Memory 49

You Said Remember Me

Chief Kang nodded toward the other officers before walking over to her, “I got the general story, but you need to tell me the details of what you know.”

Victoria shook her head, “I don’t know, I don’t know.”

Chief Kang took a strong hold of her arm forcing her to look up at him, “I’m sorry, I know you’ve had enough of this but this cannot be ignored right now. I need you to tell me what you know, how you found her, ok?”

Victoria looked up at him and gulped afraid she’d cry again.

/////  

After dinner when Eunhyuk had finished up with the mess in the kitchen he walked around while Donghae’s uncle and his parents continued talking about some business issues. He had left Donghae in the kitchen to finish washing the dishes while he went looking for Hee Sun. Eunhyuk didn’t find her in her room so he walked out back toward the small sliding doors that led to a small patio outside. There he found Hee Sun sitting at the end of the steps.

“I was wondering where you went missing to,” Eunhyuk said sitting next to her. “You always complain about not being a little girl anymore when mom does that to you, so why didn’t you do it tonight?”

“Maybe I don’t feel annoyed tonight,” was her answer.

Eunhyuk let out a little sarcastic laugh, “As if I’d believe you. So, tell me what’s been on your mind?”

“Nothing, Hyukjae. I just want to sit out here alone,” Hee Sun told keeping her head turned away.

Noticing the cold vibe coming from her Eunhyuk got up knowing he wouldn’t be able to get through to her.

“But if there’s something you need just tell me, ok?” Eunhyuk said before walking back inside.

Eunhyuk walked pass his parents and found Donghae in the kitchen drying his hands.

“I was wondering where you went off to,” Donghae said turning around.

Before he could say anything else Eunhyuk pulled him over, “Go out and talk to Hee Sun. I think something’s wrong but she won’t tell me. Maybe she’ll talk to you like she always does.”

“What?” Donghae frowned.

“Just go.” Eunhyuk urged pushing him toward the door.

Wondering what was wrong with Eunhyuk Donghae turned around and walked out the sliding doors to see Hee Sun sitting alone.

“Why are you sitting out here?” Donghae asked walking over and sitting down by her.

Hee Sun slowly turned to look at him as if he were an illusion, “Oppa?”

Donghae nodded, “Yep, that’s me.”

Hee Sun smiled a little then turned away before an expression of despair took over her face.

“Sorry, I haven’t visited you in Seoul,” Donghae said.

Hee Sun clutched herself tightly as if she felt uncomfortable, “I know oppa was busy.”

“Didn’t you go out with your friends?” asked Donghae. “I know college students usually go out to parties and…”

“Stop it,” Hee Sun suddenly said with a cold voice. “Oppa, you should go home.”

“Huh?”

“I want to go to sleep now,” Hee Sun said suddenly getting up and walked away.

Donghae stared after her wondering if he’d said something wrong. After bidding everyone farewell Donghae walked toward his car with his uncle. When he opened the door Donghae finally realized that he’d left his phone in the car.

“Are you going to be sleeping here for the night?” his uncle asked.

“I’m not sure,” Donghae replied seeing that he had over 20 missed calls.

“If you’re not busy tomorrow then why don’t you sleep here for tonight since it’s pretty late anyway?” his uncle asked.

Donghae nodded when he activated his voicemail while starting the car.

First message, “Donghae, it’s me, Chief Kang. Why aren’t you answering. Give me a call as soon as you get this.”

Second message, “Donghae, there’s been a homicide in Seoul. I’m not sure about the details but why aren’t you answering?”

Third message, “I got a little of information from an officer. Seo In Ji, psychology professor at the university, has been murdered in her home. And guess who found her? Victoria Song. You should hurry to the scene and call me when you get here. That’s all.”

Then without realizing Donghae had sped the rest of the way to his uncle’s house.

“Did something happen?” his uncle asked unbuckling his seatbelt. “That was…some driving…”

“I’m sorry,” Donghae apologized. “I didn’t mean to, but I’m in a hurry right now.”

“Did something happen?”

Donghae pressed his lips together anxiously then nodded.

“Well then…call me when things get settled down.” his uncle told opening the door. “Take care of yourself Donghae.”

“You too uncle,” Donghae said before driving off again.

Feelings of uneasiness made him nervous. Why was it Victoria who found her?

/////

Victoria had made her way out of the building after insisting that she didn’t need Chief Kang to her back home. However, maybe she regretted having done that. Immediately when the fresh air outside hit her Victoria felt her legs go weak and suddenly feared that she’d fall onto the ground unable to get back up.

“You can do this,” she told herself over and over.

Slowly she crossed the street and made her way to her car. Shock had mortified her and had taken more than half of her soul the past couple of hours. She was unable to explain much to Chief Kang because her mind was so clouded she couldn’t think straight or talk in right sentences. Starting the engine images of Il Chung and Sandy filled her mind. Why was it happening again? Clenching her jaw tight she turned the wheel.

“Don’t think about it, don’t think about it,” she repeated and she even felt surprised with her self when she made it back to her home safely, but she didn’t step out of her car. She remained inside the car in a daze. Suddenly she backed out of the driveway and found herself going somewhere else.

/////

“Chief!” Donghae called as he ran toward the large man.

Chief Kang turned around and motioned him to follow him out, “The forensics squad just arrived, lets go talk outside.”

Donghae nodded impatiently following him out. Outside in the hallway he first looked around then turned back to the chief.

“Where is she?”   

“She left about two hours and a half ago,” the chief answered.

“What happened?”

“I don’t know.”

“What do you mean you don’t know?” Donghae stopped realizing he’d sounded a bit aggressive. “Sorry.”

Chief Kang sighed then said, “I couldn’t understand what she was saying, couldn’t really get anything out from her.”

Donghae frowned.

“But she’s not the suspect this time,” Chief Kang clarified, “it was bloody in there and Victoria had no sign of blood on her. A neighbor was the witness that Victoria is innocent, too.”

Donghae nodded glad to hear that from the chief.

“You try talking to her,” Chief Kang told, “she seems a bit traumatized right now discovering the dead body of her friend…again.”

Donghae nodded, “Ok, I’ll get back to you when I can.”

Chief Kang nodded and Donghae immediately headed for the elevators. He was sure Victoria had returned home if she didn’t have anywhere else to go. But when he got to her house her car was not there and only Melodix answered him at the door. Flipping his phone open he tried calling her a couple of times but she didn’t pick up. He tried thinking hard about where she would go but no answer came to him, so he decided to just drive around in case he’d see her.

An hour later when he was sure he hadn’t spotted her anywhere Donghae was about to give up when he finally thought of the one place that might be her last resort. Speeding back to the summer house he recognized a familiar car parked by the road, but no one was in the car. Finally parking his car in the driveway ready to run toward the car just to double check he paused when he noticed a figure sitting on the steps. Immediately turning he noticed Victoria clutching her knees to her chest. Had she really been waiting three and a half hours?

“Victoria, are you ok?” he asked turning toward her.

She slowly arose from where she was and walked toward him suddenly clutching onto his shirt with her hands burying her head into his shoulder. Small sobs came from her and slowly his shirt began to feel damp.