Memory 52

You Said Remember Me

Taking the bag he turned to look at the chief, “Thanks.”

“Get back to me when you find out anything,” the chief told.

Donghae nodded, “See you, Chief.”

After he got into his home Donghae found himself staring at the flowers he’d put on the table. As Victoria said they looked very much like the ones she’d been receiving from her stalker. Walking away he entered his bedroom, opened a drawer, and grabbed the flowers he’d taken from Victoria when she was still in the hospital. Although the rose petals were wilted Donghae still wanted to compare the two side by side. And sure thing even though the flowers were dead, they were alike. Was this Chinese man and Victoria’s stalker one person? But why would this Chinese man be stalking Victoria? And why would he murder In Ji? Most specifically, who was he and what did he want? But were these two very different cases linked?

Half an hour later he rung the doorbell to Victoria’s house with a bag of cookies and crackers in hand.

“What are you doing?” Victoria asked standing in the middle of doorway as if blocking him from walking in.

“You look quite defensive,” he commented before saying, “lets eat together.”

“And here I was planning a quiet dinner,” she said loud enough for him to hear as she made way for him.

“Are you trying to make me feel bad?”

“Not really,” she smiled sarcastically before she turned to lock the door. “Well, I guess make yourself at home like you always do.”

“Where’s my girlfriend?” he asked looking around before Melodix came running toward him.

“You two sure have this special thing going on,” Victoria commented taking the cookies and crackers he’d brought with him.

“Well, if it makes you jealous then I won’t call her my girlfriend,” he teased.

“Don’t mind me,” she said plainly before walking away. “I didn’t make that much food, so you’re going to have to bear with it.”

“That’s perfectly fine,” Donghae said walking toward the sink to wash his hands.

“Anyway, why are you back so soon?” she asked.

“I just wanted to come back,” he replied, which was half the truth. And with the issue of the roses he also didn’t feel so well leaving her alone so often.

After dinner they he stayed behind to watch some TV shows before Victoria literally had to force him out from her home.

The next day and the next and the next he didn’t forget to take her out for lunch. He also paid frequent visits to the school and to her dog. And during that time he also worked hard trying to track down where the roses had been bought, but he ended up with no luck. Too many people had purchased and ordered flowers the day In Ji was murdered and Chief Kang also had no luck on his side. It was also difficult trying to find the identity of the mysterious Chinese man In Ji had been dating. He never showed up for the dinner that never took place. If he had come he would have run into the cops-that, Donghae found suspicious. In Ji’s case was also at a dead end as well as Il Chung and Sandy’s. Why was he running into so many dead ends?

“Oppa,” a familiar voice called.

Donghae turned to his right to see Hee Sun walking toward him, “Oh…Hee Sun, hi.”

“What are you doing here?” Hee Sun asked.

“Did you just get off class? I heard from Hyuk that you returned over the weekend because you weren’t feeling well,” Donghae said ignoring her question. “You aren’t working too hard, are you? You look tired.”

Hee Sun just smiled, “I did return home, but I was also hoping you’d be there.”

“I see, I was a little busy,” Donghae replied recalling the date he’d had.

“Oppa…I…are you free this weekend?” she asked seeming like she had something she wanted to tell him.

“I’ve already got plans,” Donghae answered before his phone started ringing. “Hold on a moment.” he told Hee Sun before answering his call.

Hee Sun watched as a bright smile appeared on his face and he glanced across the street before hanging up.

“I’ve got to go now. I’ll see you around,” he waved before running across the street leaving her to watch him longingly.

Donghae found Victoria standing by her car with her arms crossed.

“You didn’t wait long did you?” he asked walking over.

“And where were you?”

“I stopped to talk to Hee Sun,” he explained. “Should we go now?” He took the keys from her hand and walked toward the driver’s side.

After lunch Victoria dropped him off at home. Donghae had planned to start looking through some files Chief Kang had dropped off earlier but his plans changed when he saw Eunhyuk standing outside his door.

“What are you doing peeking into my house?” Donghae asked surprising him.

“Where were you?” asked Eunhyuk turning around with a smile.

“Off on a date and what are you doing here?”

“Date?” Eunhyuk repeated.

Donghae nodded, “I also have a dinner date tonight, so I don’t have time to fool around.”

“Who?” Eunhyuk asked following Donghae into his house. “Victoria Song?”

Donghae turned to Eunhyuk with an explosive smile on his face.

“For real? Since when?” Eunhyuk smiled.

“None of your business,” Donghae pushed Eunhyuk farther from him. “Anyway, what are you doing here?”

“I just wanted to drop by after dropping Hee Sun off at school,” Eunhyuk replied.

“Hee Sun? Is she really sick?” Donghae asked sitting down at the kitchen table with a bag of chips in front of him.

“She keeps catching colds,” Eunhyuk replied, “but for most part she should be able to pull through.”

“Have you taken her for a checkup?”

Eunhyuk shrugged, “She insisted she’s fine without going so mom didn’t say anything. I read about a homicide in the paper. Are you and Chief Kang working on it?”

“For the most part, but we’re not getting anywhere,” Donghae answered. “And I don’t plan on telling you about anything else.”

“Sneaky kid,” Eunhyuk commented. “Well, if you’re in a hurry to finish whatever you’re doing then I’ll be off. I’ve also been called back to the office so better busy than not.”

After Eunhyuk left Donghae finally began looking through the files Chief Kang had given him. And three and a half hours later he was headed toward Victoria’s place. When she opened the door he was greeted by the fresh scent of cooking food coming from the kitchen.

“Making something good again?” he asked walking in.

“I’m thinking maybe you should cook sometime,” she said following him in.

“I’m too lazy for things like that,” Donghae told.

“You have the face of a liar,” she joked, “so did you get to looking at those files?”

“Only started a little, Eunhyuk stopped by earlier so I didn’t really do anything.”

“Eunhyuk? I haven’t heard you speak about him for quite some time.”

“Why should I brag about that ugly kid?”

Victoria’s jaw dropped and she laughed, “That’s a bit mean.”

Donghae chuckled putting his arm around her and giving her a quick peck on the cheek. A small bark came from Melodix’s room before she came running out toward them.

“Your girlfriend’s quite jealous today,” Victoria commented before taking his hand and led him into the kitchen.

/////

Hee Sun stared at herself in the long mirror she had out next to the bed. It wasn’t her pretty face that grabbed her attention but her growing belly. It was beginning to bulge out more and had become more visible over the last painful month. She wasn’t ready for such a responsibility, yet she wasn’t ready to make a decision by herself. She wanted to tell someone…she wanted to tell her oppa. He was smart, he was wise, and always made the best decisions…so she wanted him to help her. She glanced at her phone debating whether she should call him one of these days.

/////

Victoria smiled at the photo of Donghae and herself they had taken the day he’d tried to cheer her up. Taking out her old photo of herself and Melodix in her wallet she replaced it with hers and Donghae’s.

“Alright, looks good,” she complimented nodding her head in approval.

Victoria looked up from the bench she was sitting on. Though she’d arrived half an hour early Donghae was never late. She checked the time again, 15 minutes before dinner. She couldn’t help but feel a little excited for his appearance.