Memory 19

You Said Remember Me

Victoria turned to look at him with those blank eyes of hers. “I just do it.”

“Did your boyfriend visit you a lot?” the words slipped from his mouth.

Victoria’s stare turned into that of a frown, “Boyfriend?”

“Uh…I’m just assuming you had one,” Donghae lied. He was afraid of her anger or more like he didn’t want to see her angry at him.

“I had a friend who visited often,” was all Victoria said.

“What was that friend’s name?” Donghae asked.

“Why do you want to know?”

“I’m curious. You don’t seem like the type of person who have many people who are close to you. You’re very quiet, you should speak some more.”

“I don’t like it when people tell me that.”

“I mean no harm when I say it. To be honest, it seems like it’ll be hard for a person to get close to you.” Donghae stated.

Victoria turned away from him and now stared at the blanket over her, “I don’t really care about it anymore.”

Maybe he shouldn’t have opened his mouth because he was feeling a bit bad now for some reason. He watched as she continued to stare into the book, but he knew she wasn’t reading it. She had zoned out and was now thinking of something. Suddenly Donghae wanted to know if she was thinking of her boyfriend, the boyfriend who had passed away and left her behind. How was he able to become so close to her? Donghae wanted to know because he decided it wouldn’t be so bad getting acquainted with her.

Donghae had reluctantly left the hospital and returned to the summer house to find himself unable to find sleep that night. When morning arrived Donghae returned to her apartment and let Melodix run around loose outside for a few minutes. He hadn’t returned her key to her and he felt sort of glad that she hadn’t asked him for it. After he’d taken care of Melodix he’d gone into a store and bought some flowers to put in the apartment as well as some home decorations. He hung up the calendar on the wall in her bedroom and left a dog stuffed animal on her bed before he allowed Melodix to play with the new toy he’d bought her. When he sat down he finally felt as if the apartment looked happier.

He’d gone to the hospital straight after and was surprised to see that Victoria was not in her room. Frowning he stepped out to find the nurse that had attended to her yesterday morning.

“Have you seen Victoria?” he asked.

“She told me she was going out for some air. You’ll be glad to know she’s doing a lot better today, but she refused the IV drip this morning. Since you’re close to her she might listen if you talk to her about it,” the nurse explained.

Donghae nodded and quickly headed toward the elevator.

/////

Victoria’s arm felt sore and she hated having the needle in her arm. It was a nuisance and she was glad to have refused it that morning. The air felt fresh and she liked the smell of the outside air. It felt as if she’d been locked inside a cage for two days.

Sitting on a bench to the side of the hospital she watched as some patients and boys played basketball together. If she were doing better she’d liked to have joined them, but with her broken arm it was impossible to do anything. She recalled playing basketball with In Seol a few times and she missed the way he while playing. The laughter from the boys broke into her thoughts and just when she returned to reality the basketball came hurdling in mid-air toward her. Turning away her face she shut her eyes waiting for it to hit her but nothing came. Opening her eyes she turned to see the ball in someone’s hands.

“You guys should be careful! You might knock her head off!” Donghae said throwing the ball back to the boys.

“Thanks!” they shouted.

Victoria stared up at him feeling as if her mood had been trampled on.

“What are you doing out here?” he asked.

“I came to get my head knocked off,” Victoria blurted. “Why do you keep coming back?”

“The nurse made a complaint that you refused the IV drip this morning,” Donghae changed the subject.

Victoria stared at him then got off the bench, “It’s my business, you can take it for me if you’re so concerned.” Victoria stopped then turned to him. “You’re concerned? Is that why you keep coming back? Are you worried I might try to run away?”

“Run away? I don’t even think you could do anything in that shape,” Donghae pointed out.

“Then leave me alone!” Victoria snapped and walked away.

She didn’t understand why he kept appearing before her. It wasn’t like she’d try to run away, Seoul was her last stop and she didn’t plan on going anywhere else.

“Wait,” she heard his voice as he hurried in front of her. “Don’t tell me you’re angry.”

Victoria now glared at him and without saying anything she pushed pass him and headed up the stairs.

“You didn’t answer me,” he said hurrying in front of her.

“What is wrong with you?” Victoria remarked. “I am already annoyed that you keep appearing everywhere I am. Just tell me what you want and go back to wherever you’re staying.”

“Is that how you should be treating me after I took care of your dog and came to stay with you that one night?”

Victoria hated the way he stated his sentence. “I don’t owe you anything.”

Donghae laughed ignoring her remark, “The nurse wants to see you and told me to come get you. I will leave after you allow her to put the IV drip on you.”

Victoria stared at him falling for his bait. After debating for a minute she found herself sitting on the hospital bed with the nurse pinning the needle into her skin and hanging the IV drip on the pole.

“She listens to you well.” the nurse turned to smile at Donghae who was sitting down on the couch. “Are you two seeing each other?”

Victoria watched as Donghae flashed her one of his mischievous expressions before turning back to the nurse.

“Lee Donghae!” Victoria shouted his name for the first time ever. “You better not say anything that is not the truth!”

He turned back to the nurse with his smile, “Looks like she won’t allow me to tell you anything, sorry.”

The nurse chuckled then smiled at Victoria before walking out.

“Why do you talk to her like that?! We don’t know each other! You don’t know me, I don’t know you! That ends it!” Victoria stated. She wasn’t quite sure how to express her frustration at the moment.

“As promised I’ll leave you alone,” Donghae said standing up. “The nurse did say you can lose the IV drip tomorrow so just bear with your sore arm until then.”

Victoria watched as he left the room and finally felt a small sensation of relief. Her eyes wandered about the room then she pulled out ‘The Thief Lord’ from the bedside table drawer and looked at it. She enjoyed it so far and was glad that he’d brought it for her- one of the most un-annoying gestures that he’d done for her so far.