Memory 72

You Said Remember Me

“Your girlfriend…” he started.

Eunhyuk felt like choking on his cereal but it slid right down his throat.

“You two really suit each other,” he commented.

“Oh…oh…”

“Do you like her a lot?”

Eunhyuk paused for a thought. How was he supposed to answer? Questions roared in his mind. Maybe he should really start thinking…

“I like her…”

His father smiled as if happy to hear that, “How did you two meet?”

Eunhyuk glanced across the table top. It felt strange to be questioned by his father, who had taken a sudden interest in him. But what bothered him even more was he felt neutral. There wasn’t a specific feeling that came to him at that moment. It was all just a blur.

“We met through Hae.” Eunhyuk replied. Well, at least that was the truth.

“Then you’re all good friends?” his father continued. “That’s good to hear. Have you thought about getting married?”

“Not now. It’s too soon.” Eunhyuk replied.

“Ah…well do you think your mom and I can meet her again?” his father asked. “I’m really glad you’ve found someone to be with you. I’m really happy for you Hyuk.”

He reached over to pat Eunhyuk’s shoulder. And he felt guilty because all he could do then was just smile toward his father.

/////

Donghae awoke in the morning to the ringing of his phone. When he saw that it was Hee Sun who was calling he quickly took the battery out from his phone then glanced at Victoria who was sleeping on the couch next to him. Slowly tucking an arm around her and pulling her closer he leaned against her closing his eyes.

He awoke later when Victoria shook him again and again. Finally opening his eyes he found her standing up.

“What are you doing? Get up,” she said in a whisper.

“I don’t want to.” he covered his eyes with his arm.

Victoria pulled at him trying to get him to stand up.

“I’m late for work and it’s afternoon already,” she told.

Suddenly getting up he looked around and noticed the junk food on the table. How he wished there were more than 24 hours in a day.

“Get going,” she urged.

Donghae glanced at the door and turned back to her. “My legs won’t move.”

“Lee Donghae,” she called.

“Yes!” he immediately shouted.

“Just go,” she said.

“I really don’t want to,” he refused.

“You don’t have any more time,” she reminded.

A darkened expression overcame his face while he stared at her.

“Can I still come back?” he asked nervously.

“You know that answer as well as I do.”

If he took a step out of the door he wouldn’t be able to make it back. He wouldn’t be able to see her for months. With a sigh he suddenly hugged her tightly and finally let go of her.

“Purposely come over sometime,” he told giving her a slow peck on the lips then stared at her for a long time before walking out the door already wanting to go back in. When he got into the car he placed the battery back in his phone and reached for the picture inside his jacket. Grabbing the new photo frame on the passenger’s seat he placed the picture inside and smiled before his phone began ringing.

/////

Eunhyuk knocked on the door and Victoria looked up from her desk.

“Hey,” he greeted.

“Oh, Eunhyuk,” she said without much emotion, “I have a lot of things to do today, I don’t think I can go out.”

“Oh…really? Did you eat yet? Do you want me to get something for you?” he offered.

“No,” she quickly replied then paused for a moment, “can I trust you to take Melodix out for me?”

Eunhyuk drove along the slow road toward her place. Nothing really occupied his mind. Stopping his car in the driveway he stepped out, closed the door, and turned around. Opening the door he was greeted by Melodix’s barking and after grabbing her leash he allowed her run outside for a while.

It wasn’t until he brought her back inside and began walking into the kitchen that something caught his eye. Turning to the right he noticed the wind blowing the curtains from the open window…open window? Walking over to the window he glanced outside to see no one in sight. He reached for the window and closed it turning around to finally notice a bouquet of red roses on the table.

“What the…” he muttered.

Reaching for the roses identical to the ones he found the other day he found an identical white envelope underneath. Picking it up he reached for the card inside.

“Do you know who I am? I see your face everyday and remember you so clearly, how can you forget me?”

Quickly sticking the card back into the envelope Eunhyuk glanced around then glanced at the closed curtains. Was someone watching her 24/7? What was going on and what was with the strange notes and the flowers?

Two hours later Eunhyuk found himself sitting inside his room staring at the roses he’d set next to one another with the cards underneath them. The roses gave him a bad feeling. Should he be suspicious? Should he worry about Victoria’s safety? The full petals were bright red they looked almost like blood and it gave him the creeps.

Reaching for his phone he dialed her number and a second later he heard her voice.

“It’s me, Eunhyuk.” he said. “I just wanted to know if you left your window open last night?”

“No.”

“Oh…I see.” he replied.

“Something wrong?” she suddenly sounded concerned.

“No, it’s nothing, but you should really buy a lock for your window,” Eunhyuk advised. “I’ll see you later.”

/////

Victoria frowned at her cell phone wondering why Eunhyuk had asked her about the window. Setting her phone down she stared at her disorganized papers. Because she’d slept in she’d missed her classes and she would have to re-organize the homework she’d  planned to hand out. Victoria leaned back in her seat letting all her thoughts flow free. Donghae would probably be with Hee Sun by now.

/////

Heechul felt surprised when he saw Donghae behind his desk looking through some papers and then turning back to his computer then back to his papers.

“I see you’re back,” Heechul greeted never minding Sasha.

“I was back a long time ago,” Donghae replied.

“Interesting,” was all Heechul said before opening the door to Chief Kang’s office.

Donghae…felt different. Seeing him felt different. It was as if he could care less whether he was there or not. Heechul felt curious but didn’t want to voice out his questions.

/////

Hee Sun stared out the window from her dorm. Her oppa was in love and while being with her she needed to give him time. Eunhyuk had said to give him time, but time for what? How did Donghae love Victoria like she loved him? She didn’t understand and thinking more about it made her feel more depressed. It made her think she wasn’t good enough for him. If she was Victoria would she be good enough for him then?

/////

Eunhyuk had driven back to Seoul to pick up Hee Sun and returned to Incheon with her. And he called Donghae over that evening to stay with Hee Sun and while Donghae was there Eunhyuk left. He didn’t go to Victoria’s but just drove around.

Questions rambled his mind. What were the things he’d seen? The roses, the cards. He’d found them inside and outside of her home. Was someone pulling a prank on her? Had Victoria received such things before? It didn’t quite make sense. Who would leave notes with such strange words on them? Remember, remember, remember, did you forget me? Eunhyuk couldn’t quite put the puzzle together so that it’d make sense.  

/////

“Oppa, can I talk to you?” she asked after dinner.

After nodding Donghae followed her out back. When they were finally on the patio she turned to him.

“I’m sorry, oppa.”

He didn’t feel touched at her apology, but only felt thankful to hear it.

“Thanks, Hee Sun.”

“Oppa…if you need time I’ll give you the time you need,” Hee Sun said almost quietly.

Hee Sun had never spoken to him in such a way before. Did it take all her effort just to make those words pour out from ? Donghae didn’t find any words in him that he wanted to say to her in reply.

“What time are you talking about?” asked Donghae.

“For you to turn to me.” Hee Sun answered. “I’ll be patient and I won’t do stupid things anymore.”

Donghae followed her eyes toward the table and saw a new photo frame sitting on it. He felt glad she was slowly growing up and was trying to make up for what she’d done wrong.

“You bought that?” Donghae asked.

“Take it oppa.”

Donghae turned back to her, “No, you keep it and use it to keep a picture most precious to you in the future.”

Hee Sun looked at him. Donghae just smiled and gently ruffled her hair.