Memory 53

You Said Remember Me

/////

“Oppa…are you busy today?” Hee Sun asked over the phone.

Donghae had just turned around the corner of the street, “I have something planned. Why?”

“Oppa if you have time can you meet with me?”

“Not today.”

“Oh…then tomorrow?”

“We’ll see, Hee Sun, oppa has to go now.” with that Donghae hung up before he stopped the car in front of Victoria. “Sorry for the wait.”

“You better be.” was all that came from her still face before she got in. “Why are you so late?”

“Traffic obviously,” Donghae replied. “Cheer up now.”

When they walked out of the eatery an hour later Victoria couldn’t help but feel as if something would go wrong. Increasing the pace of her steps next to him she locked arms with him grabbing his hand.

“What are you doing?” he asked with a small laugh.

“Why? Is it strange?”

He paused then finally said, “No.”

“You’re definitely not going to be as late tomorrow, are you?” she asked.

“I won’t, I promise.”

Everything felt perfect and he never felt like anything would change. It was as if he were sleeping a really long dream, dreaming of that perfect girl who’d always be with him. He was content and happy.

Donghae had rushed back from Incheon to Seoul and had parked his car by the street before crossing the street to the psychology department. However, his plans changed right there when Hee Sun approached him.

“Oppa, can I talk to you?”

“I’m kinda in a rush, Hee Sun,” he replied trying to cross the street before Hee Sun pulled him back.

“Oppa, I need to talk to you.”

Turning to look at the pleading look in her eyes Donghae knew he’d feel guilty toward her and Eunhyuk if he just walked away. What if she was having problems in school? Letting out a small sigh he nodded.

/////

Victoria glanced at her watch and toward the street where Donghae should be walking toward her but he was no where in sight.

“Where is he?”

/////

Donghae followed Hee Sun to a secluded area with only trees and a dumpster in sight.

“Hee Sun, why did you bring me here?” Donghae asked. “Is it something serious you need to tell me?”

Hee Sun turned so that she was standing in front of him but avoided eye contact at first and clutched her hands together nervously.

“Hee Sun?” he called again.

“Oppa,” she began very slowly, weakly. Then all of a sudden in the silence that surrounded them tears sprouted from her eyes like a waterfall and she dropped to the ground before him clutching onto his pants with her small hands. “Oppa, help me! Help me, oppa! Please, I don’t know what to do! Oppa!”

Seeing her like that sent a shock through him and he was speechless at first. What should he say? What was going on? Why was she suddenly kneeling in front of him? Questions rambled throughout his mind.

“Hee Sun-ah,” he began.

Hee Sun shook her head, “I…oppa…I…” she tried speaking through her sobs but her words only came out as weird slurs.

“Why are you doing this?” he asked trying to get her up to her feet but Hee Sun refused.

“I…oppa…you have to help me…please…” she continued. “I…oppa…”

Donghae waited in silence feeling despair fill his heart.

“Oppa…I’m pregnant.”

The words shook him like a mental earthquake. “What…did you just say?”

Hee Sun continued sobbing even harder and Donghae’s eyes went wide before he frowned painfully down at her. He recalled Eunhyuk’s words about how she’d been so sick lately and had refused a visit to the doctor’s. Donghae only found himself staring at the fragile girl unable to touch her or even comfort her. This girl who was sitting at his feet, who was like a younger sister to him…what did she want him to do?

/////

Victoria glanced at her watch again. An hour had gone by since she been standing in front of the department staring across the street. Where was he? What was holding him up? She knew he was coming from Incheon, but why was he taking so long to get to her? Taking a seat on the stairs she grabbed her phone and called him three times, but he didn’t pick up. Hanging up she decided she’d call him again in half an hour.

/////

Donghae sat on the chair against the wall leaning forward rubbing his hands together nervously. Hee Sun had been gone for almost half an hour now and during that half hour he’d been staring at the phone he held in hand. Victoria had called…10 times but he hadn’t found the courage to answer. He felt guilty toward her, yet his thoughts were conflicted. What was he supposed to do with Hee Sun? He didn’t want to make Victoria wait…but what could he say to her? Eunhyuk’s sister is pregnant so I’m staying with her? No matter what he said it all sounded like an excuse.

He finally turned when Hee Sun finally walked down from the hallway with something that looked like a paper in her hand. Donghae got up from where he was sitting while she made her way over.

“Is everything ok?” he asked.

Hee Sun didn’t reply but handed him the ultrasound scan of the baby. Donghae took it from her hand and glanced at the image of the baby behind the thin gray dark lines. A feeling of uncertainty flooded him and he looked up to see Hee Sun looking away from him.

“Should I keep him?”

He didn’t know what to say.

“I don’t even know the father…”

Pity and guilt struck him. He didn’t know what to say or what to do. He didn’t know what was the best way to comfort her. He couldn’t hug her.

“I’ll take you back,” Donghae said turning away and began walking down the hallway first.

Hee Sun, for the first time, silently followed.

After dropping her off at the dorm he watched her walk up the stairs and through the doors until she disappeared from sight. He flipped open his cell phone and glanced at Eunhyuk’s number then returned to the main menu then went back to Eunhyuk’s number then back to the main menu. Hee Sun was scared of telling her family and now he was filled with the burden of letting Hyuk know. Even if Hee Sun begged him not to tell Hyuk, he knew he had no other choice but to do so. But when should he tell him?

Yet, that wasn’t all the worries he was suddenly having at the moment. The father of the baby…where was he? Who was he? Why…had Hee Sun turned to him? Of all the people in her life, why him? How was he…supposed to help her? In what way? How was he…to explain himself to Victoria? The silent burden weighed heavily on his shoulders.

Starting the engine he drove around the neighborhood for almost an hour before he found himself in front of her house. Turning the headlights off he took out his keys, closed the door, and walked toward the front door. He didn’t know how late it was because he’d lost track of the time ever since Hee Sun had approached him.

Ringing the doorbell once he waited for her to come to the door. When she finally did an expression of happiness then worry filled her face.

“Where were you…” she couldn’t finish before he pulled her into a tight embrace. “Why? What’s wrong?” Victoria tried to pull free but found it impossible when he tightened his arms around her.

“You know I really like you. Even if I had to give up everything I would.”

“You’re too cheesy,” she told. “Can you let go of me? Where were you? Did something happen?”

“Yea…I don’t feel so well.” the both of them were silent before he said, “Can you baby me for a moment?”

Victoria wanted to laugh, but she found it inappropriate at the moment. And the aura he was emitting…felt too serious for her to try to mock him. Maybe something bad had happened. Without saying anything she placed her hand on his back patting him.

“In Seol…can you tell me what’s wrong? Can you tell me why it feels like I’m going to lose you again?” she silently asked glancing up at the dark blanket covering the night sky.

At dawn he awoke from the few hours of sleep he was able to manage. Getting up he walked into the kitchen to make some coffee to drink. After pouring the boiling water into his coffee mug he turned around to glance at the empty table where he’d been sitting with Victoria happily just a month and a half ago.


***FYI: Vic & Donghae have been seeing each other for a month and half but even so their relationship has gotten deep since they've known each other before officially becoming a couple. In Hee Sun's point of view, for a girl like her it's got to be difficult for to tell someone close to her about her pregnancy but in the end she still chose to tell Donghae because she has a high amount of trust in him-she chose not to turn to Hyuk because he's family. Logically, this complicates things for Donghae because he can't bring himself to tell Victoria the truth-and if you remember he's had relationships before but none of them have been important to him so he will have difficulty pulling through this one.