness the two of them knew so well would always be the same.

Victoria awoke the next morning ready to get the week over with. She went to the cafeteria alone and ran into some students then after lunch she returned to her office for a bit before heading back home. It was one of the most regular days she’d had before she’d ever found Il Chung and Sandy.

During the weekend she went grocery shopping again and bought some treats for Melodix before departing for Incheon. As usual she visited In Seol and sat with him, this times with drinks in hand.

/////

Setting his small suitcase into his car Donghae turned back to look at the summer house that had given him even more memories to remember. Before he’d made the decision to come to the summer house the house was just the summer house he’d visited every so often with his uncle when he was younger. Now it was the home that housed his packed feelings. Turning away without a single thought he climbed into the car and made the drive back to Incheon after a long night without sleep.

His uncle wasn’t home when he arrived back, but Donghae had already let him know before hand that he was coming back. Without needing to feel much Donghae walked up the stairs and unpacked. When he came across the framed photo of him and Victoria he opened his drawer and placed it inside. Almost pushing the drawer close he suddenly changed his mind. Picking the photo frame up he set it on his desk.

When his uncle returned home at dinner they finally had their first meal in the house together.

Hee Sun’s belly became more visible and she was unable to hide it. Donghae accompanied her to checkups normally and kept his word by keeping her company, but he couldn’t promise to focus on only her. His mind drifted back and forth and he secretly wondered if Victoria was doing as well as he thought she was.

“Oppa, do you think my baby is a boy or a girl?” asked Hee Sun walking beside him up the stairs of the hospital.

“I’m not sure.” He replied opening the door for her.

“Should we let the doctor find out for us? Or should we wait until the baby comes?” Hee Sun asked.

“It’s your choice, Hee Sun,” he told as if reminding her.

“Oppa, aren’t you curious as well?” asked Hee Sun looking at him.

Donghae just smiled in reply and he knew Hee Sun seemed annoyed at his neutral answer so he added, “Should we just ask the doctor then?”

Immediately she smiled and as always he waited in the hallway for her. Hee Sun was naïve, Eunhyuk had repeated that to him many times. Hee Sun was having the baby that an unknown man had given her and yet she still smiled because he was there. If he weren’t there with her would she have given up the baby? Hee Sun, the naïve girl, relied on him too much and sometimes he felt trapped by her feelings. It was like he was concealed in a cage and really had no other option but to hold her hand and lead her. Hee Sun was just like that. A younger sister who was naïve and couldn’t live without him.

Hee Sun walked toward him with ultrasound scans in her hands along with some other forms of papers. A bright smile shone on her face when she stopped in front of him.

“I gained 5 pounds,” she exclaimed, “and next time the doctor would like you to accompany me in. Would you oppa?”

“Ok, I’ll accompany you,” Donghae nodded.

If he wanted to keep Hee Sun going and keep the baby alive he couldn’t make her cry. Hee Sun wouldn’t be able to last a day alone.

When Donghae returned with Hee Sun to his house Eunhyuk was no where in sight.

“Come Hee Sun,” her mother said leading her toward the table, “I’ve made a nutritious soup for you. Donghae, come join us.”

When Donghae joined them at the table Hee Sun’s mother also gave him a bowl of soup to eat.

“How did the checkup go?” she asked.

“The baby’s healthy mom,” Hee Sun replied. “I’m doing a good job, right mom?”

“Yes, you are,” her mother replied her hair.

Hee Sun smiled overjoyed before returning to her food. Donghae had long lost his appetite and was glad when Hee Sun’s father asked to talk to him.

“Eunhyuk has been out of the house a lot,” he told, “is he upset for some reason? Or does he have a girlfriend?”

At the mention of girlfriend Donghae felt frozen and quickly knew he disliked the thought of it at once.