Memory 10

You Said Remember Me

“Oppa!” Hee Sun shrieked.

Before the two siblings approached them Victoria hurried off toward her car and drove out of the lot wishing to get away from them. She prayed and hoped she’d never run into them again.

/////

“Oppa!” Hee Sun shrieked as she placed her hand on Donghae’s arm.

“What happened? Did you two argue about something?” Eunhyuk asked.

“I think you two should go on without me,” Donghae said.

“But oppa!” Hee Sun continued.

“Lets go. Can’t you stop pestering him?” Eunhyuk questioned dragging Hee Sun toward the car. “Call me when you get home, alright?” he called out to Donghae before leaving.

Donghae frowned and reached his hand up to touch his left cheek which burned. Why had he said those words to her? Why did he insult her? Pressing his lips together he made his way back to his car and drove around the city for a while to help clear his mind. After half an hour he suddenly came to a stop in front of the beautiful white house he grew up in with his parents. All the memories of playing outside with his plastic trucks while his parents mowed the lawn and planted flowers along the walk flew back into his memory piece by piece. It was as if he was trying to rebuild what he'd lost. A smile climbed onto his face and quickly disappeared when he realized there were no more flowers and the house had been remodeled.

Maybe at the mention of staying in Seoul sparked some hidden anger in him and he’d lashed out at Victoria. There was no other reasonable explanation to why he’d become moody so suddenly. He rubbed his face with his hand flustered.

/////

Victoria had rushed back to her apartment and grabbed Melodix speeding back to Incheon without even realizing that she’d done so. The apartment in Seoul was too cold and unfamiliar for her to adapt to that night. She felt she needed the warmth of a place she knew and that only place was her apartment. However, as she stepped through the gates she stared at the yellow tape in front of Il Chung and Sandy’s old apartment. Quickly lowering her head she ran up the stairs.

/////

Donghae didn’t arrive home until past midnight. When the door closed he felt surprised to see that his uncle had not yet gone to sleep.

“You’re finally home.” his uncle greeted.

“What are you doing still up?” Donghae asked stepping into the home he’d become so familiar with that he couldn’t imagine life without.

“If I go to sleep I wouldn’t be able to see your face because you always leave so early in the morning and come back so late.” his uncle told. “Sometimes I wonder if this is the right job for you. You look tired.”

Donghae felt a wave of disappointment in himself and felt sorry for his uncle. The burden of raising him up and choosing the path his uncle didn’t want him to, but even when Donghae had gone out to do what he’d most wanted his uncle stood back and watched. His uncle cared so much and had allowed him to go for his dreams and was so full of smiles somtimes Donghae wondered if all the wrinkles on his face didn't just come from him smiling. Sometimes he wished his uncle had a wife so she would be able to take care of him and do what he wasn't able to do for him. Because Donghae had seen his job as first priority he'd forgotten to look after his uncle and it left all the guilt in him whenenver his uncle smiled at him. His uncle was so kind hearted. Taking him in and raising him up as a single man...and not once had he even gone out on a date when Donghae lived in this house with him. Because Donghae knew, he knew his uncle was afraid he'd feel neglected if he turned his attention elsewhere.

Donghae was thankful aware that his uncle was proud but what could he ever do for his uncle? He was never quite sure about what he could do to repay the kindness his uncle had showered him with.

“I went to Seoul,” Donghae spoke flatly.

“Seoul?” his uncle repeated suddenly standing up from the recliner he’d been sitting in. “What were you doing in Seoul?” It was as if he were aware about Donghae's hurt feelings. His uncle never mentioned Seoul in front of him and none of his relatives ever talked about Seoul, he'd always been protected because they worried too much about his feelings.

Donghae stared at the kitchen before him then said, “I went to help Eunhyuk move Hee Sun’s belongings to her new dorm then we went out for lunch. I ran into the woman we’re investigating and insulted her.”

“That’s all? Is that why you look so gloomy?” His uncle was waiting for him to go on and even if he didn't say anything his uncle would never pester him to say it. But he knew...even if his uncle didn't show it, he wouldn't be able to sleep if Donghae didn't say it.

Donghae lightly bit the inside of his cheek, “No. I went to look at the house. Did you know a full family with six children lives in that home now? And they also renovated it. I wonder how it looks inside. All the flowers mom left...aren't there...”

“Donghae,” his uncle called his name walking toward him and placing his hand on his nephew’s shoulder.

“I’m going up now,” Donghae firmly said then made his way up the stairs. He'd successfully avoided making eye contact. He was also conciously aware that if his uncle continued to comfort him any further he was sure he’d start bawling like a baby.

/////

Victoria awoke early the next morning and brewed some coffee. After eating an omelet she took Melodix out for her last walk around the neighborhood before she’d start walking a new route in Seoul. When Victoria returned to her place she felt relief flood through her when she did not see the investigator anywhere. After the funeral tomorrow she’d be able to leave…at last.

/////

Donghae was not surprised that the chief kept him busy with filing papers the whole day. It eventually helped clear his mind and kept him relaxed. However, the next morning when he met the chief before heading to the funeral he received particular instructions from him.

“Keep an eye out on the suspect. We’re going as normal people, in other words we’re undercover today. We’re going to be keeping a lookout in case anything happens at the funeral and don’t mention to anyone about the autopsy results. I will inform the family members tomorrow so if the funeral goes well we go right into the investigation after the burial, you got it?”

When Donghae arrived at the large funeral hall he gazed around the crowds. It was a large building with two poles supporting the open roof before the two front doors that were kept open. Mourners stood in front of the two caskets to the left of the room crying and to the right were chairs where many sat. Donghae walked in and looked around then his eyes stopped on the two large framed pictures of Il Chung and Sandy. He silently wished them well and looked around again. It was only then when he saw Victoria standing far away from the caskets but she clearly refused to go look at the bodies-that he could tell. As he took a step forward she disappeared amongst the crowd. Donghae walked further into the hall making his way through the crowds of the victim’s relatives and searched around before he found the back door. The chatter began to fade away as he curiously stepped out to see her sitting against the wall, knees curled up to her chest. Seeing her like that made him feel guilty for his insults the other day and he almost approached her to apologize, but he stopped when someone else did.

/////

Victoria had tossed the rest of her luggage into her car and turned back to look up at her apartment then the whole building itself. The one year of happiness that didn’t last for so long…she was finally going to leave it behind.

“Well, you have nothing more here anyway.” Victoria told herself before getting into her car.

She arrived at the funeral hall minutes later and opened the window for Melodix before she got out. Making her way through the crowds Victoria entered the polished doors and paused when she saw the enlarged pictures of her friends’ faces. She was sure their faces would definitely stay in her memory for the rest of her life. The only people she known in Incheon and had stayed so close with were no where on earth now. Victoria gulped as she backed up and stared at the caskets before her. Flashbacks of her grandparents’, parents’, and aunt’s caskets flew into her mind and frightened her at the same time. They had all died so suddenly without any farewells and she’d been left alone at the end. Clenching her jaws she turned around and walked into the crowds feeling the need for some air.

/////

Kim Heechul had arrived at the mass early and had waited and waited at the same time while he searched for Victoria. He’d especially brought his expensive camera with him and had snapped pictures of the caskets and dead bodies while he waited for her appearance.

“Aren’t you scared that you might see something you shouldn’t?” someone had asked.

“I always see things I shouldn’t see,” Heechul remarked with a grin.

After snapping pictures for about half an hour he finally stepped out of the hall and glanced down the lot.

“Why isn’t she here?” Heechul asked himself.

“Would you like a drink, sir?” questioned a young woman walking up to him with a tray full of cups filled with either water or soda.

“Thanks.” Heechul grabbed a cup and began walking out back.

He had been whistling to himself enjoying the warm air that signaled the last heat wave before summer ended and stopped when he saw her sitting before him.