Memory 29

You Said Remember Me

/////

“Is he picking up?” Chief Kang questioned.

He was standing by the doorway just to the side of Sasha’s light brown desk. The woman was holding the phone to her ear then shook her head no.

“Not answering.”

Chief Kang let out a loud sigh, “Do you think he’ll be fine tomorrow?”

“What do you mean ‘Do you think he’ll be fine’,” Sasha questioned with a click of concern edged in her voice. “That boy would never even get mugged if he were a girl.”

“You think so,” Chief Kang raised his one eyebrow amused at Sasha’s comment. “Then I guess he’ll find out by himself that Mrs. Il likes to talk a lot.”

/////

Donghae had arose early, drunk some coffee, and ate a croissant before heading out. Just heading to his car knowing that he’d pick up Victoria then head back to Incheon made him a little happy. Maybe he should visit his uncle after stopping by Il Chung’s house.

“Aren’t you going to say good morning?” Donghae questioned after Victoria boarded his car then began to pull the seat belt over herself.

Victoria just glanced at him then said, “Can you hurry up and drive? I have plans today.”

“What plans?” asked Donghae putting his gear into drive.

“You can return to Seoul without me. I have some things to catch up in Incheon…alone,” Victoria emphasized on the word ‘alone’.
 
“Really? Me too,” Donghae nodded. “I was going to stop by at my uncle’s. Now tell me what you’re going to do.”

Victoria felt a need to snap at him but suppressed it, “Be quiet…please.” It half felt like it took all her effort just to be polite with him.

They came to a stop in front of a beautiful red bricked house with golden colored gates standing before it. After ringing the doorbell they were greeted by a middle aged housekeeper and led up the magnificent curvy stone steps that led to the shiny black door. The healthy green, green grass surrounded the path with tall trees and shrubs growing here and there. A small pond surrounded with two layers of rocks caught Victoria’s attention the most. Before she could see if there were any live fishes in the pond the housekeeper’s voice interrupted her.

“The madam and her mother are in.” the housekeeper advised then whispered, “I’m glad you two are their company today.”

“We won’t be long,” Donghae politely told.

“Oh no,” the housekeeper made a face, “stay as long as you like.” The wrinkles in her face really outlined her features.

“Can we…go in?” Donghae asked pointing to the door.

“Oh yes! I was so caught up I forgot to let you in.” the housekeeper laughed then opened the door for them leading them through the polished hallway.

The lights and dim reflections of the open windows illuminated against the wooden floor. The two of them were shown into a small room with chairs and couches surrounding a long light colored rectangular coffee table. It was probably a place where relatives often met and visited Donghae decided.

“It’s a big house isn’t it?” asked Donghae turning to look at Victoria who seemed to be staring hard at the coffee table.

“Yea…”

“But I don’t think this home can compare to Chief Kang’s.” Donghae turned back to Victoria. “Right?” Donghae let his eyes focus on her. Victoria was lost in thought. Was she wondering why Il Chung, who had such a large home, would move into such a shabby apartment just like what he was wondering? Or was she thinking about something else? Like her plans for today?

“Sorry for arriving so late. You two must have waited a long time,” a woman in her 40’s greeted as she entered from the archway. She was followed by an old skinny woman who was draped with expensive jewels. She seemed to have gone to the salon today because her hair was neatly styled up.

“Good morning,” Donghae and Victoria got up to greet the two woman who introduced themselves as Il Chung’s mother and grandma.

“Please take a seat.”

After sitting down Victoria strangely felt the woman’s eyes land on her as if they were deeply observing her for something.

“Are you their friend who lived upstairs from them?” Mrs. Il questioned.

“Why would you ask that?” Grandma Il said turning to Mrs. Il in a scolding manner. “Why would you want to know when you already do know.”

“I just needed to confirm,” Mrs. Il whispered loudly to her mother, “they always talked about her like she was a prized possession but she doesn’t look anything different from a normal person.”

Donghae glanced at Victoria whose eyes were fixed on the two women before her then she slowly turned to look at him.

“What was your name again? Victor…Victory?” Il Chung’s mother ranted on.

“Victoria.”

“Ah, yes! That was it! Victoria Song!” Mrs. Il said clapping her hands together excitedly as if she’d just solved the world’s most difficult puzzle.

“Please stop embarrassing yourself,” Grandma Il mumbled.

Mrs. Il gave her a light sneer before turning back to Victoria with an all smile face, “I hear you were very close to Il Chung and Sandy?”

Victoria stared straight at them. No answer came from her. When Donghae noticed the light tension he smiled and said, “I figure it’s best not to waste any of our time and I assume you two must have a lot of things going on today as well.”

“Not really young man.” Mrs. Il smiled.

Donghae forced a smile, “Anyhow, Chief Kang told me beforehand that both sides of the family wanted to meet us.”

“Yes, that’s true, but only my husband wanted to talk to the detective. I, on the other hand, wanted to speak with Miss Song,” Mrs. Il said her tone of voice changed to that of someone who wanted to take control and was impatient.

Donghae couldn’t help but turn to look at Victoria who remained expressionless.

“W…why?” Victoria asked.

“Il Chung and Sandy called me all of a sudden asking about preparations for a baby,” Mrs. Il started.

Victoria’s hand immediately and unconsciously balled into a fist. A gesture Donghae couldn’t miss.

“They said a good friend of theirs was 3 months pregnant and lived alone,” Mrs. Il stated. “But I want to know why Il Chung worried so deeply for this friend of his? Were you…by any chance impregnated by Il Chung?” Il Chung’s mother was leaning forward in her seat as if tempting Victoria to give her the answer she wanted.

“No!” Victoria suddenly shouted then caught herself.

“I don’t see her belly,” Grandma Il whispered loudly. “Were you really pregnant? Or…” the woman seemed to gasp. “Did you lose the baby?”

Victoria’s face scrunched up into that of mixed expressions. The pain was drawn all over her face and Donghae suddenly felt as if he weren’t able to bear looking at her anymore.

“We also have another meeting today and it’s about time for us to go,” Donghae lied immediately getting up to gesture that their visit would end for today.

“But…why so sudden? You didn’t say anything beforehand. Don’t you want to stay for some lunch?” Mrs. Il asked.

Never. Donghae thought but replied, “Maybe another time.” Then he assured himself there would never be another time.

Victoria got up from where she was sitting and quickly headed for the door. He felt like rushing after her just in case she would disappear off somewhere. Running through the gates he saw her stop in front of the passenger door. Donghae slowly stopped behind her afraid that if he said something wrong he’d get her angry.

“Sorry, I didn’t know they were going to be like that,” Donghae apologized. “I should have spoken to them first…”

“About what?” Victoria suddenly turned around her eyes b with the tears she was holding back.

Donghae wasn’t surprised to see that she wanted to cry but for another reason he felt nervous. He just stared at her.

Victoria stared back at him letting silence build its wall between them then she frowned. The air around them suddenly felt different. It was cold and concrete. “You knew.”

Donghae felt his face muscles tense up. “Know what?”

“Don’t lie. You’re an investigator…for real there was really no reason for you to take me off that suspect list and it doesn’t make sense that you just dropped me from it like that,” Victoria told. “I should have caught on sooner.”

“What are you talking about?” Donghae felt lost. He really didn’t know what she was talking about.

“When I told you I spent the night in the hospital, you weren’t surprised,” Victoria felt her voice shake. Whether it was from anger or disappointment she wasn’t exactly sure. “You would have pressed me on about why I was in the hospital but you didn’t. It was as if you were purposely giving me my own space. You knew it all along, Lee Donghae, and you lied! You became nice all of a sudden and out of the blue you were keeping me company.”

Donghae caught onto where she was going. She knew…that he was aware of the miscarriage. And she was angry…

“I didn’t mean to,” Donghae started.

“Shut up,” Victoria snapped. “I knew you weren’t trustable. You were suspicious all along.”

“If you think I pity you I don’t,” Donghae said feeling sort of flustered. “I really wanted to keep you company like a friend. I just wanted to know you…”

“Don’t talk to me,” Victoria warned with a strong angry glare then stepped away from his car and flagged an oncoming taxi. She got in without looking back at him.

He watched the taxi drive off and on impulse ran inside his car going after her. A flood of emotions settled throughout him. He didn’t pity her, he sympathized with her and he really just wanted to keep her company. Donghae wasn’t sure if Victoria would believe him or not. The way she had looked at him before walking away made him sure that he didn’t want to let her just walk away like that. He didn’t want her to see him as that kind of person.