Memory 6

You Said Remember Me

“Oppa! Oppa! Are you listening?” Hee Sun asked.

Donghae turned back around and nodded, “Yea, I heard. So what university will you be attending?”

“I’m going to Seoul University.” she replied with a wide smile.

“I doubt she’ll get far,” Eunhyuk whispered into his ear again and Donghae knew it was mean, but he couldn’t help but laugh.

“What? What did you just say Lee Hyukjae?!” Hee Sun began to raise her voice.

Eunhyuk and Donghae’s amused expressions quickly dropped off of their faces aware that they were attracting attention.

“I didn’t say anything,” Eunhyuk lied.

“You lie! I saw you whisper something to Donghae! What did you say?!” she demanded.

Donghae cleared his throat and turned to see that Victoria among the many other customers there that night were watching them. With an idea to calm the atmosphere down Donghae got up from his seat and walked over to her.

“My friend’s sister is a bit upset tonight, since you’re a girl it might be easier to talk to her. Do you want to join us?” questioned Donghae.

“No.” she replied solidly.

Donghae scratched his cheek then grabbed her arm without warning leading her toward their table where Hee Sun was watching him with a slight frown on her face. He could only hope that the situation wouldn’t get any worse.

“Eunhyuk get off,” Donghae waved for him to get off his seat. Eunhyuk frowned at him at first but finally got off and Donghae sat Victoria down before sitting back down next to her. As he sat down Victoria began to get up, but he quickly pushed her back down and turned to look at Eunhyuk and Hee Sun’s surprised faces.

“What are you doing?” Victoria questioned through gritted teeth.

Donghae smiled then turned to the two siblings, “This here is my friend, Victoria Song. This is Eunhyuk and his step sister, Jung Hee Sun.”

Victoria almost glared at him for ruining the quiet dinner she’d been enjoying for the past half hour, but noticed that his two friends were waiting for something from her. Making a mental note to herself that she’d never run into them again she finally turned and gave an almost happy smile.

“Hi, I’m Victoria, it’s nice to meet you.” she was able to mutter from her smile.

“Nice to meet you too. I didn’t know Donghae knew any gals,” Eunhyuk said with a cheeky smile while raising one of his eyebrows toward Donghae.

However, Victoria did not fail to see the glum expression on Hee Sun’s face. She was clearly upset about something. Silence overcame their table while the chatter around them became louder.

“Tonight’s Hee Sun’s birthday. You know she’s going to be attending Seoul University?” Donghae broke up the silence.

“Is that so?” Victoria questioned smiling again then really wished she’d never stepped into the restaurant. “Congratulations Hee Sun.”

Victoria expected a thanks from the girl but felt almost shocked when Hee Sun asked, “What’s your relationship with Donghae oppa?”

Before Victoria could answer Donghae interrupted with an uncomfortable laugh, “We’re friends, didn’t I say that?”

“What kind of friends?” Hee Sun persisted staring at Victoria and she knew that that this Hee Sun girl had a kind of thing for the investigator sitting beside her.

Victoria bit her tongue to help suppress the annoyance that was slowly beginning to grow within her.

“If Donghae says they’re just friends then they’re just friends.” Eunhyuk helped.

“Being friends could mean anything, are you stupid? She could have a secret crush on him or something. They probably haven’t even known each other for long because I’ve never seen her before. Donghae has never spoken about her either,” Hee Sun snapped at Eunhyuk then reverted her eyes toward Donghae and Victoria.

“Can you calm down?” Eunhyuk asked.

Hee Sun heaved a sigh and got up, “My birthday dinner is ruined!” she turned with a glare at Victoria as she hesitated to say something then turned to Eunhyuk, “It’s all your fault!”

Victoria watched as Eunhyuk frowned, “But what did I do?”

“I’m going to be in the car!” Hee Sun exclaimed then walked out the doors.

Eunhyuk scratched his head then turned to Victoria with an embarrassed laugh, “Sorry about that. My step sister is always like this, spoiled, you know?”

Victoria burrowed her brows and nodded before the waiter walked over and set down two small clipboards with their bills on the table. Before she could actually grab the clipboard with her bill someone snatched it from her.

“I’ll pay for you.” Victoria watched as the handsome investigator make his way toward the counter after Eunhyuk.

Unable to set aside her pride and let him pay on her behalf Victoria followed him to the counter and grabbed the clipboard from him. He turned around surprised.

“It was my meal so I’ll pay,” she told, but he snatched the clipboard back from her and turned around handing it to the woman behind the counter. Victoria watched helplessly as Donghae handed the woman his card and finally turned around after the transaction had passed through.

“My treat for pulling you into my little mess,” he smiled.

Victoria just half glared at him and turned around to walk through the doors wondering how in the world she had lived through what just happened. Before she could do anything else a car passed before her and she noticed the two siblings from earlier sitting inside. She watched as their car headed out onto the streets and disappeared along with the other many cars.

“Did you come out for some fresh air tonight?” Victoria turned around to see Donghae standing in front of the restaurant doors.

Donghae watched as she ignored him and walked toward her car then drove off without a word.

“I guess she must still be moody about what happened today.”

/////

He felt angry at the investigator who had approached her, but was glad when she had walked away from him. The burning edge in his heart died once more and he knew he would never be found out. Once again he felt the assurance that she’d never leave him for anyone else again.

/////

Victoria laid awake in bed that night unable to fall asleep as she tossed and turned in the dark. As she sighed Il Chung and Sandy’s bodies appeared in her mind. The picture was too gory for her to wish to keep it in her memory. However the police saw it she knew that for sure Il Chung would never harm Sandy even if she drove his anger toward the edge of the world. But if he didn’t kill her then who did? And why had that person killed them both? Victoria finally felt shivers spread throughout her body. Why hadn’t she thought about it sooner during the day? If Il Chung hadn’t killed Sandy then himself then the murderer was still running around loose. Victoria finally sat up in bed and glanced at her locked bedroom door. If she recalled right the police had stated that the doorknob had not been picked so no one would have broken in. If so then was it someone they both knew? Just the thought of it creeped her out.

/////

“You’re finally home?” his uncle questioned as he walked in through the doors.

“I’m home,” he replied.

“Were you out all day?” the man in his early 40’s questioned setting his book aside. His uncle surprisingly still had every strand of gray hair on his head and his face never seemed to age. Those two dark colored eyes was what Donghae guessed maintained the youth in his face.

“There was a homicide this morning, but I just came back from dinner,” Donghae replied.

“You ate out?”

“It was Hee Sun’s birthday today so I ate out with her and Eunhyuk.”

His uncle smiled those mischievous kind of smiles before going on, “But you should consider getting married soon. You’re not getting any younger.”

“I’ll pass on Hee Sun, but don’t worry my handsome face can get me anywhere I want,” Donghae smiled. “I’ll be going up now.”

His uncle nodded and he made his way up the carpeted stairs slowly. He tossed his jacket onto his desk and sat down at the edge of his bed and stared into the mirror to his left.

Donghae awoke early the next day and was more than ready to meet with this Im Jee Su professor from the tech college. After stuffing an almost burnt toast down his throat and chugging down a cup of orange juice he was out the door.

The tech college building was splendidly huge. A brick building with a dark gray roof that reached over the edges protected the whole college from snow, rain, and hail. Donghae walked up the stone stairs and through the glass doors to see a large plaque with a list of offices before him. To his left was a service center and to his right was a comfy rest area. Donghae walked down the hallway to his right and found an elevator. When he reached the third floor he entered the faculty area and searched for room 315 which he found just seconds later. As promised professor Im Jee Su was sitting inside behind her desk scribbling on some papers preparing for the new school semester.